The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old May 14, 2019, 08:19 PM   #51
kenny53

I pocket carry a LCP in a sticky holster weak side, sometimes I carry the LCR 22mag weakside, and I have been pocket carrying a M&P 9c strong side also in a sticky holster. I have run into a problem lately. I have lost 50 lbs so far and went into a smaller size pants. These pants have smaller pockets. I can get the guns into the pockets just fine but getting them out again has become difficult. Thinking about hitting a pizza buffet or two and get back in the bigger pants.
Old May 14, 2019, 09:26 PM   #52
MisterCrabby

LCP II, Stock pocket holster, critical defense.
Old May 14, 2019, 11:05 PM   #53
wild cat mccane

I carry my P365 in a Smartcarry holster.

I also own the LCP. Yes. The overall sizedifference is large even though the numbers appear little.
Old May 15, 2019, 12:29 AM   #54
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
In a breast pocket of a flannel shirt, or jean's pocket, it's a Ruger LCP 380acp in a Desantis Nemesis.
That's impressive. I've carried pens and pen lights in the breast pocket of shirts. I rather enjoy carrying a pocket knife there but it really has to be the right combination of knife and shirt. Carrying loose without a clip is one thing. Having a thin and lightweight knife that balances well on a loop-over clip is wonderful when it works out.

I have a hard time imagining a firearm up there... What kind of flannels do you wear?
Old May 15, 2019, 12:53 AM   #55
pwc

All of this is very interesting, but there is another dimension that hasn't been addressed....IWB/OWB leaves pockets for more "normal" use for change, keys, money clip, small pocket knife or other more normal things.

Pocket holster, sticky or otherwise takes room, and a mag/speed loader on the other with normal pocket impedimenta is problematic too. How do you carry the stuff needed for everyday life; and don't say "i just carry a credit card".
Old May 15, 2019, 05:23 AM   #56
PSP

I chose the Beretta Pico as my pocket carry because it has every feature I desire in a pocket gun; DAO trigger, ultra thin profile, snag free and small overall. It also has the modular design that allows complete takedown in seconds, the ability to have three different frames with integrated light or laser or plain-Jane. The Pico has excellent sights. Mine has been completely reliable with a wide variety of ammo. Choose either the flat base mag or an extended mag base. The price is right and the quality is high. Personally I use the laser equipped model and like it very much.

I've also carried the wonderful Seecamp LWS32. So tiny and reliable.

I use the thinnest holster I can find. Nothing else goes in that pocket, no change, no keys, nothing but holstered gun.

Old May 15, 2019, 05:49 AM   #57
JERRYS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwc View Post
All of this is very interesting, but there is another dimension that hasn't been addressed....IWB/OWB leaves pockets for more "normal" use for change, keys, money clip, small pocket knife or other more normal things.

Pocket holster, sticky or otherwise takes room, and a mag/speed loader on the other with normal pocket impedimenta is problematic too. How do you carry the stuff needed for everyday life; and don't say "i just carry a credit card".
I'm not diabetic or have any other health issues so when I carry with limited pocket numbers it isn't a problem. wallet in back pocket, keys and spare mag in off side front pocket, cell phone in other back pocket with knife clipped in, gun in strong side front pocket. I don't have the excessive need to chap stick my lips all the time or write down license plate numbers on a pad of paper. I don't have a bunch of keys like Snyder from one day at a time, basically if I'm in shorts or pants and a regular leisure shirt I'm not trying to solve the world's problems.

I've seen some photos of what people carry everyday and see it reasonable for when wearing a suit or some other type of jacket which affords an increase in pocket numbers.... but if I need to carry a back pack or fanny bag to get through the day, am I really relaxing on my time off? that said, I don't usually pocket carry like that. when I'm not working I usually do not wear a tucked in shirt so a gun and spare mag on the waist line is what I usually do.
Old May 15, 2019, 08:06 AM   #58
Onward Allusion

Quote:
How do you carry the stuff needed for everyday life; and don't say "i just carry a credit card".
Er, my EDC consists of: knife, keys, primary & BUG, wallet, & a large screen phone. Granted, the wallet is one of those super thin things made from sailcloth and knife is just a 3" Gerber folder... We have a casual dress code at work so I wear jeans to work. I do toss my primary gun in my briefcase when I get to the office, however.

...so unless one is thin as a rail and wears skinny jeans, it can be done.
Old May 15, 2019, 09:12 AM   #59
rpseraph

I pocket carry a Ruger LCP II in an Alabama Kydex Front Pocket Holster probably 4-5 days per week. I am also in a professional environment that sometimes does not allow for IWB carry.

I also carry a flashlight, multi-tool, and pocket knife always everywhere all the time. I have lots of different combos I rotate between for these items. I have set-up for a form fitting light summer suit, and a setup for cargo pants and a winter jacket

I am trying to work in a small med kit somewhere on my body.. I have one in my work laptop bag and my car... but it's something I'm trying on-body (PPE, tourniquet, maybe a chest-seal, some gauze, work in progress)
Old May 15, 2019, 10:33 AM   #60
reteach

Quote:
How do you carry the stuff needed for everyday life
I do carry more stuff on my belt - phone, knife, extra mag or speedloader - when I carry my pistol in my pocket. I almost always keep my shirt untucked, so those things are usually covered, but when they're not, it doesn't matter. I like to keep the gun concealed.

So, gun in right front pocket, keys, change (in a small leather pouch) and maybe a small pocket knife in left front pocket, wallet in left back pocket, and bandanna in right back pocket. The bandanna is there for multiple uses, including first aid kit. Phone, reload and large folding knife on the belt, all in Klein tool pouches that look less than tactical.

I did find some pants at Cabela's that have an extra pocket on the right front side, sort of behind the regular pocket. They don't look like cargo pants or tactical pants and the extra pocket can hold one of those belt items.
Old May 15, 2019, 11:17 AM   #61
Cosmodragoon

Quote:

This isn't as challenging as it might seem. Key ring and coins go in my left pocket. My pocket gun is an LCR 327, which stays on the right in a pocket holster. I resign myself to the six rounds and don't carry a reload.

I always wear button-up shirts with a shirt pocket on at least one side. I make use of those pockets for pens, a pen light, a small writing pad and sometimes a thin folding knife. I know it's old school but I always feel a little sloppy when my shirt is untucked. I used to carry IWB but I'm happier not dealing with it.

I'll often wear tasteful cargo pants, like the basic khaki Wranglers you can find at any Target or Walmart. That lets me put my phone, wallet, some medical supplies, (etc.) in the cargo pockets. I prefer that even if I'm not pocket-carrying because I don't like having bulk in my back pockets. I sometimes clip a pocket knife with loop-over clip inside the furthest right edge of my back pocket. That ends up being unobtrusive and easy to reach in these pants.

If I have to wear slacks, that usually means I'm also going to be wearing a sport jacket, blazer, field coat, leather jacket, etc. Any of those add enough pockets to make up the difference. In colder weather when I can guarantee use of such a garment, I'll go to shoulder carry as my suspenders.
Old May 15, 2019, 11:47 AM   #62
jar

What carry stuff?

In rear pockets will be a wallet and handkerchief.

Strong side front pocket will be pocket knife and car, house & mailbox keys on a ring.

Weak side front pocket will be a handgun in a good stiff holster.

Fountain pen in a shirt breast pocket.

At times there may be a second handgun carried in an OWB holster at 4 o'clock.

Cell phone stays at home.

Left wrist will be a watch with separate SIM card, cell phone access and remote forwarding from the cell phone at home. The watch can make and receive calls, text messages, alerts and has my contact list. Also interfaces with speakers and controls in the car with auto-response that I'm driving and will return calls or texts later.

Can't think of anything much else I need when out and about.
Old May 15, 2019, 12:34 PM   #63
Doyle

Quote:
Strong side front pocket will be pocket knife and car, house & mailbox keys on a ring.

Weak side front pocket will be a handgun in a good stiff holster.
Did you mistype or do you really carry your handgun in your weak side pocket?
Old May 15, 2019, 04:10 PM   #64
jar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle View Post
Did you mistype or do you really carry your handgun in your weak side pocket?
No mistype. Yes, handgun in weak side pocket. Often there will also be a handgun OWB strong side but in those cases it's kinda semi concealed or open carry.

I believe that for self defense I need to be equally proficient from strong or weak side.

Last edited by jar; May 15, 2019 at 04:16 PM.
Old May 15, 2019, 08:07 PM   #65
dgludwig

Quote:
I believe that for self defense I need to be equally proficient from strong or weak side.
Most of us have a "strong" and "weak" side-which is why most, if not all of us, carry our handguns in the pocket of our "strong" side. If you're equally proficient from either side, why would you call either side weak or strong as you did in the post Doyle quoted?
Old May 15, 2019, 08:13 PM   #66
Crankylove

I pocket carry an NAA Mini .22 Mag/.22 LR while at work.

I’d prefer bigger (caliber wise), but it’s about the only thing I can get away with at work.
Old May 15, 2019, 11:00 PM   #67
wild cat mccane

I was going to suggest a LCP in a kydex pocket holster from Grandfather Oaks. Grandfather Oaks was 20 bucks compared the Alabama's 40 for about the exact same thing.

Couldn't find Grandfather Oaks website up...

You can't make this up...the two owners of Grandfather Oaks:
North Carolina Man Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Conspiring To Kidnap And Murder As Part Of An Overseas Murder-For-Hire Scheme
https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/pr...nd-murder-part
Old May 16, 2019, 06:41 AM   #68
jar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgludwig View Post
Most of us have a "strong" and "weak" side-which is why most, if not all of us, carry our handguns in the pocket of our "strong" side. If you're equally proficient from either side, why would you call either side weak or strong as you did in the post Doyle quoted?
I'm generally right handed, but that is an issue when it comes to self defense. I generally hold things in my right hand, coffee, phone, tools, food ...; and so in a self defense incident it's very possible my right hand will be already busy doing stuff. And up close and personal it is my right hand that is best used for any physical defense; warding or throwing or swiping or posturing...

So I tend to favor my left hand as the handgun hand. It is more likely empty, not where most folk concentrate and so that is where I carry my concealed handgun.

But that also means I need to practice with it, practice presentation, practice holstering, practice shooting, practice coordinating and changing hands.
Old May 16, 2019, 06:48 AM   #69
Doyle

Jar, I certainly can't fault your logic. In fact, now that my right shoulder is giving me so many problems (rotator cuff) I'm having to use my left hand for more than I would have thought possible.
Old May 17, 2019, 07:33 PM   #70
USMCFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar View Post
I'm generally right handed, but that is an issue when it comes to self defense. I generally hold things in my right hand, coffee, phone, tools, food ...; and so in a self defense incident it's very possible my right hand will be already busy doing stuff. And up close and personal it is my right hand that is best used for any physical defense; warding or throwing or swiping or posturing...

So I tend to favor my left hand as the handgun hand. It is more likely empty, not where most folk concentrate and so that is where I carry my concealed handgun.

But that also means I need to practice with it, practice presentation, practice holstering, practice shooting, practice coordinating and changing hands.
Jar, Very interesting rationale, and as a former LE firearms instructor, makes a lot of sense to me. As long as someone practices and is proficient with what was initially their "off" hand made into an equally proficient hand through practice, certainly good thinking.
Old May 18, 2019, 11:10 AM   #71
pete2

I normally pocket carry, use a cheap nylon Walmart pocket holster or no holster at all, carry a 642 revolver. I have an LC9 and it'll fit in my pocket but I can't draw fram my pocket with it due to the shape of the gun so back to the 642.
Old May 18, 2019, 11:30 AM   #72
FITASC

Quote:

Being LH, LCP/642/CM9 or whatever in left front pocket; watch, keys, small meds vial in right front pocket; wallet in left side cargo pocket; no knife or reload or flashlight or baton (which I personally find silly to be "needing all of that"
K.I.S.S.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 18, 2019, 10:33 PM   #73
Siggy-06

Ruger LCP gen 2 in a Desantis Nemesis, right front pocket every day. Size, capacity, and weight are all perfect for my pocket carry needs.
Old May 19, 2019, 03:22 AM   #74
Kemikos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackstrawIII View Post
1. Does any of you actually pocket carry on a consistent basis?
Pretty much every workday. I can't carry IWB at work because of the type of work I do.

Quote:
2. If so, what sort of gun do you carry? J-frame, micro 1911, something else? (I'll be sticking with something in either 9mm or 38 Spl, and I'd prefer it to be DA or have a 1911 style safety)
So far I have only found two 9mm pistols that will fit, fully covered, in a jeans pocket. I've tried with the Shield, XDS, Glock 43, and Kimber Micro 9. They all are partially exposed when in the pocket. In many places that'd be fine, but where I work, while it's legal to carry, if management found out that I was carrying, I'd probably lose my job. I need the gun fully concealed.

The two that will fit are the Rorbaugh R9 and the Bond Arms Bullpup9. They're very different guns, but both are all-metal DAO pistols with an OAL of about 5 inches (all the guns above are at least 6" long, which is why they don't fully conceal). They're both in the $1100 MSRP range, so getting into a 9mm that completely fits in a jeans pocket won't be cheap.

The Rorbaugh is thinner, carries 6+1, is not +P rated, and has a 2.9" barrel. It's not designed to be fired much; the manufacturer recommends replacing the recoil spring every 200 rounds. I believe it's currently out of production.

The Bullpup has a quite unique action that lets them squeeze a 3.4" barrel into a frame that's actually shorter than the Rorbaugh. It's slightly thicker, holds 7+1, and is +P rated. Unlike the R9, you can shoot it as much as you want; however, one thing to note is that because of the unusual action, certain ammunition won't work (specifically, reloads and really cheap target ammo that don't have the bullet crimped into the shell will separate under recoil, causing jams). Bond has an extensive list of ammo on their website that's been tested to work (WWB is their recommended target ammo, and practically any self-defense loading is good); feed it anything on that list and you'll never have a problem.

I carry the Bullpup. It's actually pleasant to shoot, compared to other subcompact 9mms. The trigger pull is long, but relatively light and very smooth (think "S&W revolver with a trigger job" smooth). I've said my piece elsewhere as to what I think of the gun, but let's just say I don't foresee changing it up anytime soon, if ever.

If you want to fully conceal in a jeans pocket but don't like either of those options, you'll probably have to make the jump down to .380 or look at snubby revolvers.

Quote:
3. Finally, what sort of holster do you use/recommend?
I carry all of my pocket guns in Bear Creek "back pocket" holsters. I like them because the "anti-print" panel can be removed if I want to carry in the front pocket, but with it on, it just looks like I'm carrying a big wallet in my back pocket. For me, front pocket carry is more comfortable, but drawing from a front jeans pocket is not fast or easy.

I'm not comfortable carrying any gun in a pocket without a holster of some sort, even if there's nothing else in the pocket. I realize some folks have done it for years with no issues, and that's fine; I just can't do it.
Old May 19, 2019, 07:51 AM   #75
dannyb

the Rohrbaugh is now the Remington RM380. They improved the spring and made this a sort of reasonable .380. I say sort of because I had a Rohrbaugh and detested the disassembly reassembly method which required punching out a pin to disassemble (not so bad) but then realigning everything with the slide partly back in EXACTLY the right alignment with barrel part. If you have big, nonarthritic hands that can hold everything right while you slide the pin in, this will work for you. If you are like me, it's a major PITA.
Here is a link showing field strip and reassembly. Watch how many times this "expert" has to mess with the pin.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va9-OzWdoCA
I prefer something that does not require extra tools and 3 hands to disassemble/reassemble. My pocket carries are a Pico (winter) and a P32 (summer).

Tags
concealed carry , edc , pdw , pocket carry , recommendations