The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 26, 2010, 09:40 PM   #1
JSimpson65

Wishing I'd never bought this POS RCBS Progressive

Hello All,

My time to vent, I suppose.

After reloading on an RCBS single stage for almost 2 years now, I finally decided to step up to a progressive press. I read all the Dillon, RCBS, LNL, etc. threads on this board and elsewhere until I was crosseyed, and finally decided to go with an RCBS Pro 2000 for loading handgun ammo.

Press was received a few days ago. I spent the first evening setting things up. Took my time so I could be sure things were done right. Second evening I got the dies (45ACP) adjusted up, powder measure set, loaded the primers into the APS strips and thought I was ready to go. Right off the bat, I managed to chew up the first APS strip somehow. Managed to get the APS strip out of the press, assumed it was operator error, and tried again. Got about halfway through the second primer strip and again it jammed up on me. Strike 2. At this point I'm assuming I'm not doing something right, start getting frustated with the thing, so decide to call it quits and start fresh the next day.

Day 3. Take my time, load about 100 rounds without destroying anymore APS strips. Realize the little bent wire piece that is supposed to eject the loaded cartridge won't stay in place more than a few rounds. Tighten it up. Stil won't stay in place more than a few rounds. Tighten it as much as I dare, and still won't stay in place. OK, I guess I'll just have to manually remove the completed round instead - not happy with this. At this point, I'm thinking I'm about finished with the learning curve and things will start to go smoother. I've now spent about 4 hours and have 100 loaded rounds and several destroyed APS strips.

Day 4. Time to load up 200 or so rounds to get the thing working smooth. First APS strip jams up, have to remove shellplate to un-jamb. Add one more APS strip to the trash pile. Now I'm starting to get pretty good at pulling the shellplate to clear the jambs. Load another APS strip, same result after 2 rounds. Remove shellplate again to pry the mangled primer out, manage to finally pull the APS strip out. Put the shellplate back in, take a deep breath, and go slowly to try to sort things out. Try to load first round, and notice that the plate isn't auto-indexing again. Try loosening shellplate to readjust, retighten, etc. Still no dice - won't auto-index anymore.

Now I've finished 4 days. have a whole handful of mangled APS strips. Did I mention the color-coding on the strips is all screwed up (some whites are small primer, some whites are large. same for all colors - mixed small and large). I've now loaded about 100 rounds in about 8 hours. Needless to say, I could have done it a little faster on the old single-stage.

I don't know if I should just ship it all back to Midway, or call RCBS support. I still feel like some of the problems are operator error, but nevertheless I'm running out of the primer strips, press won't auto-index, I have to manually eject loaded round. To top it all off, I have an order on the way for some extra shellplates and die plates as well so if I scrap the RCBS idea altogether I have lots of different stuff to return, from different vendors.

ARRRGGGGGHHHHH why did I ever do this!!!!!!!
Old March 26, 2010, 10:10 PM   #2
rjrivero

I can feel your frustration. Take a deep breath and call RCBS. I'm sure they'll be able to help you sort it out.

The learning curve can be a bit frustrating with progressives, but I can't imagine trying to load on anything other than my Dillon progressive.
Old March 26, 2010, 10:11 PM   #3
grubbylabs

I would think the logical thing to do would be to call RCBS and find out if they can help you get it figured out.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old March 26, 2010, 10:19 PM   #4
mongoose33

Ditto on the call to RCBS. There may just be something you're not seeing that is interrelated with the problems you're having.

You might check out videos on YouTube for specific help; for instance, this one looks like a good starting video, and Ultimate Reloader has a number of such videos (as well as others).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnfeTPZeOMQ

Just from watching the video, it makes me wonder if you're loading the primers properly (not completely seating them?).

Since you'll have to wait until Monday earliest to call RCBS, you might do some video searching in the meantime and see if you can find what you need to solve your problems.
Old March 26, 2010, 10:22 PM   #5
triley

LEE,inexpensive not CHEAP

The more I read stuff like this,the more I'm happy with my choice of LEE 4turret press and related products..4000rnds 0problems..I like those odds
Old March 26, 2010, 10:38 PM   #6
JSimpson65

My next step will definately be a call to RCBS, but my main problem right now is that I'm not even sure I want to keep the thing. After 4 days of problems, it's obvious to me that the little bent wire to eject the loaded rounds is poorly designed, and it makes me wonder what else is poorly designed since the auto-index has also quit working. It's hard for me to know if the primer strip problem is me or the press, but I feel like a properly built press shouldn't be that easy to jam ... and jam .... and jam ... and jam some more. Especially since I loaded about 100 rounds on day 3, but then went right back to jamming the primer strips again on day 4.

I'm not usually one to just give up on things, but at this point I'm leaning towards shipping back the press, all the extra shellplates and dieplates, and either going with a Dillon or just sticking with my old Rockchucker. If this thing is any indication of progressive presses, I want absolutely nothing to do with one!
Old March 26, 2010, 11:09 PM   #7
grubbylabs

I watched the video and it did not seem to give you to much in the way of initial set up, it only made me wish I could afford a progressive.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old March 26, 2010, 11:20 PM   #8
mongoose33

When I was looking for a progressive, one of the determining factors was that a lot of people were using it--which indicated some level of satisfaction, as well as a good source of help if I needed it.

If you pick a Hornady, Dillon, or Lee progressive, you'll find that help in fora like this.

While I think RCBS has some terrific stuff, I steered away from their progressive as you rarely see people talking about it in the various fora. At least, in the ones I frequent.

So, if you send it back, look at one of the others. Enough people are happy w/ them that I think you would find one that would make you happy too.
Old March 26, 2010, 11:54 PM   #9
Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

GIVE RCBS A CHANCE TO MAKE IT RIGHT!!!!!!!!

They have always gone the extra step for my needs.

AND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Being a long time single stage press owner/operator, I bought a new Hornady LNL progressive just before the end of last year.

Set it up, tried it and then left it for a few days.

There are so many things going on at one time, it makes for a heavy duty learning curve for this Ol'Coot.

Since that time, I have probably put a 1000 rounds through it, and I am getting better, BUT it is and will remain a machine far removed from the single stage presses I've used since the 60s.

TAKE YOUR TIME, CALL, CALL AND CALL AGAIN IF NEEDED, RCBS WILL HOLD YOUR HAND JUST AS THEY HAVE MANY OTHERS.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
Old March 27, 2010, 12:10 AM   #10
Jim243

And here after six years I was going to get a progressive for myself for Christmas. I don't know now, sorry to hear about your problems, I always thought that they were much more complicated than my Rock Chucker or Lee Classic Turret. How many out there have horror stories as well on progressives, I would like to know before I jump into the water over my head??

Jim
Old March 27, 2010, 12:39 AM   #11
Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Do it Jim243.

If a set in his ways Ol'Coot like me can weather the storm, I suspect you can also.

It just isn't like picking up a box of ammo off the store shielf, or setting down to patch process ammo on the single stage.

There is just a lot taking place at every stroke and starting slowly with speed building over time is the way I need to deal with it.

Plus, even slow, every stroke produces a finished round as apposed to many strokes, plus weighing/throwing a powder charge etc. etc.

Handle the case once, empty and the next time it is full and ready to fire.

Even slow it IS FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
Old March 27, 2010, 04:09 AM   #12
mrayw

Rcbs pro 2000

i have two hornady lnl's,Lee classic turret press, RCBS rockchucker and pro 2000. All but rockchucker have a learing curve. The hornady lnl's are my favoritess but OMG if you only knew the hours and days of frustration learning all the nuances and adjustments. I really like the pro 2000,have had to call RCBS myself for help. Their customer service is great,better than Hornady's.
Talk about frustration Mec progressive shotshell reloaders nearly sent me over the edge but after I spent lots of $$ on RCBS shotshell loader the Mec's fell into place.
THere is a very small plastic part in shape of V inside of primer slide,actually two identical pieces one on top and on bottom that are most likely out of place on your machine. I am thinking of switching to tube primer feed on mine.
Old March 27, 2010, 06:03 AM   #13
Headgear

JSimpson65, I'm sorry to hear you are having so much trouble. I bought a Dillon 650 about a year and a half ago and just love it. I don't want to sound like one of those guys who think that Dillon is the the only good piece out there because I don't have any experience with any of the others but man the thing just works. I can't imagine a "learning curve". I also have used progressive shotgun reloaders all my life and may have been familiar with progressive presses to where it didn't seem like a learning curve but I read the instructions, did what it said, loaded 500 rounds the first sitting and just grinned.

I did have a problem after a while where the priming system would occasionally drop a primer in on it's side but one call, a minor adjustment and done. I would have called right away if I were you. I get a little hot when I know that my money is working perfectly for them but the product I got in return does not do what it is supposed to do. Call them, it may be a simple fix. If things keep happening, I think I would move onto something else. Don't give up on progressives though, you will be selling yourself short. But in my opinion, there is a lot going on with a progress press and the last thing I would want is to be distracted by having focus on a finicky machine instead of the loading process it's self.

Be careful! If you have to spend more time and money finding a press that is reliable and easy to run, Do IT! I'm just afraid that with all that messing around getting the thing to work right, you end up with an over charged round.

Be safe, good luck!
Old March 27, 2010, 09:56 AM   #14
jmortimer

There is nothing wrong with your press - most progressives have a learning curve - best suggestion is to work it out with the manufacturer. It does no good to point out what press you have as it is of no use to O/P.
Old March 27, 2010, 10:22 AM   #15
Edward429451

Yeahhh but it's either user friendly or its not,you know what I mean?
I am very mechanically inclined and when I wanted a progressive I tried that RCBS Piggyback thing...I could not make it work. I took it back and ordered me a Dillon 550B...I had no problem whatsoever setting it up and using it.

SO what's the difference? I don't want to beat up on RCBS, they have lots of good stuff. But like any other company, I'm sure they all have their little specialties that they do good at and other things that they are not so good at. My impression is that RCBS Progressives are not so hot. If they was you would have posted got my new pro2000 and am chugging right along...

My advice is to go Dillon. The instruction book was very well written and having never laid eyes on a Dillon before I had it set up in ~ 2 hours. Good luck
Old March 27, 2010, 10:39 AM   #16
Tacoma

I'd give RCBS a call and see if it just boils down to a minor adjustment/ something you're missing. That said, if their advice doesn't make the problems go away (completely) , I'd box it up and return it (assuming that's still an option.)

IMHO the primer system is the week point on most progressives. Both my dillon and Lee progressives were problematic.
I finally got frustrated enough where I chucked them all and went to a Semi-progressive Lee Classic Turret. No more problems or frustration.

Last edited by Tacoma; March 28, 2010 at 07:13 PM.
Old March 27, 2010, 01:28 PM   #17
snuffy

Quote:
I'm not usually one to just give up on things, but at this point I'm leaning towards shipping back the press, all the extra shellplates and dieplates, and either going with a Dillon or just sticking with my old Rockchucker. If this thing is any indication of progressive presses, I want absolutely nothing to do with one!
I wouldn't touch a RCBS progressive. Or a Hornady. My dillon 650 was set up and running flawlessly in less than 5 hours. That included drilling holes and bolting it down. Reading the instructions from page one through to finish allowed me to start loading right away.

The APS priming system is a joke, a bad joke. Finding pre-loaded strips is almost impossible. Getting blank strips is possible, but THEN you have to load them yourself? No thanks, I'll gladly pick up any primer I choose with my tubes.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old March 27, 2010, 01:55 PM   #18
Gbro

I have a Lee progressive that has a very long learning curve with several hairpin in it, but from your problem's I would look closely at the primer seating step because of the problem you are also having ejecting a finished round from the press. Are you certain the primer is being seated fully?
Good luck, I think you will work everything out.
On the video that was linked by mongoose I would run many powder throw test loads with the press before making any adjustment then many(10+) more before I loaded a cartridge.
Old March 27, 2010, 02:09 PM   #19
steve1147

The 2nd night with my Lee Progressive Pro1000, I called the mfr., told them "Dude, I've got primers all over the floor, crushed cases everywhere, and powder all over the bench!!!"
It just takes a while to get the hang of things and adjust things in. I've since bought a 2nd, and am happy with them both! BUT be prepared to do adjustments, etc. with a progressive, and PAY ATTENTION to each step.
Good Luck,
Steve W.
Old March 28, 2010, 04:46 AM   #20
sourdough44

It takes a lot of tweaking to get an RCBS progressive up & running, then you can do it all again if you ever switch the rounds you are loading. I guess faster is supposed to be better though, they say anyway. If I wanted to go true progressive I'd probably go Dillon or nothing.

Last edited by sourdough44; March 28, 2010 at 08:38 PM.
Old March 28, 2010, 06:54 AM   #21
Headgear

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with your press - most progressives have a learning curve - best suggestion is to work it out with the manufacturer. It does no good to point out what press you have as it is of no use to O/P
There does seem to be something wrong with the press and I disagree, it could do the OP plenty of good to know that there are other presses that don't come with all that required tweaking. In my opinion, simple to operate and reliability in this case could have a big impact on safety and I want the OP to know that they are out there. I'm sure Dillon is not the only one but I do love how easy it is to use so I can keep my attention on the reloading process, not messing with the machine.

Look at it this way, I've read posts quite often were someone gets blasted for mentioning some distraction while reloading. I read one within the last day or so where a guy mentioned he couldn't reload because he was watching is two toddlers and he still got blasted. What could be bigger distraction that fiddling with that press? If I knew of a better press, I would let the OP know about it and get one myself provided I could afford it.

If that thing can not be made to operate smoothly, try another one. I can only attest to the Dillon 650 because that is all that I have experience with but I do know that it works. And yes, if you think about it in terms of safety, it could do the OP some good to know that!
Old March 28, 2010, 02:08 PM   #22
Edward429451

Quote:
If that thing can not be made to operate smoothly, try another one. I can only attest to the Dillon 650 because that is all that I have experience with but I do know that it works. And yes, if you think about it in terms of safety, it could do the OP some good to know that!
I agree, it's either user friendly or it is not. I can only attest to the Dillon 550 because I have two. These are live reviews of differing brands! Dillon is well represented here.

Even the guys who don't think it's your press are not speaking from a pro2000 ownership perspective! Where are the pro200 owners with their reviews?
Old March 28, 2010, 10:32 PM   #23
vranasaurus

The pro 2000 is not a difficult piece of equipment to operate.

The key to the aps system is to make sure you insert the strips the right way and make sure it actually advances each time. It can occassionaly advance only half way. If I ever get a little extra cash I may opt for the tube prime system but the APS works for me.

To the person who said that finding loaded strips is impossible but you can find empty strips but then you have to load them yourself. It is clear you've never used the system because it only takes about 2 minutes to load a hundred primers into the strips. It is not a tedious one at a time process.

As to your issue with the case ejector. You just need to tighten it. Getting it set right for each caliber can be kind of a pain but I have never had an issue with it being loose.

If I had it to do over again knowing what I know now I would probably give dillon or hornady a hard look. That being said the RCBS does just fine for what I need.

Give RCBS a call I am sure they can provide some help.

I will give you whatever help I can as a pro 2000 owner for the last 5 years.
Old March 28, 2010, 10:35 PM   #24
vranasaurus

Also the color coding on the strips is not messed up.

Each color represents a type of primer not its size. Bevause each type comes in two sizes small and large
Old March 29, 2010, 07:18 AM   #25
dlb435

Did you really read all the reviews? This sounds typical for the RCBS press. There is probably nothing wrong with the press. You just don't have it tuned up right yet. The other problems you might have is loose powder jamming up the works or you might also have too much oil or lube on the press. Progressive presses have to be clean and dry to work properly.
I've had Lee progessive presses; they work but need a lot of fiddling to keep them running. I switched to a Dillon and don't have any problems now.