The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old February 20, 2014, 07:17 PM   #1
tahunua001

input on a proposal for a new pistol course.

hello all,
my local range offers a number of different competitions however they mostly revolve around rifles and cowboy action. I would like to see a semi auto pistol course and will be pitching an idea to the board next month during the next club meeting and would like to know what you guys think. any suggestions, hints, tips ETC.

my proposed course of fire will be using a standard B27 target.
at 25 yards. fire 12 rounds in 5 minutes.

with two magazines loaded with 6 rounds each at 7 yards. gun safe and holstered.
draw and fire 2 shots in 4 seconds.
draw and fire 2 shots in 4 seconds.
draw and fire 2 shots, reload, fire 2 shots in 8 seconds.
draw, fire 2 shots strong hand, switch to week hand, fire 2 shots.

with 2 magazines loaded with 12 rounds each. at 15 yards with gun safe and holstered.
draw and fire 4 shots in 8 seconds.
draw and fire 4 shots in 8 seconds.
draw and fire 4 shots, reload, fire 4 shots in 20 seconds.
drop to kneeling, draw and fire 8 rounds in 20 seconds.

the scoring will follow the posted B27 score criteria from 10 to 7 points with no points for grazes. "X" ring will also be 10 points. perfect score would be 480 points.

looking forward to some constructive criticism.
Old February 21, 2014, 02:09 AM   #2
MarkDozier

It sounds like a little bit of bullseye and a little bit of pistol qualifications course for LE.
I suggest if you pistol line goes to 50 yards you look at bringing BULLSEYE shooting to your range.
Old February 21, 2014, 01:05 PM   #3
g.willikers

It's already been done for you.
The NRA Action Pistol game.
Add some barricades, a few more courses of fire and it's very close in many ways to what you are thinking.
You can download their rule book and stage designs from the NRA website, for comparison.
http://compete.nra.org/documents/pdf...n/act-book.pdf
Add a few wrinkles of your own and it would be an entertaining and easy match to setup and run.
Good luck with it, it should be a winning combination.
Old February 22, 2014, 05:35 AM   #4
lmccrock

If the proposal is to stand in a lane and shoot at a single target, then you have described NRA PPC: Police Pistol Combat. PPC courses are revolver-friendly 6 or 12 round strings, but close enough. Rules are at http://ppc.nra.org/documents/pdf/law...s/rulebook.pdf
Old March 7, 2014, 04:21 PM   #5
tahunua001

interesting. in order to have the NRA course I would have to pay several hundred dollars to be certified to hold the shoot though, the nearest NRA cert courses are all 6 hours drive from here and usually last 2 days so it would be difficult to consider that. also, just to compete in the PPC, you have to be either military, police or work for a security company that issues weapons... not a lot of people at my club fit those criteria.

I'm not much of a bullseye guy myself. I tolerate them for rifles but handguns at bullseyes just has no satisfaction for me I guess.
Old March 7, 2014, 04:26 PM   #6
zincwarrior

Have you considered starting a local IDPA or USPSA league?
Old March 7, 2014, 06:03 PM   #7
tahunua001

there is a USPSA club but they have a private club/range that they share with the local PDs so they only have 2 or 3 days a week that they have access to and their range memberships are ungodly expensive.
Old March 7, 2014, 06:20 PM   #8
Jim Watson

You do not have to be "certified" to shoot the PPC course of fire, just to hold authorized or sanctioned matches. Which NRA would not approve of in the first place, they do not want the image of "civilians" shooting at humanoid targets. But it is still a good event, with a lot of history and statistics.
Old March 8, 2014, 05:51 PM   #9
tahunua001

that's what I said. in order to hold the match I would have to pay to be certified.

if everyone else wanted to compete they would have be police/sec/military.
Old March 8, 2014, 06:00 PM   #10
g.willikers

Why do you want the matches to be authorized by anyone?
They can be called "In the Style of ......... Matches" or something similar.
Saves a lot of hassle and fees, to no real purpose for just a local match.
The matches would only need to be sanctioned if they were going to be official matches, follow the rule books exactly and hope that doing so helps participation.
No need to do that for what you have in mind.
Some of the best matches I've attended were completely home made and independent.
Old March 8, 2014, 10:17 PM   #11
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
that's what I said. in order to hold the match I would have to pay to be certified.
Not unless you want it to be NRA sanctioned.

In order to hold an NRA authorized/sanctioned match you would have to be certified, but I don't see anywhere in your original post where you said that this new match you are planning must be an NRA sanctioned match.

You don't have to be certified to hold a match with the same course of fire/scoring/targets as an NRA PPC match as long as you're not planning to advertise it as an NRA PPC match.
Quote:
if everyone else wanted to compete they would have be police/sec/military.
Again, you're imposing a restriction that doesn't exist.

You can hold your own match, call it a "Tahuana001 Semi-Auto Pistol Match" and make it IDENTICAL in every respect to an NRA PPC match (or change the aspects you don't like) and admit anyone you want to admit. You can even tell people that it's going to be exactly like an NRA PPC match as long as you don't claim it IS an NRA PPC match.

The NRA doesn't hold a copyright on the match format--the only time they would want to have a say in how a match is set up and run is if you're advertising the match as an NRA sanctioned match.
Old March 9, 2014, 05:20 PM   #12
Stephanie B

Quote:
You don't have to be certified to hold a match with the same course of fire/scoring/targets as an NRA PPC match as long as you're not planning to advertise it as an NRA PPC match.
That's kind of what my local club does. The match director also tinkers with the format from time to time to freshen things up a bit.
Old March 10, 2014, 01:48 PM   #13
tahunua001

Quote:
Not unless you want it to be NRA sanctioned.

In order to hold an NRA authorized/sanctioned match you would have to be certified, but I don't see anywhere in your original post where you said that this new match you are planning must be an NRA sanctioned match.

this is my point exactly, other members were suggesting that I just host an NRA sanctioned match which would require all that while as it stands all I want is some friendly neighborhood matches open to the public.
Old March 10, 2014, 02:18 PM   #14
zincwarrior

Quote:
Why do you want the matches to be authorized by anyone?
They can be called "In the Style of ......... Matches" or something similar.
Saves a lot of hassle and fees, to no real purpose for just a local match.
The matches would only need to be sanctioned if they were going to be official matches, follow the rule books exactly and hope that doing so helps participation.
No need to do that for what you have in mind.
Some of the best matches I've attended were completely home made and independent.
indeed, clubs hold unsanctioned matches all the time. Look at IDPA and USPSA drills, steel match drills etc. Work with others who might be interested and run your own series of matches. Just make it safe, and make it fun.
Old May 28, 2014, 06:17 PM   #15
Jeff22

PPC matches

Anybody can run a PPC match, using one of the many variations of the PPC course of fire.

Sanctioned NRA PPC matches are limited to law enforcement, police and security personnel. Anybody can run such a match, using those targets and that course of fire, it just wouldn't be NRA sanctioned. For a local club match that shouldn't matter much.

PPC is a great way to learn precision. Provided you are using the same equipment, PPC can be good preparation for IDPA or USPSA shooting.

One of the local A class USPSA shooters tells everybody that he never made it into A class until he started shooting PPC indoors in the winter. PPC shooting made him develop his accuracy skills