The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 30, 2018, 05:50 PM   #1
In The Ten Ring

Are you a laser sight guy?

I have become a laser sight guy. Other than the 1911-ish (external extractor) I now have or will soon have laser grips or laser guards on each of my carry pistols.

I don't see a need for night sights though, not with the laser.

Are you a laser sight guy (or gal)?
Old January 31, 2018, 07:48 AM   #2
Big Wes

I'm not a laser guy and the reason being is, to me all a laser does is show me/you how shakey you really are when you're aiming. lol
Old January 31, 2018, 11:45 AM   #3
TrueBlue711

I am too...to a point. I have a laser on most my pistols, whether it be a Crimson Trace grip or a rail mounted laser/flashlight combo if the pistol has a rail. I will say, the Crimson Trace grips are nice and I never had to readjust it after 10 years of having it installed on my 1911.

That being said, I understand that lasers (namely grip lasers) are only accurate at the distance you sight it in at. You shoot at something closer than that, it'll be slightly to the left. You shoot at something further than that, it'll be to the right. Frankly though, at home defense distances (rooms or hallways), the difference is minimal and you'll still be hitting body shots. I "zero" my laser grips at about 10 paces.

Disclaimer: I do not replace pistol training and aiming with lasers. I still aim down the sights when shooting and only use lasers at night.
Old January 31, 2018, 07:24 PM   #4
Kreyzhorse

I actually just took a laser off my Ruger. I think it's (for me) more of a toy than anything and as mentioned above, I find the dancing laser point distracting.

I also prefer lower power scope settings for the same reason.
Old January 31, 2018, 07:24 PM   #5
Hawg

Nope, nothing but iron sights for me.
Old January 31, 2018, 10:43 PM   #6
Onward Allusion

All my carry guns have lasers. None of my range toys do.

Lasers are just another tool, like night sights, weapon light, sticky grips . . . etc
Old January 31, 2018, 10:47 PM   #7
stephen426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward Allusion
All my carry guns have lasers. None of my range toys do.

Lasers are just another tool, like night sights, weapon light, sticky grips . . . etc
Ditto. Crimson Trace Laser Guard and Laser Guard Pro (light/laser combo). Adds very little bulk and weight.
Old January 31, 2018, 11:39 PM   #8
In The Ten Ring

I just now (minutes ago) put the Crimson Trace lasergrip onto my P45 and sighted it for about 15 paces.

I wasn't big on lasergrips either until I came home one night just as what I believe was a three-man break-in team arrived. I am pretty sure it was the guys that had twice been spotted (once by me) casing my house in the previous several nights. Fortunately they ran off but I immediately saw the benefit of a laser at night.

I now have Crimson Trace on three carry pistols and own it for two more (not yet put on). All that is left is to cough up the dough for the set for the 1911.

Now I need to buy a new holster for the P45, one made for the laser guard. I enjoy carrying my laser gripped .38 but a bit more capacity is a plus.

I agree though, we cannot become too dependent on any one tool.
Old February 1, 2018, 08:05 AM   #9
Scoits

I like the Crimson Trace grip lasers. I practice every week 1/2 with regular sights and the other with the lasers.
Have had them about 5 years on 357 and 44s no problems other then having to check zero after changing battery’s.
Old February 1, 2018, 11:33 AM   #10
Targa

I can’t stand them but my dad and brother have the things on everything they own..to each their own...
Old February 1, 2018, 01:15 PM   #11
jmr40

I used to think they, along with mounted lights, were just a gimmick. Until I bought a used 1911 with CT grips. I think they can be a useful tool with some limitations. Their greatest asset is in being able to aim when a textbook shooting position isn't possible. You don't have to have the gun positioned perfectly in order to see where they will hit.

But they also have their disadvantages. Since the laser is well below, and to the left of the bore on my pistol the laser is only zeroed at one specific range. I have mine at about 7 yards. Beyond 7 yards the laser is pointing above and to the right of where the bullet will impact. And the farther I get from 7 yards the greater the POI is off. At 15 yards it is off several inches. Almost useless beyond that.

And while they are an asset in poor light, they don't help identify the target. I've come to appreciate a small weapon mounted light better than a laser. While not as accurate as a laser, the center of the light beam is where my bullets impact. At close range, 7 yards and under, I get the same effect as a laser.

Winston Churchill
Old February 1, 2018, 03:56 PM   #12
Onward Allusion

One thing about zero'ing lasers is that the farther you have it zero'd the more accurate they are a closer ranges. If I were truly a perfectionist, I'd zero off sandbags but I'm not perfect.
Old February 2, 2018, 08:11 AM   #13
Scoits

Every firearm has the same issue if you sight in at close range it Probabely is off at te longer ranges. SOLUTION—sight in at longer range and the shorter ranges will be more finite
Old February 3, 2018, 07:40 AM   #14
In The Ten Ring

Scoits,

That's good to know, thank you for that. My latest laser sight purchase was for my Kahr .45 ACP, I sighted the laser to be just above the aligned sights at 15 paces. That's about as far as I'd want to shoot with this pistol.

I definitely need a lot of practice to be really "on" with this sight and I haven't shot this pistol in a couple of years, my .38 S&W revolvers being my primary (and backup) weapons.

After literally facing down what I believe was a 3-man break in team that had arrived at the same time I did to my house one night, I immediately ordered both a pouch to carry a reload for my revolver and a laser sight for it. I can't believe I operated without both for so long.
Old February 5, 2018, 07:49 PM   #15
Captains1911

I don’t have them on any my carry guns yet, but I’ve trained with them a little and definitely see a benefit in certain situations. They by no means are a replacement for iron sights though.
Old February 7, 2018, 10:16 AM   #16
Scoits

Well Cap maybe so, but in the pitch black of a room they will be helpful at least!!
Old February 7, 2018, 01:11 PM   #17
jackstrawIII

Quote:
but in the pitch black of a room they will be helpful at least
If it's pitch black, how do you expect to see the target clearly? A laser isn't going to light up the target... wouldn't you just have a red dot in the middle of the pitch black? Guess I don't get it.
Old February 19, 2018, 12:43 PM   #18
tickTalk

I have a TLR-6 on my SW mp sheild 9 and both springfield XD 9s.. wish they were green and not red. almost useless in daylight, though that is why I got the TLR-6 with the flashlight/laser, for when the sun isn't shining.
Also have a green laser/flashlight on my remy 870 tactical.. that's my nightstand weapon. Again, for night time use.
I think a laser on a 1911 or a revolver is just plain wrong .
Old February 19, 2018, 02:56 PM   #19
Fishbed77

I have tried them enough to know that I don't care for them. I would much rather have good set of night sights and forego the bulk, weight, added complexity, and battery needs of a laser.
Old February 20, 2018, 09:40 AM   #20
cw308

I carry a Colt New Agent in 45acp , came with CT Laser grips. It is strictly a carry gun 3" 1911. The laser sights act like any other sight as far as sighting at any distance. With a laser you align mush quicker on the target an in stressful situations you can't beat them , your eye is on your target not on the front sight. This is the only gun that has laser sights , I also bought a LaserLyte Universal laser , it fits in the barrel , sound activated an can be used for 38 snub to 45cal. The laser is activated from the hammer strike. Good training tool . The grip laser is now part of the gun , I don't need a special holster with the grip laser , if it fits your gun your good to go. Even if you have night sights mounted on your gun having a laser is another advantage. I love them.
Old February 20, 2018, 02:40 PM   #21
Harry J

I have lasers on my carrys. PT111G2 and a RIA Officers. A Red Dot on my full size 1911 target. Wear Tri focals. See near? Yep. See far? Yep. See near and far? Nope.
Old February 22, 2018, 02:40 PM   #22
cw308

A easy to make target for lasers . I got some of my wife's aluminum foil , wrapped it around a clear plastic jar shiny side facing in also cover the opening an screw the top on. Leaving the bottom uncovered is your aiming point. I use this with the LaserLyte Universal laser or the laser bullet ,only lights from hammer strike. When the laser hits the target it lights up like a warning light.