The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 19, 2018, 04:49 PM   #1
Marduk

Henry 45 Colt Deer Hunting

Hello,
Living in MI I can shoot various pistol cartridges during deer season.
That's why I'm planning on using a Henry 45 Colt.

Here are the constants:

Henry Big Boy lever action in 45 Colt
Lee 452 255gr RNFP mold
Unique powder
Shooting no more than 100 yrds

I see load data from 5.5 to 11gr for this bullet but very little 'this is my deer load'

The question:
How many grains to make a good deer slayer?
Would you use a gas check?

Also, another bullet/powder combo is acceptable if you really have a superior one. Henry recommends 260GR bullet max. I think.

Part two of this question is will the Uberti Regulator handle this cartridge and if not what would you max out with using Unique under the Lee 255 is this revolver.

Thanks so much in advance!
Old January 19, 2018, 04:58 PM   #2
Northof50

My Sierra manual lists a 240 JHC bullet [.4515"] for the 45 colt. For modern weapons [ruger/contender] it lists 16.9gr Blue Dot and 25grains of 296.

Personally, for dear, I like JHP over solids - but that's just my opinion. I use a 240XTP in my 44.
Old January 19, 2018, 05:28 PM   #3
BBarn

Lyman's 49 Edition Manual lists a starting load of 6.0gr of Unique with a max of 8.5gr. using their 255gr non-gas check bullet. They measured 1110 fps. from a the 16" barrel. They also list the same load for handguns.

A gas check is probably not needed at 1100fps if a medium hard alloy like Lyman #2 is used. A 255gr. RNFP or SWC cast bullet would be suitable for deer to at least 50 yards.

Unique is a good powder choice for the 45 Colt cartridge, in either a pistol or rifle.
Old January 19, 2018, 05:31 PM   #4
acj7382

Are you molding straight lead or do you have a little zinc mixed in for bullet hardness?? I don’t mold but have a friend that molds mine with about 20% zinc added if I’m not mistaken. I use around 9 grains of Unique in a Rossi 92 45 colt. Real sledgehammer on deer. Farthest I’ve shot one has been 75 yards. Bang flop. I use same load and bullet in Ruger Vaquero. Might take more but I’m happy with accuracy of the 9 grains.
Old January 19, 2018, 05:48 PM   #5
BBarn

Everything I've read about bullet casting says keep zinc away from lead alloys.
Old January 19, 2018, 06:01 PM   #6
dahermit

Quote:
Are you molding straight lead or do you have a little zinc mixed in for bullet hardness?? I don’t mold but have a friend that molds mine with about 20% zinc added if I’m not mistaken.
Two points here. If you are not an experienced bullet caster, why are you giving casting advice? Also, it is not 20% Zinc that the friend is likely using. It is more likely (up to) 2% Tin...a big difference in the result.
Old January 19, 2018, 06:12 PM   #7
Don Fischer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northof50 View Post
My Sierra manual lists a 240 JHC bullet [.4515"] for the 45 colt. For modern weapons [ruger/contender] it lists 16.9gr Blue Dot and 25grains of 296.

Personally, for dear, I like JHP over solids - but that's just my opinion. I use a 240XTP in my 44.
Does dear ever complain about being shot with JHP?
Old January 19, 2018, 06:18 PM   #8
acj7382

Dahermit. I was only guessing and I don’t mold. I was giving my opinion on a load I used and felt comfortable with that works for me. That’s why I said guessing.
Old January 19, 2018, 08:04 PM   #9
zipspyder

About 8.5 grains of Unique should get you what you need and keep it within standard pressures. You could go up to 9 grains if you want to push it but it goes through a deer and makes a big hole easily with 8-8.5 grains. You do not need +P loads for 45 colt and deer. It's one of the best powders for the 45 colt and cast bullets. Just be careful not to accidentally double charge a round.
Old January 19, 2018, 09:41 PM   #10
Marduk

Quote:
Originally Posted by acj7382 View Post
Are you molding straight lead or do you have a little zinc mixed in for bullet hardness?? I don’t mold but have a friend that molds mine with about 20% zinc added if I’m not mistaken. I use around 9 grains of Unique in a Rossi 92 45 colt. Real sledgehammer on deer. Farthest I’ve shot one has been 75 yards. Bang flop. I use same load and bullet in Ruger Vaquero. Might take more but I’m happy with accuracy of the 9 grains.
I have never tried zinc but have used a bit of tined solder in some 30-30 and 30-06 I cast. Most of my casting has been solid lead for muzzleloaders so I'm a new kid on the block and really appreciate all the help.
Old January 19, 2018, 09:48 PM   #11
Marduk

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipspyder View Post
About 8.5 grains of Unique should get you what you need and keep it within standard pressures. You could go up to 9 grains if you want to push it but it goes through a deer and makes a big hole easily with 8-8.5 grains. You do not need +P loads for 45 colt and deer. It's one of the best powders for the 45 colt and cast bullets. Just be careful not to accidentally double charge a round.
Thank you sir. I'll give that a try because I have the boolit-the powder and now the data! Do you think this would be fine in my SSA Uberti Regulator or a bit stiff? It would be nice to have double duty cartages but not necessary. I could always dye one or the other to keep it safe.
Old January 19, 2018, 09:55 PM   #12
zipspyder

That is a standard pressure load so it should work fine in your Uberti Regulator as well but will have more kick with the pistol vs regular cowboy loads. 8.5 grains is almost max for standard pressure with 255 grain bullet with Unique but you should be just fine. Max for 250 grain bullets is around 9 grains.

PS: Gas checks are not needed at those velocities but it's OK to use them as well.
Old January 20, 2018, 06:51 AM   #13
dahermit

Quote:
I have never tried zinc but have used a bit of tined solder in some 30-30 and 30-06 I cast. Most of my casting has been solid lead for muzzleloaders so I'm a new kid on the block and really appreciate all the help.
Ignore the advice about adding zinc...it is bad advice. Go to this site and learn about casting lead bullets. You will find good advice there. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/
Old January 20, 2018, 11:42 AM   #14
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
..have more kick with the pistol vs regular cowboy loads. 8.5 grains is almost max for standard pressure with 255 grain bullet with Unique but you should be just fine. Max for 250 grain bullets is around 9 grains.
"Cowboy" loads are a bit of a misnomer, as no real cowboy would even consider using them for real work. "Cowboy Action Shooting" is a game (and a fun one) where LIGHTER than standard loads are used to reduce recoil, and thereby increase the shooters speed of recovery. All that game scores is hits (somewhere) on the target and the speed of the shooter, so very light loads help the shooter to win. NOT a good choice for deer hunting.

As to the max charge of Unique with a 250/255gr bullet, it depends on the bullet, and the gun. One manual I have says 8.5gr is max with their 250gr SWC. But, their SWC is a swaged bullet (soft)

I have decades of Lyman manuals where the max with a 250gr cast (#2 alloy) is just over 10gr, (for about 1,000fps, depending on barrel length) and the test gun is a COLT SAA.

I've been shooting 10.0gr Unique with a hard cast 259gr SWC for over 35 years, out of Ruger SAs. Velocity from my 7.5" is approx. 1100fps.

Like ALL load data, its a guideline, and you should CAREFULLY work up in your gun, to determine ITs max. 8, 8.5, 9, any of these might be your max level in your gun, with your bullets. Start low, work up, find what is best, in terms of velocity and accuracy. All of them will kill deer DRT, if you put that big heavy non-expanding bullet in the right spot.

Quote:
Henry recommends 260GR bullet max. I think.
this would be not because of the bullet weight, exactly, but the bullet size (length). Heavier bullets are longer, and a lever gun has limits on how long the loaded round can be and still feed from the magazine to the chamber.

A 300gr bullet might chamber fine single loading it but jam the gun if loaded in the magazine. No gun maker is going to recommend a load that can jam their gun.

As to the Uberti, sorry I don't know that particular gun, but any load safe in a Colt SAA should be safe in it. Again, start low, work up carefully.

There are loads out there, well above factory standard, that are made for use in Ruger BLACKHAWKS, and T/C Contenders, ONLY. DO NOT USE THEM IN ANYTHING ELSE!!!
Old January 20, 2018, 12:16 PM   #15
Marduk

Thanks for all the great info guys. I really appreciate it. Can't tell you how glad I am I joined this forum. I will check out that website 'castboolits'.
Old January 21, 2018, 04:28 PM   #16
Real Gun

For the few rounds, if any, you will be firing while hunting, I think you should consider Hornady Leverevolution ammo you buy and that was developed for just such a tube-fed gun. They work in a handgun too, all standard pressure range. Accuracy is better in the rifle though. You could save the reloading for range ammo and for the revolver.
Old January 21, 2018, 04:57 PM   #17
Pathfinder45

I also use the same Lee 452 255gr RNFP. It's my favorite bullet for 45 Colt and I use it in a Vaquero and Marlin Cowboy. Unique is an excellent powder for the 45 Colt and will probably yield 200 fps more velocity in your rifle. Load your ammo to be safe in you weakest gun and you will be OK. I you want to get the maximum velocity in your rifle that will also be safe in your revolver, you should use a slower burning powder; I will suggest AA-9 or IMR-4227, loaded within the pressure limitations of your revolver, should still yield 350 fps higher in your rifle. Avoid H-110 or W-296 as unsuitable for your revolver.

Last edited by Pathfinder45; January 21, 2018 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Spelling correction
Old January 22, 2018, 02:44 PM   #18
T. O'Heir

"...for this bullet..." You don't need bullet manufacturer specific data. You need 255 grain cast data. You put one of those into Bambi's vitals and he's going to drop. Deer were regularly killed with .36 and .45 calibre muzzle loaders for eons. Bambi is not armour plated.
You only use a gas check if your manual says to. Usually not with pistol bullets, even out of a rifle.
"...load data from 5.5 to 11gr..." Alliant gives .45 Colt data under regular handgun data. No 250s under their 'Cowboy' loads(those are just target loads.). Unique under a Speer LSWC only. The shape really doesn't matter. A cast 250 is a cast 250. The Max Unique load for a cast 255 is 9.5. Start load is 10% less for 8.5.
Old January 22, 2018, 03:13 PM   #19
Jim Watson

Factory equivalent is 8-8.5 gr Unique for a 250-255 lead .45 Colt.
There has been a lot loaded with 10 grains like 44AMP but that is definitely into +P country.

Ken Waters thought 9 gr Unique was tops for a revolver, but would go heavier for cast in the Winchester Trapper 94.

Back before WWII, Phil Sharpe showed up to 10.3 gr Unique with the factory lead 250.
Old January 23, 2018, 09:19 AM   #20
GeauxTide

Quote:
I've been shooting 10.0gr Unique with a hard cast 259gr SWC for over 35 years, out of Ruger SAs. Velocity from my 7.5" is approx. 1100fps.
I've used 10gr with 275 and 280. At 1000fps+, 45 Hard Cast bullets blow through deer and hogs from any angle to 100 yards.
Old January 23, 2018, 09:21 AM   #21
zipspyder

You don't need to jack up the loads for deer or hogs. 8.5 grains should get you around 950 to 975 fps in the Henry that will go through length wise most any deer or hog. That is within normal pressures.
Old January 23, 2018, 09:23 AM   #22
Real Gun

What does Henry say about loading over SAAMI spec?
Old January 23, 2018, 03:25 PM   #23
disseminator

Quote:
What does Henry say about loading over SAAMI spec?
A quick web search indicated that Henry has stated on many occasions that the Big Boy CAN handle the "RUGER ONLY" loads out there.

But if I owned the rifle, I'd call Henry and hear it from the horses mouth.
Old November 26, 2018, 09:12 PM   #24
Marduk

Old post guys but as a follow up here is what I went with.

Henry Big Boy lever action in 45 Colt
Lee 452 255gr RNFP mold
Unique powder 9gr
Ghost Ring Sight

Took two deer one after the other.
The lever action and ghost ring allowed for fast acquisition and shooting.
Two shots, two deer in the freezer. Both under twenty yards so effect at range is still uncertain and will have to wait for next season.
I recovered one of the bullets. You could see it bulging out the opposite side of the hide.
The bullet mushroomed exceptionally well and seemed to dump all its energy into the deer. Double lung. Went 60 yrds and dropped.
The other one went clean through so no telling but the deer dropped on the spot. Also a double lung but a smaller deer than the first.

Thanks for all the help gents!
Old November 28, 2018, 01:49 AM   #25
Pathfinder45

Congratulations. That's a good recipe; one of the best.