The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 24, 2010, 02:46 PM   #1
Ballistic Mule

A5 friction ring setting with Cutts

Trying to find out how to get an A5 to cycle w/ the Cutts comp.

I understand the light/heavy setting and have seen instruction that said to put the friction ring at the bottom of the mag. tube taking it out of play,is this correct? I have also been told "never run the gun w/out the ring at least in the light setting"

So far I have tried..
1 Rem oil in the ring area.
2 WD40
3 couple of drops of 40 weight motor oil

The best I get is 5 rds. and FTE. Has anyone figured the right combo out?

I see alot of these guns set up w/ cutts so someone has bound to have cracked the code.

Any help? thanks.
Old October 24, 2010, 06:09 PM   #2
grousehunter49

Cutts comp A5

Make sure the chamber is smooth as glass, clean with oooo steel wool wraped on bore brush and use drill to polish it, make sure your mag tube is clean too.spray oil on steel wool so you wou,nt scratch it.CHAMBER.
Old October 25, 2010, 11:02 PM   #3
bamatj

I have had the same problem. Mine would work fine without the steel band around the bronze friction ring. But I figured the bronze piece would not last like this and would take a beating and start spreading out.

What I did was to take the steel band that goes around the bronze piece and heated it up to take some of the spring out of it. Then I slowly started spreading it apart, as even as I could. It took me a few tries to get it the right size. You might have to spread the bronze piece just a bit, but I would be careful with it. What I was aiming for was to spread the bronze slightly, but not so much the tapered side would be so big as to not go inside the taper on the barrel ring. And then just have slight pressure from the steel band. After 3 or 4 tries I got it the right size, I just took my time.

The good news is if you mess up you can still buy the friction rings and they are not to expensive. I have shot about a case through mine with no problems once I got it set. I took it dove hunting and I think I had one or two FTE. I can live with one or two FTE out of a case of bird loads, lets me know I have it set close.

If I ever have problems with this set up I will probably make a custom friction ring. Also, I have heard Remington Model 11s has a setting for a Cutts. I dont know if they use the same rings as an A5 though. It might be with a bronze piece only, but I dont see it holding up on there by itself, but I could be wrong.
Old October 26, 2010, 04:45 PM   #4
Ballistic Mule

Thanks for the replies. I have noticed the friction ring is a tight fit but I assumed it was a good thing being my 1st A5. I'll try both tips and get back w/ ya. Thanks much.
Old October 26, 2010, 05:29 PM   #5
grousehunter49

A5 cutts

I picked up a spare friction piece for mine, took the one was on her off, very sloppy with the band off, still worked good, put the other on , verry tight with the band on , shug with it off, still works perfect, I,m shootin light loads set on heavy,If you got a cutts on yours and they cut off the lenght of the cutts so it would be the same lenght, it should,nt made any differance you would think, I,de clean the chamber first and mag tube, then if it don,t work, go the other route, the hold perpose of friction pieces,is to cause friction.

MY mistake, It,s my Franchi 48AL that i,m shootin light loads set on heavy, sorry about that. My A5 is set on light.

Last edited by grousehunter49; October 26, 2010 at 06:05 PM.
Old October 26, 2010, 09:46 PM   #6
bamatj

The Cutts reduces recoil 25-30%. So it needs less friction.