The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 16, 2007, 03:01 PM   #1
CGSteve8718

Buckmark misfires

Hi all, I did a search and found that people mentioned this but no elaboration:

I recently took my Buckmark Challenge for a try out at the range and have gotten many many misfires from it. Trigger is squeezed, nothing. I waited and kept the gun pointing downrange to see if it was a hangfire but after a while, none of them were. Each magazine I loaded had about 3 to 4 of these misfires.

When it continued to happen I just kept pulling the trigger over and over until the round went off. It allowed me to do this and it was a guessing game when they were going to fire, some didn't fire after numerous times so I just ejected it. Upon inspection, the rims showed no indentation or any markings from the firing pin.

I was using ammunition made by Centurion. I know this could just be the cheap ammo. I will try other ammo brands but I want to see if anyone here has experienced this and if it could be something else, a "weak" firing pin or spring maybe? Is there such a thing? I know that some primers in centerfire cartridges are harder than others but can this be for rimmed cartridges?

Pistol is brand new. I took it apart to do the preliminary cleaning before fring, that's it. Could I have put it together wrong or something?

Thank yoooouuuuu
Old September 16, 2007, 06:39 PM   #2
Average Joe

The simplest thing to do when testing a .22, is to change the ammo. All .22 rifles and pistols are fussy when it comes to ammo. I would say the cheap ammo is most likely your problem.
Old September 16, 2007, 06:41 PM   #3
clayking

One, its new. Two, it's a .22. Three, 22's are picky with ammo. Try different brands, My S&W 617 and my Ruger Mark111 will jam up after two loads with Remington Golden Bullets. Does fine with cheap Federal Value packs, but even then, I get a misfire every 20-30 rounds.....................ck
Old September 16, 2007, 06:54 PM   #4
JohnKSa
Staff

Try brushing off the breechface and boltface.

Sometimes you'll get a bit of junk that sticks to one or the other that can mess things up. (Sorry for getting so technical and all... )
Old September 16, 2007, 07:02 PM   #5
Old Gaffer

Quote:
Hi all, I did a search and found that people mentioned this but no elaboration:

I recently took my Buckmark Challenge for a try out at the range and have gotten many many misfires from it. Trigger is squeezed, nothing. I waited and kept the gun pointing downrange to see if it was a hangfire but after a while, none of them were. Each magazine I loaded had about 3 to 4 of these misfires.

When it continued to happen I just kept pulling the trigger over and over until the round went off. It allowed me to do this and it was a guessing game when they were going to fire, some didn't fire after numerous times so I just ejected it. Upon inspection, the rims showed no indentation or any markings from the firing pin.

I was using ammunition made by Centurion. I know this could just be the cheap ammo. I will try other ammo brands but I want to see if anyone here has experienced this and if it could be something else, a "weak" firing pin or spring maybe? Is there such a thing? I know that some primers in centerfire cartridges are harder than others but can this be for rimmed cartridges?

Pistol is brand new. I took it apart to do the preliminary cleaning before fring, that's it. Could I have put it together wrong or something?

Thank yoooouuuuu

Empty the gun - make sure it's empty, and then check again before attempting this.

Take off the right side grip, and with an empty magazine (see above cautionary note) pull the slide back to cock the hammer, and lock the slide open.

Now put either a dry-fire plug or SPENT shell casing in the chamber.

Close the slide.

Look closely at the disconnector where it engages the sear; the notch in the disconnector should engage the sear. If it doesn't, then this is probably your problem. Squeeze the trigger - does the disconnector engage the sear now?

This pic shows the parts that I'm talking about.

This pic shows the disconnector engaging the sear as it's supposed to be

If your disconnector is NOT engaging the sear until after you squeeze the trigger more than once, it's probably either dragging on the frame or on the underside of teh grips. Another possibility it that the disconnector pin that comes from the trigger is dragging on the underside of the grip.

The disconnector is a simple piece of stamped metal, with the underside of the disconnector having the sharp edge. I smoothed mine out with ultra-fine wet-or-dry sandpaper to remove all possibility of it dragging. I also took a very fine diamond file and cut the rear of the engagement notch a tiny bit.

My Buckmark started doing what you describe after I did a trigger job (actually, smoothing the hammer-sear mating surfaces) and it's entirely that my doing that caused the problem. Regardless of the cause, what I did fixed the problem and it's worked perfectly since. I also have a trigger with essentially zero take-up before it engages.

All the best,
Rob
Old September 16, 2007, 09:16 PM   #6
CGSteve8718

Wow

Man, the guys at TFL are class acts.

I will try using different ammunition first and if it persists, then I will do what Old Gaffer suggested.

Thanks for coming through guys.
Old September 16, 2007, 11:04 PM   #7
odsixer

My buckmark had one or two misfires per mag for the first few boxes of ammo but now it's working great. I'm using remington golden jacket and it is very accurate.