The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 13, 2012, 06:06 PM   #1
trg42wraglefragle

Savannah rifle scopes

I came across this brand of scopes when looking for Bushnells.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=501952941

They claim a lot, and even reckon they are made in the same factory as Bushnell. But you know, generally if something seems to good to be true it probably is.

Just interested if anyones heard of them or seen one before.

I think I'll keep looking for a Nikon or Bushnell though
Old August 13, 2012, 08:48 PM   #2
warbirdlover

New name to me.
Old August 13, 2012, 08:57 PM   #3
big al hunter

Never heard of them. But I like these. http://vortexoptics.com the diamonds series is comparable to Nikon prostaff. The viper series is what I prefer.
Old August 13, 2012, 09:06 PM   #4
Discern

Just because something is made in the same factory does not mean they use the same quality of materials, have the same qualified/trained workers make their product, use the same machines/processing line or use the same manufacturing techniques. IMO, being made is the same factory means little to nothing. What does a factory do with product that does not meet the standards of Company A? Do these items become possible product for Company B? Having quality parts, quality designed/engineered product, assembled by quality/trained people with a realistic time to do a good job, and a quality manufacturing/assembling process are key.

I had a professor in college who worked in a vegetable canning plant for a time, and they canned vegetables for several different companies. One company (a private label of a supermarket chain) was the pickiest company regarding quality and sanitary conditions. If I understood correctly, this supermarket chain actually had at least one member of their company present on the plant floor at all times when they were doing a run for that company. They hated having a run for that supermarket company because of the quality standards they had to achieve for the product to be accepted.
Old August 13, 2012, 10:01 PM   #5
big al hunter

Discern,
I would think that it would be similar to the auto industry. Acura is made in the same plant, by the same hands, to the same standards, with interchangeable parts as Honda. If the same is true with Savannah and Bushnell, then I would say they have the same chance of having problems or not having problems. However as with the Honda/Acura models there may be "luxury" differences like optical coatings, better tracking adjustments, warranty differences, etc.
I still prefer vortex scopes and Chevy trucks though.
Old August 13, 2012, 10:41 PM   #6
Discern

Big Al,

I believe Honda's parent company owns the factory, and the workers are their employees. Leupold and some other optics manufactures actually own the plant where all or some of their optics are assembled, and the employees are their employees. Others do not necessarily own the plant nor are the workers their employees. Instead, they negotiate with the owner of the plant a fee to assemble their product. They may even negotiate with the company to provide or secure the components necessary for the product.

There are only a few manufactures of automotive and industrial batteries. These manufactures will produce batteries according to the specs of each individual company, and will use a manufacturing process that will still allow them to make money (or not lose much money) on a particular line.

As to parts for automotive and heavy equipment, just because a part has the same design and is for the same parent company does not necessarily mean it has gone through the same QC and inspection process. Some companies will actually do different runs for some critical parts, and the parts for the higher dollar product will quite often receive more QC and attention to detail in the manufacturing process. It is not likely a new employee will be trained on the higher dollar product like they will be used for training on the lower dollar product. If there is a possible problem with the raw stock and there is not time for new stock to arrive, it is very likely the lower quality stock is not used for the higher priced item.

There is a company who supplied parts to both the firearm industry and engine companies. Years ago, who the part was for made a difference in the QC and who worked on the line for that part. I am not sure if that is still the case, but I would not be surprised. I also would not be surprised it this happens at many if not most companies.
Old August 14, 2012, 12:42 AM   #7
big al hunter

Sounds like I can add another reason to the list of why I shouldn't buy a Bushnell. I agree with you that it is possible, actually I will go with very likely that the 2 lines are run separately. And that they probably are made to different standards. Which one is better? Without further investigation we may never know. With that I will wait to see what others say in a hope that my knowledge will be increased.
Discern,
I have read many of your posts in the past and I respect your knowledge. I was acknowledging the possibility that it COULD be similar quality, not that it was absolutely. It stands to reason that it is less expensive to use the same machines and materials, the same design criteria and similar standards, with the same people trained to do the work. Though that may not always be the case, this is what I have been taught in my industry. I hope I did not offend you, if I did I apologize.
Old August 14, 2012, 04:05 AM   #8
trg42wraglefragle

If we are talking about production lines.
My partner works for a diary company that makes all sorts of products.

One product they make for a customer is exactly the same as her company's product with a different packaging, yet the other company sells the product for twice the price.

And in some ice cream they make the best quality most expensive ice cream they make for customers has only about 3 major testing they do on it yet a budget cheap brand of ice cream has 13 major testing they do.

Not sure how that relates to the original post i posted.....

I was just wondering if anyone has heard of them.
I'm almost tempted to get one as its cheap and comes with a 5year warranty which is better than nothing I guess.
But no doubt I would just wish I'd saved for a Nikon Monarch.
Old August 14, 2012, 08:02 AM   #9
Te Anau

Remember that the OP is from a New Zealand member,so these Savannah scopes might be in the USA under a completely different name.