The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 11, 2016, 09:58 PM   #1
Vet66

School me on a Ruger Security Six

So I was at my local gun shop this morning and, spotted a 4" Security Six
like new condition, sporting original and, target grips, no box etc. Price tag
was $450. I felt this was a bit high, super nice revolver but....what are your thoughts?
Old March 11, 2016, 10:05 PM   #2
smee78

The Security Sixes are fun revolvers and are great shooters. I love a good 4" shooter and would not sell mine for that price. They have been slowly going up over the years but a good condition 4" is hard to find. Unless you are looking to run a ton of mags through the gun it should serve you well.
Old March 11, 2016, 10:24 PM   #3
RetiredMajor

I own two of these guns, 2 3/4 inch and 4 inch barrels. They are excellent revolvers, strong and accurate. If I came across a like new 4 inch for that price, I would buy it just for the investment. These guns were "over built" and will last a lifetime or two. Major
Old March 12, 2016, 08:38 AM   #4
Real Gun

I am glad I am a reloader, because my 4" Security Six is pretty harsh to shoot with full power ammo, and that boxed stuff is typically tamed down from the level of the earlier days of the cartridge.

Keep in mind how long the gun has been out of production. Getting parts, especially barrels, can be a no-go these days. I needed a barrel for a Service Six 38 Special and admit I at least found plenty of used, 357 magnum barrels for the Security Six.
Old March 12, 2016, 08:56 AM   #5
Bayou

I bought a SS Security Six when Carter was in the WH. It's a phenomenal revolver. Six inch barrel on mine.

I've put thousands upon thousands of rounds through mine. If you picked up the revolver today, it would look and feel brand new. The cylinder still locks tight when cocked, and everything on this piece operates very smoothly.

Just a gem of a revolver all the way around.....Hard to see how it could've been improved on....

Bayou

Bayou
NRA Life Member
"Keep Calm and Reload"

Last edited by Bayou; March 12, 2016 at 09:11 AM.
Old March 12, 2016, 09:36 AM   #6
turkeestalker

I do not own one... yet.
I honestly do not think that the price is out of line by much if any. At a local gun show last month I spotted a well used stainless 6" that the seller had $649 on... that was out of line.
My favorite LGS who prices more honestly than any I've ever visited has sold a couple that I'm aware of in the ball park of what yours is asking.
I would buy it without hesitation if it is truly LN condition.
Old March 12, 2016, 10:50 AM   #7
loknload

I have a 4" Security Six and I found it a year ago a gun show. These things are really getting hard to find in my neck of the woods! Its in really good condition, no box or papers I paid $400. for it.
These things are built to last and it's fun to shoot!
Old March 12, 2016, 12:27 PM   #8
shootniron

They are old and HARD to find parts for...and Ruger no longer supports them.
Old March 12, 2016, 01:38 PM   #9
Model12Win

You will never need a part for a Six series gun anyway. These aren't Colt Pythons, they are freaking tanks. They, along with the new GP100 series, are perhaps the most durable and rugged double action revolvers ever made.

Buy with confidence.
Old March 12, 2016, 01:45 PM   #10
roaddog28

If the condition is as good as you say, I would buy the revolver. Six series revolvers by Ruger are the most underrated revolvers in my opinion. Stronger than a S&W K frame and the quality from Ruger is better than the current GP100 which is not finished as well as the Security Six. Even though Ruger does not support this revolver parts are available in the aftermarket. Remember, not much ever goes wrong with Security Sixes and they are built to outlast their owner.
Good luck.
Old March 12, 2016, 01:49 PM   #11
Wishoot

I have a blued 2 3/4" Security Six I got in a trade a couple of years ago.

I absofreakinloutely love that little revolver. Built as tough as they come, easy to carry OWB and soaks up recoil as well as my 4" GP 100.

$400-$450 around these parts isn't too bad of a deal. I've seen people ask for more.
Old March 12, 2016, 02:04 PM   #12
willr

I have one, 6" barrel. Buy the one you saw before the price goes up! Highly recommended.
willr
Old March 12, 2016, 02:33 PM   #13
kilimanjaro

They are priced at $500 around here, and they sell for that.

You can chase fifty bucks around as many gun shops as you like for as many years as you like, but the bottom line is, it's a fair price and like-new condition as you say.
Old March 12, 2016, 04:19 PM   #14
357 Python

Back in the late 1970s when I started getting into handguns because of my job (Armed Security Officer) I passed up a couple of opportunities to purchase a Ruger Security Six. I didn't know anything about them and only knew a bit about Colt and S&W. I thought the Ruger was an off brand that was not of the quality of Colt or S&W. Man was I wrong. That was a mistake I have regretted for a long time. Over the years I have come to learn just how much quality the Ruger truly has. If it is in good mechanical shape I would buy it at $450.
Old March 12, 2016, 05:56 PM   #15
Vet66

OK, you convinced me.....going to pick it up. Thanks all.
Old March 12, 2016, 06:31 PM   #16
ScaryWoody

I'd go for it. That isn't a bad price if it's decent shape. Spare parts are a bit hard to come by.
Old March 13, 2016, 12:52 AM   #17
shootniron

Quote:
You will never need a part for a Six series gun anyway. These aren't Colt Pythons, they are freaking tanks. They, along with the new GP100 series, are perhaps the most durable and rugged double action revolvers ever made.

Buy with confidence.
Apparently, you don't hang around on Ruger forums...these revolvers do have weaknesses.

And, even the old hands on the Ruger forums advise folks of the parts caveat...because they are needed frequently.

Just another case of an internet expert giving bad advice.
Old March 13, 2016, 04:25 AM   #18
b.thomas

Quote:
Apparently, you don't hang around on Ruger forums...these revolvers do have weaknesses.

And, even the old hands on the Ruger forums advise folks of the parts caveat...because they are needed frequently.

Just another case of an internet expert giving bad advice.

Interesting! I log on to the Ruger website daily and never heard of what you wrote? If anything quite the opposite.
Possibly I'm on the Wrong Ruger Website??
Old March 13, 2016, 06:15 AM   #19
Homerboy

What parts on a Six need frequent replacing? I'm a member of the Ruger forum and never see any mentions of that.

Matter of fact, unless you beat a gun to death, what part of ANY revolver frequently needs replacing? Cause I've never had to replace any parts on ANY of my revolvers.

The Six series were great guns and Ruger tough. I love my Service Six. L frame toughness in an K frame size. And if it DOES break, Ruger will take care of you. I've seen posts on forums where Ruger replaced a Six with a new gun of your choice, either at no cost or at very low cost.
Old March 13, 2016, 09:05 AM   #20
amd6547

I owned a four inch stainless Security Six for a few years, and it was a fine revolver.
But I have to say I much prefer the 3" GP100 I own now. It just seems a better revolver in every way.
If I was buying today, and I could pick up either an Security Six or a GP100 for close to the same price, I'd take the GP every time.
Old March 13, 2016, 12:45 PM   #21
Real Gun

"You will never need a part for a Six series gun anyway"

That is hyperbole, a bit too fanboy. There is a reason why parts are sold out for these guns. I do like mine, along with my Service Six 38 Special.
Old March 13, 2016, 12:51 PM   #22
Real Gun

Quote:
And if it DOES break, Ruger will take care of you. I've seen posts on forums where Ruger replaced a Six with a new gun of your choice, either at no cost or at very low cost.
Had a Service Six with a worn out barrel, and indeed, Ruger replaced it with an offer of what I am guessing is wholesale on a gun of my choice. That write-off though made my Match Champion into a $1000 gun. It also taught me that selling off a gun you know isn't right is unethical. I have been the chump a couple times too many.
Old March 13, 2016, 01:07 PM   #23
Mobuck

Security Six was originally designed a a "working gun" to handle 357 magnum but in a slightly smaller package than L-frame S&W. Over the years I've owned around a dozen Sec 6's. Currently have a mint blue 6" Magna-ported, 4" SS with the slickest trigger I've EVER seen on a DA revolver, and a pair of 4" blue chore guns.
I've shot a lot of stuff with a Sec 6-all sorts of varmints from possums to coyotes and a few deer. I still carry one of the 4" in a shoulder holster under my winter coat or on my belt in summer if I won't be able to carry a rifle while doing farm work.
Old March 13, 2016, 03:04 PM   #24
Model12Win

Quote:
Security Six was originally designed a a "working gun" to handle 357 magnum but in a slightly smaller package than L-frame S&W.
BS. The Ruger Six series came out nearly a decade before the first S&W L-frame.
Old March 13, 2016, 05:03 PM   #25
Homerboy

Quote:
BS. The Ruger Six series came out nearly a decade before the first S&W L-frame.
Correct. The Six series revolver was designed to compete with the K frame .357 that S&W put out. That model had some issues with .357 ammo lighter than 158 grain. The K frame .357 was simply a K frame .38 with a few mods to make it capable of firing .357, but even S&W cautioned against frequent .357 use in their K frames. The Six was designed from the ground up to shoot .357, and it did not have the flat spot on the forcing cone that was the weak spot for K frame .357's. When S&W came out with the L frame, Ruger came out with the GP series, mainly because they wanted the uneducated buyer to think the Six series had the same weakness as the K frame magnums. And because it was cheaper to make the GP than the Six guns.

And before anybody says it, I have owned at LEAST 10 K frame .357's. 65's, 66's, 19's, 13's. Sweet guns, for sure. But my .357 diet for them was very light. And that came directly from S&W's mouth.

Say all you want about the elegance of the K frame .357's (and I would agree), but the Six revolvers were everything the K frame .357's should have been. S&W was just too lazy to make a K frame .357 for serious use. Which is why the K frame .357 went away nearly 15 years ago, until the new 66 came out. But I would hardly compare the new 66 with a classic Model 19. two piece barrel, MIM parts, internal lock, frame mounted firing pin? Hardly in the same class as the old school K frames. Yeah, the new 66 is better suited to .357 ammo, but I'd rather shoot exclusively .38 ammo in a 40 year old 66 than .357 ammo in a new 66.

Last edited by Homerboy; March 13, 2016 at 05:09 PM.