Old January 31, 2011, 07:47 PM   #1
M.O.A.

chokein the shot

what is a good choke to use for yotes in a rem. 870 28in" barrle
brand and size just asking for a friend
oh well be useing 00 buck or 0000 buck 2 3/4" and 3" shells
Old January 31, 2011, 08:27 PM   #2
Doyle

No need to go with 00 and certainly no need for 000. For coyotes, use no larger than #4 buck. Many use BB shot. That, with a good modified to full choke will get you out past 50 yds.
Old February 1, 2011, 01:07 AM   #3
wpcexpert

Better Idea...Pattern your gun. Set-up a target and see what you gun likes. It may shoot 00 better than #4 Buck. It might shoot better with a modified over a full, or even a improved cylinder over a full.

Bottom line is, it really makes no difference what we suggest you use if you are only getting 1 pellet where you are aiming.

One of my shotguns holds a great pattern of #4 buck out to 50yds, but the pattern is 5in high and 4in left of aiming point.

Know your gun before you use it on an animal.
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old February 1, 2011, 09:32 AM   #4
JerryM

The only way to tell i s to pattern the gun. I would probably go for a full choke, and then test several loads to see what patterned best at the range I wanted to shoot.

Regards,
Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old February 1, 2011, 09:37 AM   #5
a7mmnut

A couple of the guys in our club have killed them with 3" #5 or #6 turkey loads. I carry some #4 buck--just to be sure.

-7-
Old February 1, 2011, 10:46 AM   #6
nathaniel

I have a Benelli Nova 12 Gauge. I use a Patternmaster extended range choke, I have shot everything except slugs through it. For yotes I use 00 Buck because I bought it in bulk and coyotes is the only thing I can use it for, my brother has the same setup as me and hes killed coyotes with 3 1/2" BB, at close range( under 25 yards). As far as range goes, It shoots a REALLY tight pattern at 25 yards. Like everyone else has said you have to pattern your gun, and try different loads to see.