The Firing Line Forums
Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > S.W.A.T. Magazine

Old May 21, 2005, 02:52 PM   #1
USP45usp

Disappointed

I didn't even get past page 24.

I'm disappointed that I got to the end of the article and I see "continued on page 110".

The biggest problem that I have with gun mags is that you have to flip back and forth just to finish an article.

Yes, I realize that this is petty. Yet I also realize that I purchase things according to what I like about them.

I will carry on with the remainder of this subscribtion, but I don't think that I will renew.

What I can't understand is this, why did you change a format that worked? Why, why, why?

Wayne
USP45usp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2005, 03:02 PM   #2
USP45usp

Maybe I was abit short here. I don't want SWAT to go the way of the other mags and have to flip flop back and forth to read an article.

On new meds for the muscle degradation. My apologizes.

Wayne
Old May 21, 2005, 04:20 PM   #3
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Jump pages with SWAT are avoided at all costs. It's a Rule with us. When you see them it's because there is no other way to lay out the rest of the article. In this case, there were 3, 1/3 page carry overs for articles. There were not 3, 2/3 page ads to fill in the individual spaces.

Solutions:
1) Cut editorial from those articles....we don't do that
2) Puff those articles up to fill.....we don't do that
3) Fill with SWAT promo ads (this would have cut at least one of the articles entirely). We chose not to do that.

Layout is far more art than science. Sorry you have to occasionally flip a page. It's not by design as with other books.
Rich
Rich Lucibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2005, 04:46 PM   #4
USP45usp

Rich,

Understood.

Like I said, I was a bit hasty. I just didn't wish to see SWAT go the way of every other gun mag out there because the format as is works for me.

Wayne
Old May 21, 2005, 07:57 PM   #5
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Wayne-
Won't happen. I've never understood the reason for jump pages and have always assumed it was to get you to look at more ads. I may be wrong, but I'm not interested enough to learn the reasons why.

The mag will continue to be presented the way you (and Denny and I) prefer it....simple and straightforward. Per my earlier response, this does not always mean no jumps, but it means no gratuitous jumps.
Rich
Rich Lucibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2005, 08:54 PM   #6
USP45usp

Understood.

Wayne
Old May 22, 2005, 10:57 AM   #7
USP45usp

Sorry about yesterday. This is the reason that the docs want people to start new meds on their days off to find out how it's going to affect them.

Yesterday I started on it (form of steriod) and got the side affects such as body cramps, stomach irritation, fatique, and especially irritability.

The doc said that it would mimic PMS (I think he said this as a joke) but I tell you what men, NEVER make fun of your woman again when she says that she has that, it's not fun (the body cramps, stomach, etc.., don't know about the other part).

So again, I apologize. I did notice that it was only three articles and that they were on the same page (110) and not "turn to page 84 on one and then turn to page 100 on another, etc..).

You folks do a fine job at SWAT and I hope that you continue to do so (which I know you will).

Wayne
Old June 2, 2005, 10:50 PM   #8
Kestrel

Rich,

Glad to hear it. The magazines out there with the excessive jump pages are too laborious to keep my interest long-term. It's also a sign of sub-par layout talent. (Of course, that seems to go hand-in-hand with poor content, a lot of the times.)
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2005, 08:17 AM   #9
VaughnT

Ya know, I saw this and was wondering the same thing. I think that most folks are tired of jumping pages to finish an article, and not having to do that really set SWAT magazine apart from the rest of the mags on the rack.

One of the greatest things about SWAT, though, is that you can come here and get the skinny on such things. I'll be buying the mag in the future.

Thanks, Rich.
Old June 17, 2005, 01:52 PM   #10
gfxezrd

Yeah Its all about ads.

i work in the publication business doing layouts for magazines. They definately do it for ad cirrculation. They can charge more. Sometimes its because of the articles length, but you can always tell when they start more than one article on a single page and send you to two different sections to finish the individual article. You will normaly see an ad-s on every follow on page. i like swat because its easy to follow articles. Aside from the usefull content. not all guns mags have that much real world usefullness.
gfxezrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2005, 10:05 PM   #11
USP45usp

gfxezrd,

I agree with what you say. I overreacted when I had to switch over to page 110 on that issue, it gave me flashbacks but they did contain the three articles on the same page, I only had to flip once and even better, the "turn to" was the correct page number (unlike combat handguns).

I don't have the understanding to ensure that a major magazine is published and sent worldwide, what it takes to do so. I do know that the only reason that we are able to get it at the prices that we do is because of the advertisements within the magazine. Without those, we would be paying the blunt of the machine costs, the electric to run them, the ink and the paper. A small, but well placed inconvenience is worth it compared to what you get.

Wayne