The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 21, 2005, 12:42 PM   #1
leadcounsel

Self defense shooting experience from Packing.org

This is not MY story, but a good one from www.packing.org I saw and want to share.

My Justified shooting expieriance.
I put this in the Home defense section because this seemed like the most appropriate section. I was involved in a shooting at my work at a Super 8 motel off brice rd in Columbus Oh. This happend on the sixth of last month. I didn't want to post anything untill things had cooled down and I got a feel for what the law enforcement officals thought. I am pleased to say that the Columbus Police department, were very professional about the whole situation, and even when they had to do there usual routine, never made me feel like a criminal, and they kept me well hidden from the media. I was expecting the worst from the police from all the negative things I've heard people say happen to them after a shooting, so I was very relieved. The officers that I was with did their best to make sure that I was ok, and made me as comfortable as they could. Anyway, I'd like to address some of the things that I learned from this confrontation, and also re-address some things that most of us in the ccw world already know.

A confrontation will be extremely quick and extremely violent: I teach this in my concealed carry class, but never really thought about it. From the time that the Robber walked in and pulled his gun, to the point where he was lying on the pavement was 13 seconds. The shooting portion from when my gun cleared the holster to him on the ground was under 3 seconds (I got these times from the time recorder on the security camera video)

You must remain alert, ALWAYS: I was unprepared for this, I must admit. When he walked into the lobby, I tottaly didn't even notice him. I was busy checking a guest in on my computer that I didn't even look up. It wasn't untill the other desk clerk started acting frantic, and the kid came behind the counter that I looked up and saw him wearing a mask and a gun in his hands.

Holster options: I now know that I don't want any type of retention strap on my firearm. I had one during this incident and realise had I not had the other desk clerk there to conceal my actions of drawing, I don't think I would have been quick enough. When I practice drawing, I always practice undoing the strap at the same time to make it quick, but you MAY loose your fine motor skills, which makes it just a little more difficult, especially for me because I was using a Glock 27, which is a little difficult to get a grip on to begin with, because I can't use my back fingers on it because it is so small. I was using a cheapie nylon, but will now be upgrading to a Galco retention style. In my opinion, just pay the money to get a good holster. Also, I know for sure that an ankle rig would have been almost useless. I think they are good for just BUGs.

Point shooting: As I stated before, everything happend so fast. I didn't use the sights. I used muscle memmory and point shooting. I believe it is imperitive to get yourself trained to shoot quickly(double and triple tap drills)and to get your mucles used to your relative point of aim. More than likely you will never use your sights. It will all be point shooting.

Never say anything: You will probably want to talk about this expieriance, especially with the police. DON'T DO IT!! Anything you have to say right after the shooting you will have to say the next day. No matter how cool calm and collected you think you will be or feel, you still need to calm down. I didn't realise I was wound so tight, untill I loosened up. Anything you have to say, can come through a lawyer. I gave no statement that night, and looked for a lawyer the next day just in case. I had other witnesses who gave statements, so I never even needed to give one, and haven't yet. Why bother if it's not needed. It could only hurt you to give a statement that night, waiting to give a statement through a lawyer never hurt anybody.

These are just some things I thought I should share. I may post a few more things later, but for right now this is it. If you would like to read a little more about the shooting, you can yahoo search it. Type in "shooting at 2055 brice rd" or you can look it up on the civialian self defense blog.

Thanks, and stay safe, Ramsey.
Old September 21, 2005, 09:48 PM   #2
Dwight55

Glad you are OK, . . . also thanks for the reinforcement that we all need about staying alert.

I learned my "stay alert" necessity from early hunting experiences, as it seemed just about whenever I let the antenna down, . . . along came whatever I was hunting, . . . and of course, . . . it got away.

I use that analogy today to keep me alert as I remind myself now, . . .that I am the prey, . . . and I just need to keep alert for the hunter.

Also thanks for once again reminding us all as to how fast it can all go down.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old September 22, 2005, 08:22 AM   #3
azspyder

Thanks for the post, counselor. I had an almost similiar experience several months ago that ended with the knife-wielder running away after I showed my undrawn weapon. I wrote about it here. I definitely concur with the writer of your episode. After an experience like that, a lot of retrospection goes on as you consider what you did and didn't do. My main conclusion was to practice point shooting at close range. For the past several months, I practice at least once a week at 5 to 10 feet along with my normal aimed shooting. I've gotten pretty good at it and feel a lot more comfortable.
Thanx again for your post.
Old September 22, 2005, 08:49 AM   #4
RWK

leadcounsel,

One fellow's opinion (although one who has quite a few years experience): I believe Ramsey handled this situation VERY well.
Old September 22, 2005, 12:54 PM   #5
FirearmFan

Nicely Done. I believe you handled this situation as best as possible and I appreciate the advice you offered as well. I plan on adjusting my training and gear according after some review.

Good Luck and God Bless.
Old September 23, 2005, 08:49 PM   #6
Night Watch
Registration in progress

Wow! That's about the best advice I've ever read on up close and personal CQB. Your remarks are, also, good reason NOT to use a Saf-T-Blok behind your Glock's trigger. Sure, it may not add any time to the draw; but, as you pointed out, the motor skill may not be there. You were lucky; and you handled that situation very well. Thanks for the reminders and all that good advice! Guess it's time to start practicing point shooting, again.
Old September 23, 2005, 09:24 PM   #7
Boss Spearman
Registration in progress

I'm glad you're safe. These types of stories should make the national news every night, not the crap the liberals want on there.
Old September 24, 2005, 02:51 AM   #8
packa45

who are you guys responding to? leadcounsel states this is not his story but he posted it from packing.org

The man involved did not post this.

leadcounsel-thanks for posting, very interesting info and I seem to have missed it on packing.org

Don't mess with the bull, you'll get the horns.
Old September 24, 2005, 07:18 AM   #9
RWK

Packa45 . . .

Please re-read my post. You will note that I acknowledged Ramsey, the person who actually performed so well.
Old September 24, 2005, 09:15 PM   #10
packa45

Quote:
Please re-read my post.
I didn't mean to include you in that broad statement as I did notice you commenting to leadcounsel about Ramsey I was just curious who the others were talking to.

Also it's clear that azspyder read the post and was only commenting on the situation that ramsey faced.

Don't mess with the bull, you'll get the horns.
Old September 26, 2005, 02:17 AM   #11
enidpd804

Good lessons: Use good leather gear, Pay attention to your surroundings...