The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 20, 2012, 10:47 AM   #1
Kazaam

Is Breakfree CLP really sufficient?

It just seems too...easy. How do you guys feel about this product?
Old September 20, 2012, 10:51 AM   #2
TunnelRat

I use it mainly as a cleaner for the barrel and slide. I also use it to lube the barrel and locking lug/slide. I still prefer a grease for slide rails on a metal framed weapon. And on really gunked up weapons I like to douse them with gunsrubber first then coat them with CLP.

I've never had any issues. I prefer the liquid as it lasts longer and smells infinitely better. What's your definition of "sufficient"?
Maintain situational awareness
Old September 20, 2012, 10:52 AM   #3
sigcurious

I don't use it anymore, but my reasons for switching did not have to do with its performance as a product but personal preferences.
Old September 20, 2012, 11:16 AM   #4
Shoot45's

Been enough for thousands of people for years even decades.
Old September 20, 2012, 11:20 AM   #5
YARDDOG(1)

Had (2) cases of the 4oz bottels 6 to a case, Now I'm down to last 2 bottles ; )PS Not bad for free
Y/D
Old September 20, 2012, 11:21 AM   #6
CPO15

Can you really get great taste in a less-filling beer?

CLP tries to do three tasks at the same time; it likely does only one really well and a passable job on the other two.

I use it for cleaning, along with other products for lube and a silicon cloth for a final wipe down.
Old September 20, 2012, 11:29 AM   #7
MLeake

I had been using it as a universal wonder fluid. However, a friend turned me on to Gunslick graphite grease, and that does seem to provide better lubrication, without dripping from the slide.
Old September 20, 2012, 11:40 AM   #8
ClydeFrog

Breakfree vs other top CLPs....

I'm not a huge fan of Breakfree. I used it a lot in the US armed forces but I'd buy other cleaning-gun care products now.
Mpro7's LPX is highly respected & in use with many military units/LE.
Gunzilla, Eezox and Weaponshield are also top CLPs. They seem to have a better design than Breakfree for cleaning-protecting firearms.
The German spray; Ballistol is a fine gun care product. I've used it on rubber, plastic, steel, polymer frames, wood, etc with 0 problems.
It's non-toxic, CFC free and useful around the shop or home too.

In closing, I'd research the other major CLPs like LPX or Gunzilla before using Breakfree.

ClydeFrog
Old September 20, 2012, 11:52 AM   #9
Mrgunsngear

I got a gallon of it years and years ago. I use it on all my guns without issue--works great.

That said, I do use lithium grease on metal rails as well. Probably not necessary but just throwing it out there...
Old September 20, 2012, 02:24 PM   #10
claydoctor

I have a shelf full of such products but find I could get along with just two, Shooters Choice choke and bore cleaner for cleaning and G96 for lubrication. The latter just smells so good!
Old September 20, 2012, 03:58 PM   #11
Kazaam

So can I just buy Ballistol (a CLP) and use it to clean the whole thing? Sounds fine in theory:

Spray inside, clean it out, spray on a cloth and rub the outside, everything's good? So just Ballistol, a bore brush, an old tooth brush and some cotton swabs/rags? And grease on the rails.
Old September 20, 2012, 04:12 PM   #12
rodfac

Yes...Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old September 20, 2012, 04:28 PM   #13
jimbob86

Break Free CLP smells .... not good for CCW.

Don't wanna smell like a gun nut i the produce aisle.
Old September 20, 2012, 04:39 PM   #14
Technosavant

Sufficient? Sure.

Ideal at everything? Not really. I like it as an all around product- for certain things I'll use a specific solvent or lubricant, but in general BF CLP is "good enough."
Old September 20, 2012, 04:46 PM   #15
bourbonblast3r

I've used it to clean my M91/30 since I got it. Damn thing was made in 1943. Old, beat-up, and has about 800 rounds through it (that I know of). Still works fine thanks to CLP.

Not bad on my AR as well, although I do admit that the stink will follow if youre CCW
AR-15 .223 (Spikes lower/A4 upper)
Old September 20, 2012, 05:22 PM   #16
MonsterB

Quote:
Break Free CLP smells .... not good for CCW.

Don't wanna smell like a gun nut i the produce aisle.
Anyone who can actually recognize the smell of CLP over the onions, broccoli, leeks, and potatoes in the produce aisle is not gonna give a crap. Anti gun nazi's do not recognize the smell of clp, why would they, they havent been exposed to it. Nice try!
Old September 20, 2012, 05:39 PM   #17
Kazaam

Wait, will ballistol actually make my pistol smell like crap?
Old September 20, 2012, 05:44 PM   #18
marine6680

Here is my take on it... (copied from another post of mine)

CLP: Cleaner Lubricant Preservative... Cleans well if slower than normal cleaners. It is a good lubricant, as good and probably better than regular gun oil. I find that it stays in place better than regular gun oils. As a preservative/metal protectant/corrosion preventative, it is one of the best performing you can get. A good coat of CLP before long term storage will serve very well. It does dry out a little, but not as much as regular gun oil. One benefit of using CLP, is that the built in cleaners help prevent the dirt and grime from sticking in the firearm. Parts tend to wipe cleaner easier. You may not even need a standard cleaner if you use CLP a lot/regularly. They make it in bottled liquid, aerosol, and spray bottle forms.

Balistol: It is a CLP type cleaner, how well it lubricates, I do not know as I have never used it. Its not really a true CLP I don't believe, I know its been around for a long time though, and many claim it smells good enough to prevent dirty looks from others in the house.

As a cleaner... CLP is OK... passable... as lubricant and rust protection it is pretty good.

One thing I find it works well is in ARs, (makes sense that it would) due to the cleaning agents it helps keep the gunk that gets into the receiver from solidifying and gumming up the action. Shooting a lot of rounds, spray some into the action and it starts breaking up the gunk... even in other firearms... I tend to fire several hundred rounds of 22 in my Ruger rifle every range trip, and a 22 gets real dirty. A spray of CLP helps free up the action and keep it working longer.

That being said... I do not use it as my primary lubricant except for in ARs. Mostly because there are better lubricants I can use, and most firearms do not run as dirty or as hard as an AR does/can.

I use Breakfree because its easy to find... but the formula changed when Safariland took over. I am not sure for the better... Other brands may be better, I may try them.

Last edited by marine6680; September 20, 2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old September 20, 2012, 05:49 PM   #19
Kazaam

Appreciate the in depth review(s)! If you had to choose one cleaner and one lubricant/protectant, what would you choose?
Old September 20, 2012, 06:01 PM   #20
Ole 5 hole group

Breakfree CLP is a great product and there are several top notched people that recommend it for their firearms, such as Les Baer.

If you want 2 or more products to do about the same thing as Breakfree (breakfree doesn't do much for copper removal) then I'd recommend Eezox for rust/corrosion prevention and BoreTech C4 carbon remover and if copper is a problem, then add BoreTech CU+2 copper remover.
Old September 20, 2012, 06:06 PM   #21
marine6680

If I was forced to choose... A good effective bore cleaner and CLP. Should cover everything you need to do. CLP is not great on a really dirty bore, but good for general cleaning plus lubrication and rust protection. Its not too bad for cleaning the bore of firearms only shooting jacketed rounds though.
Old September 20, 2012, 06:18 PM   #22
wayneinFL

I like Breakfree. I use it when I'm traveling, because it's a good all around product and I like the way it smells. Does a great job cleaning out powder residue/carbon. I think the only thing better than Breakfree at removing powder residue is Shooter's Choice.

It doesn't seem to do much for lead or copper fouling, but I don't get enough of that to necessitate bore solvent every time I shoot.
Old September 20, 2012, 06:22 PM   #23
BloodyBucket03

Break-free CLP works, I used it when I was a soldier but EEZOX is better
"He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and "if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buyone.'' Luke 22:36
Old September 20, 2012, 06:26 PM   #24
bamiller

Tried others and keep going back. Clean my pistols after every range session with it. Only gripe is it will "ooze" for a few days so make sure you store where runoff is not any issue or you place protection (cloth,etc.) under it.

Last edited by bamiller; September 20, 2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old September 20, 2012, 07:07 PM   #25
whippoorwill

Used it for years as a cleaner and lubricant for interior parts. Love it. I typically wipe down the exterior with Rig.