The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 13, 2017, 02:46 AM   #1
25-06

Reloading issues

Hi,
I'm new to this forum because I'm having a few issues with my reloading. I'm reloading for a x-bolt 25-06 using nosler 100g BT's, IMR 4350 and using necked down 30-06 lapua brass.
My first issues is that the brass neck is not expanding at all after firing. I cannot put another bullet back in fired brass where I've heard a bullet should easily fall through. Resizing the brass doesn't really do much since it hasn't changed since its been fired. I'm not sure if this is an issue or not so any help on this would be appreciated
My second issue is my case trimmer was pretty inconsistent and the lengths of the brass range from 2.482" to 2.475". The maximum case length for 25-06 is 2.494". Should I re trim all the brass to 2.475" which is pretty short but at least then all my case lengths will be consistent?
Thanks a lot!
Old July 13, 2017, 05:38 AM   #2
BBarn

Sounds like the neck wall may be too thick and may need to be turned or reamed. Not uncommon when necking down.
Old July 13, 2017, 05:47 AM   #3
ligonierbill

That's your answer. Why neck down '06 brass? Brass for 25-06 is readily available.

What trimmer do you have? I can't imagine the trimmed brass would be inconsistent. Typical trim is max length-0.01. Since you're not crimping into a groove or cannelure or headspacing on the case mouth, I would trim to that and not worry about it. If some are shorter, OK.
Old July 13, 2017, 05:51 AM   #4
Salmoneye

If seating a bullet is not crushing shoulders, or cocking the bullet at an angle, then there is no issue IMNSHO...
Old July 13, 2017, 06:39 AM   #5
25-06

Cheers for the responses
The reason I necked down 30-06 is because in Australia Norma brass is on backorder by about 3 shipments if I ordered now, so its about a year away :/ and I didn't want to deal with other cheaper brass brands. I'm going to just trim everything to 2.480. Some will be a bit shorter but hopefully will be OK. Hopefully I should get a quite a few firings before having to re-trim. Should I even bother resizing my fired brass since they definitely will already have enough neck tension.
Cheers
Old July 13, 2017, 06:59 AM   #6
BumbleBug

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25-06
...Should I even bother resizing my fired brass since they definitely will already have enough neck tension.
Depends. If you are just target/experiment shooting just re-prime load & shoot. But without a body sizing the loaded rounds maybe tight on bolt close which you may not want in a hunting situation. Neck tension needs to be sufficient for magazine feed & rougher handling too.

Good Luck!
Old July 13, 2017, 07:23 AM   #7
cw308

I'm surprised your not having pressure issues , trimming shorter is less of a problem . l wouldn't use the brass . Hopefully your not jamming you bullet . Get the cheap brass at least it chambers properly . The case neck doesn't have room to expand an release the bullet , reloading your own is a great hobby , that issue your having is not a safe place to be . Please , don't use that brass . Be Safe.

Last edited by cw308; July 13, 2017 at 07:58 AM.
Old July 13, 2017, 07:46 PM   #8
scatterbrain

CW08

I though that was a good idea also, but learned about the neck thing and also learned about the volume difference. It can be done if nothing else is available.
Old July 13, 2017, 08:12 PM   #9
RC20

While what you are doing is fine long standing tradition, I would not ignore the so called cheaper bands.

RP and PPU are two that are quite good. Maybe not Lapua, but close. Settle in with those and then shoot the Norma when it comes in.

I would suggest a Gerard Tri Trimmer if you are a single caliber man or a Trim It II if you are doing multiple calibers. Both trim to about .005 and both trim, chamfer and deburr. Both are off the shoulder trimmers and INMSHO that's the only way to go.

I have tried the crank trimmer, erratic. Lots of mucking around.

The Gerard or Trim It II not at all (Trim it II takes setup time but is availed in far more calibers than Gerard.

Take your drill, turn it upside down, clamp it in a vice (towel if you want but the plastic ones are tough), lock it on speed and you can trim like a factory of about one every 3 seconds.
Old July 14, 2017, 07:35 AM   #10
flashhole

I reform 30-06 brass to 25-06 for my Ruger #1V. I have had great success using HXB headstamp cases and I find the case volume to be very consistent.

I have a similar issue to what you described - sooty case necks. I was thinking my case was not properly expanding.

I tried annealing the brass both before and after re-forming. Still got sooty case necks.

I tried (and still do) inside ream and outside turn the case necks to a uniform thickness. Still got sooty necks.

I favor slower burning powders because I get >90% case fill. I tried faster powders. Still got sooty necks.

Bottom line is accuracy with my handloads is fantastic. I stopped being concerned about sooty necks.

If your re-sized brass has tough bolt closure fold a small piece of aluminum foil three times and insert it into the shell holder. That will raise the case about .003" in the shell holder and you will see that .003" shoulder bump on the brass.

Are you ready for civil war?

Last edited by flashhole; July 14, 2017 at 08:34 AM.