The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 2, 2017, 10:26 PM   #1
Truckeic

AR10 Build from 80%... Need advice

Ok..
So wanting to build AR10 from 80%. I bought 2 M1 machining. Got a deal on blem. Lower.

I want to build a 18" AR10.

I have looked at :
https://thundertactical.com/products...nt=25622465798

Which is very affordable. I have built 3 AR15s and AR9.
I have been able to find deals on parts but not finding deals on barrels.
I also have heard that some parts same as AR15 and some specific to the 10.

I have been told to get matched uppers.
So anyone built one?
If I want to use these M1 lowers who's uppers will fit.
hear these are dpms pattern.

Anyone know what parts.. any sites you advise to shop.. advice on building?

Thanks
Old July 3, 2017, 02:22 AM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

Here's my advice, you get better responses when posting threads in the correct forum.

Moving to semi auto RIFLEs...
Old July 3, 2017, 12:10 PM   #3
44caliberkid

Barrels are going to cost more, lots more material there. BCG's cost more too. Anything for AR-10 is more money, it's bigger. Go to Ballistic Advantage and sign up for their email notices. They have a "Barrel of the Week" on sale and sometimes it's a 308. Midway has DMPS barrels that are a little cheaper too. But remember, you get what you pay for.
You have to decide if you're going to do a DMPS type or other. Most DMPS type upper and lowers should match up. Forends (handguards) are DMPS specific also.
The take down/ pivot pins are AR-10 specific as is the bolt hold open/ release. Any AR trigger group with fit. You can get lower parts kits with just the AR-10 specific parts if you have a lot of other parts laying around.
You're going to end up with a grand in anything you build. Building AR's isn't cheaper, just more fun.
Old July 3, 2017, 04:52 PM   #4
stagpanther

I've built 5 AR 10 style rifle rifles--the basic construction is the same as AR 15's but that doesn't mean it's as easy or predictable as to how parts will come together. Subtle variations exist among various manufacturers--there really is no "mil-spec" but instead what comes closest is "DPMS compliant" and even that is fading as manufacturers increasingly are tossing standardization to the wind as they come out with "genx" proprietary designs.

I generally stick with DPMS standards--still need to watch out for high or low upper receivers as some retailers don't necessarily tell you which is which that they are selling to you. Unless you like banging your head against the wall (as I often end up doing) trying to figure out why your gun doesn't work properly EVEN when the parts you bought were theoretically DPMS compliant (think aftermarket harley parts) then your best bet is to get the upper and lower from the same manufacturer along with their parts kits--and EVEN THEN you still might have a glitch or two. LOL.

While an AR 15 fire control group might work OK--I would advise getting a set-up specifically made for an AR 10 type rifle. That is because it generally will take a bit more firing pin momentum for reliable ignition--most trigger groups for AR 10's usually have more hammer mass and a stronger hammer spring than a typical AR 15 fire control group.
Old July 3, 2017, 05:00 PM   #5
marine6680

The AR10 is already a compatibility mess...

Adding the complexity of an 80% lower to the mix... No thanks.

I don't even want to mess with 80% lowers on a standard AR. You save no money, usually spend more, it takes time, and you get an inferior item most of the time... Unless you have access to milling machines.

If its all about the "because I can, and like the challenge" then go for it.
Old July 4, 2017, 12:25 PM   #6
44caliberkid

Oh, Stags post reminds me, yes, there are DPMS high and low profile uppers and you have to make sure your choice of handguard is high or low, or the rail won't match. And use a high quality adjustable gas block too.
Old July 4, 2017, 04:59 PM   #7
Truckeic

Several reasons.. I really don't want paper work on any more guns... Not sure about the future..
And I like making my lowers.. built a CNC mill

Thanks for the info
Old July 4, 2017, 05:01 PM   #8
Truckeic

If it was not in the correct forum it was a mistake. But thanks for the advice sure helps out you know..
Old July 4, 2017, 06:08 PM   #9
44caliberkid

That kit from Thunder Tactical looks pretty good. Since you can do your own work you'd have a 308 AR for under 7 bills. You might call and ask about the country of origin for the parts. Get an adjustable gas block from Superlative Arms. It will really knock down the recoil.
Old July 4, 2017, 10:15 PM   #10
Truckeic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44caliberkid View Post
That kit from Thunder Tactical looks pretty good. Since you can do your own work you'd have a 308 AR for under 7 bills. You might call and ask about the country of origin for the parts. Get an adjustable gas block from Superlative Arms. It will really knock down the recoil.
It's even better than that.. they have a 20% off all summer long...

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk