The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 8, 2017, 02:12 PM   #1
Blindstitch

Temporarily Making a short barreled muzzleloader.

I got an odd question. I'm having trouble finding the info online but I have two cva optima v2 muzzleloaders. Ones a pistol and ones a rifle. The rifle shoots great but i'm new to pistols. I had groups at 10 yards but beyond that things went wild.

So the question is. If the Optima pistol and rifle are made from the same action can I take the pistol barrel legally and put it on the rifle action to at least sight it in?

It became a real kick in the hand loading 100 grain pellets pushing 240 projectile.

I realize if it was considered a firearm like a modern rifle this is a no go without paperwork.
Old November 8, 2017, 02:29 PM   #2
drobs

NFA laws don't apply to muzzle loaders.
So that means you can had a short barrel muzzle loading rifle. You can have a sawed off muzzle loading shotgun. A permanently attached suppressor on a muzzle loading revolving shotgun. A stock on a muzzle loading c@p and ball revolver with a barrel under 16 inches and an overall length under 26inches. A 72 caliber muzzle loading revolver with a 3 inch barrel a shoulder stock. Muzzle loaders are not considered firearms by federal law.
Old November 8, 2017, 07:24 PM   #3
Blindstitch

That's what I thought but I didn't want to make assumptions.
This would probably make a muzzleloader 30 inches long with a 14 inch barrel.

Is there a place where I can see the info first hand in case someone confronts me about it.
Old November 8, 2017, 09:02 PM   #4
Blindstitch

Think I found what I was looking for.

Determinants for Classification: Even though this weapon may exhibit a barrel shorter than 16 inches and/or an overall length less than 26 inches, it is not subject to NFA regulations governing those dimensions because it employs a primitive ignition system identified as an exempting characteristic.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearm...itions-antique
Old November 10, 2017, 01:41 PM   #5
noelf2

Not related to your question, but I have an optima v2 pistol, and get good groups out to 50 yards with 2 777 pellets, and a 250 grain hornady sabot bullet (or T/C shockwave, same thing).
Old November 22, 2017, 06:07 AM   #6
Blindstitch

Good to hear. I'm sure good groups can come out of it. By the 14th round my hand was starting to hurt. It's a fun kick in the hand.