The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: Cutting back or not going for now?
cutting way back on range trips 12 54.55%
stopped going for now (saving current ammo supply) 10 45.45%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 26, 2013, 09:51 AM   #1
Double Impact

Range trips

How many people here are cutting back or holding off there range trips until the ammo shortage loosens up or ends?

I should have added neither no change in my range trips, But I don't know how to change that now so if you are going to the range as always I guess you can just post that and don't vote.

Last edited by Double Impact; February 26, 2013 at 09:57 AM.
Old February 26, 2013, 10:36 AM   #2
bumnote

I've cut way back....from once every 7-14 days to once in the last 6 weeks. It's not because of problems getting or the price of ammo, I reload and after the '08 panic I planned ahead prior to the '12 election...there are too many people there! I went Saturday morning and realized I would have to wait over 2 hours for a lane...I went home. Not the first time I've done that lately. Northern Virginia has a profound lack of places to shoot.
The ranges are freakin' packed! I love that many, many, many new folks have started shooting around here. It's unreal, but the downside is the crowds at the ranges are huge. During football season, Sunday afternoon would normally be a good time to good...most everyone was at home watching the games. Not the case this season.
Old February 26, 2013, 01:19 PM   #3
Crosswire3

I've been going even more than before with all the new owners looking for basic instruction. Luckily I had enough put back to help them out for a while...we'll see how long it can continue.
Old February 26, 2013, 01:27 PM   #4
SPEMack618

The only range trips I've been on since the Sandy Hook tradegy have been to the backyard with my Big Sister and "her" new Bodyguard.

I will glady blow through my stock of pistol primers and powder, not to mention panic buy all the .380 I can find, if it means she will shoot more.
Old February 26, 2013, 01:30 PM   #5
BarryLee

So, far no change as it relates to handguns, but I could see that changing. Like a lot of you I buy ammo in bulk and had a decent supply of practice ammo before the recent panic buying started. However, I am getting seriously low on carry ammo and have stopped using it at the range. I am also running a little low on .223 so not really shooting the AR-15 much.

I will be honest that other than an occasional scan of on-line sources or a quick visit to local retailers I have not gotten real aggressive about pursuing more ammo, but that may change.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old February 26, 2013, 01:42 PM   #6
DaleA

Quote:
The ranges are freakin' packed!
Too right Bumnote. I've guess I've been spoiled. During the week I used to be able to get my choice of lanes, now there is a waiting line to shoot. Not two hours, it's not that bad here in the MN Twin Cities yet but still a wait and the range personnel are justifiably a little frazzled handling all the newbies. Gone are the days when you could leisurely discuss guns and shooting with the range folk.
Old February 26, 2013, 05:43 PM   #7
jonnyc

Still go every Sunday.
Old February 26, 2013, 05:59 PM   #8
huntinaz

I have not had to alter my shooting practices, but I only shoot an average of once or twice a month. I took some steps to prevent myself from being short on things. The 2008 panic made an impression on me.
Old February 26, 2013, 06:29 PM   #9
Skans

I just go to a range that sells ammo. They sell it at a reasonable price for range purposes only. You can only buy one box at a time - that's fine with me.
Old February 26, 2013, 07:34 PM   #10
Hansam

Sadly I've had to cut my shooting down a lot to prevent running out of ammo. With even reloading supplies (primers!) being so difficult to obtain now shooting for recreation has basically become non-existent. I still get to the range to shoot for practice but I don't put nearly as many rounds down range as I used to.

I'm hoping that supplies return to normal soon.
Old February 26, 2013, 08:52 PM   #11
Kevin Rohrer

You left out the choice of NOT cutting back.

I stockpiled components and have enough to shoot to my heart's content for a long time, AND survive the Zombie Apocalypse.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old February 26, 2013, 09:18 PM   #12
Puddle

NRA Range is too packed. Land where I can shoot is too far and have had too much going on recently to go there. But that will change next weekend. I'm generally shooting 12 ga. and 7.62x39 which I can still get (and have enough of). Not shooting 5.56 at all right now.
Old February 26, 2013, 10:23 PM   #13
Tucker 1371

Not cutting WAY back, just a little bit. And I buy ammo from the range I shoot at so as not to burn up my current stock.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old February 27, 2013, 12:09 AM   #14
SHE3PDOG

I bought my wife a Sig p229 because she liked it. She likes to brag about how its better than my Glock 23 that I keep at my bedside. It is a pretty nice gun though, in all honesty.

I try to take her to the range as much as possible because she likes it a lot. I'm a Marine on active duty, so long periods of time away from her happen, but knowing that she can handle anything that comes through our door uninvited is certainly reassuring. To me, that is worth every penny of buying ammo and range time on a regular basis.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old February 27, 2013, 12:39 AM   #15
chadio

The cross bow is getting a bit more love than usual...
Old February 27, 2013, 02:17 AM   #16
chris in va

You need a third option, 'No change'.

Reloading is a wonderful thing. So is casting.
Old February 27, 2013, 02:26 AM   #17
JimmyR

I confess

I had a small stockpile of 9mm ammo, but most of it got eaten up breaking in my new px4 that I got. Probably gonna hit the range this week, and probably end up shooting more of my funky stuff (.32 ACP) if my LGS still has some Fiocchi 7.65 Browning (yes, thats how its labeled; yes I know they are the same) in stock.
Old February 27, 2013, 02:59 AM   #18
Redhawk5.5+P+

Quote:
stopped going for now (saving current ammo supply)
I haven't even shot my new (last July) Glock 20SF (10mm) I wanted to wait tell my 9x25 6" Dillon barrel that has been on backorder for some months, exp delivery DEC 3 2012. now exp delivery 3/24/2013 to Midwayusa.com, Wolf has let me down time and time again, and I've been very patient.

I'm chawing at the bit to shoot it with all the $1500 I invested ($600gun+900added). I'm still happy with my hybrid Glock. The long slide is almost zero Glock.

Photo's already uploaded on some of my other post's.
Old February 27, 2013, 04:10 AM   #19
ljnowell

You forgot the "I'm a reloader and always keep a good supply of components so this doesnt affect me at all"" option.
Old February 27, 2013, 04:50 AM   #20
sourdough44

I much prefer going to our secluded camp property over an organized range. Then next in line is my friend's farm. The last choice is the range. I hardly cut back.
Old February 27, 2013, 05:41 AM   #21
Double Impact

You know even if I would have added or thought to add some of the options mentioned in my poll some people will keep telling me I missed or should have added something else.

All I can say is respond in type what your something else is and don't vote.?
Old February 27, 2013, 03:55 PM   #22
P5 Guy

Neither

Because I was hoarding back in the day when it was called stock piling I have not reduced my shooting, only the weather interferes with trips to the range.