The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 13, 2020, 09:47 PM   #51
1MoreFord

Over the years the majority of rounds I have shot in practice and matches have been reloads. I have a Dillon 450 setup in .45acp and a 1050 setup in .38Super. Those have been my most shot calibers.
Old December 24, 2020, 07:50 PM   #52
mrt949

I Shoot what I have at the present time .I Practice with my 3 carry guns Ruger sp101 357 mag ,SW MP 40C or SIG 365 9MM.
If i can hit a 3x5 in target at 21 feet i am good to go
Old December 24, 2020, 11:42 PM   #53
rc

Best bang for your buck right now is armscore bullets. Hornady XTPs have gone up so much and before that I would use Remington and Winchester a lot till the prices outpaced hornady.
Old December 25, 2020, 09:37 AM   #54
Kevin Rohrer

If your point of impact between both your reloads and hollowpoints matches and they both function reliably I think using reloads for primarily is fine.

^^This^^

Don't over-think simple things.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old December 25, 2020, 10:07 AM   #55
FireForged

If you are concerned that reloaded ammo is slightly different than the ammo you normally carry for SD, thats silly in my estimation. A gunfight is not likely to be lost over this difference or variance.

I say this assuming that you are not altering the guns recoil spring and firing ultra low power exhibition loads for your training purposes.

If your intent is to be accurate enough to shoot a jelly bean off of a golf tee at 25 yards, it might matter. Personally, that is not my mission and a slight difference in POI is not something I have ever cared about. I am a guy who carries for self defense, not bullseye shooting.

In my humble opinion, there are plenty of things that a fight might hinge upon but this aint likely to be it. Your footwear is probably more of a factor than any minor difference in POI regarding handloads/reloads and factory ammo, bullet weight or bullet profile. That is so long as we are not talking about shooting a target at exceedingly long distances. The longer the distance, the more such things matter.

Last edited by FireForged; December 25, 2020 at 12:28 PM.
Old December 25, 2020, 11:17 AM   #56
Shadow9mm

As long as point of impact is the same, that is what matters. Don't waste perfectly good HPs.
Old January 25, 2021, 07:03 AM   #57
Josh_Putman

All I shoot any more is my handloads. I try to mimic the feel of factory ammo recoil so I can learn to control it. I tried bunny fart loads for a short time, but quickly changed that.

My feeling is that if a person is using handloads and practicing for self defense, the ammo used should provide as close to the same recoil impulse as factory as you can get. Otherwise you are going to get lazy and sloppy, and when the chips are down, you won't be able to put rounds on target for multiple shots because your grip will quickly become compromised.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Old January 25, 2021, 08:13 PM   #58
pete2

I'll stir this a little further, practice with a 642 and max .38 w/158 gr bullets. Then everything else will be easy for you. I can't even imagine a J frame Airweight in .357 Mag.