The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 19, 2013, 07:41 PM   #1
Nathan

I contributed to the run on primers, sorry!

I was at the LGS. He had 4000 CCI SPP. I kind of wanted a box, but I have 1400 now. I was gonna pass, but 3 boxes sold while I looked at shotguns for 5 min, so I thought"better get em while they got em! So I bought the last box!

I'll use my 2400 primers, but I probably could have waited. Well, got em now for pre-2A assault pricing...
Old March 19, 2013, 08:30 PM   #2
leadchucker

I usually tried to keep a couple of thousand of small pistol primers on the shelf. That's what I had back when the hoarding started. Then I thought I would do the right thing and not increase my stock. Now I'm down to a couple of hundred, with little hope of finding any more.

Nah. If I find a decent deal on five or ten thousand, I'm gonna jump on it like a duck on a june bug.
Old March 19, 2013, 08:37 PM   #3
reynolds357

I try to keep at least 50K combined betwen small rifle and large rifle. I have about 10K pistol right now. I want to stock up, but Magtech is all I use in pistol and its hard to find even pre panic.
Old March 19, 2013, 09:19 PM   #4
Colorado Redneck

Went to Sportsmans's the other Friday--after their weekly shipment arrived. They only got in Accurate Powder, and I haven't used much of that. 40 gr. Ballistic Tips (.224) are the best thing for a 222 Rem I use for prairie dogs, and I don't have many. There was a 3 pack (3 boxes 100 rds per @ ) in the shopping cart where they had put the bullets from that shipment. I cut the pack open and took one box---wanted to take all three, but have been complaining about hoarders. Got clear to the cash register and thought--"What the heck---I may not get another chance for a few months" so went back. There was one box left. I took it too.

This shortage thing makes us all kind of crazy. I would give an eye tooth for one pound of Varget. I may die of old age before there is any available. Every night I check about 10 online vendors---Midway etc-- and have it on back order at Natchez.
Old March 19, 2013, 09:44 PM   #5
lamarw

It was nice of you to attempt to cop a plea, but I find you "Not Guilty". Your small score would not even qualify as a misdemeanor in this jury of your peers.
Old March 20, 2013, 06:01 AM   #6
Magnum Wheel Man

agreed ^^^ I was really low on small pistol & large rifle, & a couple weeks ago I happened into Cabela's right after they shelved a shipment from CCI ( they had everything but magnum primers ) I bought 4,000 of each... 8,000 might seem like hording, but to me, that was just restocking the sizes I was really low on... if I would have had more money, I might have bought more... but probably not, since I'm not trying to perpetuate the shortage... actually saw they had some Remington large pistol primers on the shelf last weekend... if they were small pistol, I might have bought another box... I load a lot of antique pocket guns, & could still use a box of softer cup small pistol... otherwise I don't mind the CCI's for pretty much everything else but large rifle magnums, which I'd pick up a box of Federal 215's if I found them ( hate the big boxes enough though, that I'd probably load them all, into empty cases right away so I didn't have to deal with their oversize packaging...
Old March 20, 2013, 07:02 AM   #7
adamc

Here in Connecticut, the shelves are dusty, even at cabelas :-(

Connecticut was the Cradle of the Gun Industry, NOW it is just a Pine Box,
Courtesy of our Governor "Chairman MAO Malloy"