The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 23, 2016, 01:47 PM   #1
DungBeetle

IWB with retention snap?

From what I have read, the majority of people think that retention on an IWB holster is dumb. But what are you supposed to do against one unarmed individual?

In the eye's of the law, you will probably be in deep trouble if you fired on an unarmed person, unless he is beating you bad. Aren't you afraid that your gun could come loose during a struggle? I am probably over thinking this, but what are your opinions? Thanks

DungBeetle
Old April 23, 2016, 02:02 PM   #2
WVsig

Solution looking for a problem. As a civilian I do not need retention snaps on any kind of holster IWB or OWB. I do not open carry and concealment is my advantage against someone taking my gun. If I am in harms way and they are close enough to me to grab the gun it most likely already has my hand on it in the holster or it has cleared leather. Retention clips are not going to help me but certainly could hinder me on the draw.
Old April 23, 2016, 02:49 PM   #3
DungBeetle

So your saying if an unarmed guy gets in your "zone" than you will fire? That is how it should be but sadly that will get you put in prison.

DungBeetle
Old April 24, 2016, 03:28 AM   #4
johnwilliamson062

depends. I know a 70 year old who says exactly that. If BG pushes him over he has a good chance of breaking a hip which would certainly qualify as serious bodily harm IMO. I, on the other hand, probably need to take a sound beating according to the law.
Old April 24, 2016, 01:06 PM   #5
DaleA

Quote:
So your saying if an unarmed guy gets in your "zone" than you will fire?
No. He did not say that.
Old April 24, 2016, 02:21 PM   #6
K_Mac

A proper holster is going to prevent a gun from falling out with more than a little physical contact. If it escalates to the point where I am in danger of losing my weapon, now I have a life threatening situation and will act accordingly. What that means is dependent on the situation. If presenting my weapon stops the attack, good enough. I have never understood the idea that drawing a weapon means it has to be fired. I do understand that carrying a weapon requires me to avoid such circumstances to the best of my ability. I train for the worst and hope for the best. Retention concealed holsters are a complication I don't need.
Old April 25, 2016, 09:35 AM   #7
TailGator

A good form fitted IWB holster gives good retention. You seem to be saying that you should not draw early in a confrontation, and you are right, but if there is a recognizable disparity of force or if an assailant is making an effort to take your firearm, a sufficient threat would exist to justify an escalation of force. An effort to disengage and move away, if responded to by pursuit and ongoing violence, changes your response. Being struck in such a way that your ability to flee or fight changes your response. You can't look at it as a static event or a one-time decision of whether to draw or not. There has to be continuing reassessment of the situation as it develops.
Old April 26, 2016, 08:39 AM   #8
Tactical Jackalope

That's one of the worst methods of concealed carry aside from no holster and a clipdraw.
Old April 26, 2016, 10:47 AM   #9
Lohman446

If you that concerned about weapon retention some of that concern may be alleviated by carrying condition 3 (full magazine with no round in the chamber). While I am certain there is going to be an outcry against it on most online forums I think you would be surprised how many people actually do it in practice.
Old April 26, 2016, 12:50 PM   #10
TailGator

Constantine, you are referring to the OP's IWB with a retention strap, not the form-fitted IWB holster in post previous to yours, right?
Old April 27, 2016, 02:51 PM   #11
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Constantine, you are referring to the OP's IWB with a retention strap

Oh absolutely referring to the OP's IWB retention strap. That's a terrible idea and one that can get you killed a little quick than not.

I carry with an IWB form-fitted kydex holster as well.

That positively audible "click" when the gun goes in and out is my favorite.

Lets just say, I've been dragged to theme parks where my Glock 19 or SIG P229 (at the time I carried SIG) stayed put. Not to mention my other outdoor activities. Running, hiking, biking, etc.
Old April 27, 2016, 04:46 PM   #12
Jim243

Unless your job or department requires you to use a level III retention system for your firearm, a normal proper holster for the make and model of firearm you are carrying will be sufficient to retain it in 90% of situations you find yourself in.

A $10.00 holster will not give you the same security as one made for YOUR specific gun.

Good luck and stay safe.
Jim
Old April 27, 2016, 07:22 PM   #13
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DungBeetle
. . . .In the eye's of the law, you will probably be in deep trouble if you fired on an unarmed person, unless he is beating you bad. . . .
Might I suggest a little light reading?
On the Lawful Presentation of a Firearm in a Defensive Encounter
Duty to Retreat, "Stand Your Ground", and Castle Doctrine
Civil Liability, Civil Immunity, and the Use of Force