The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 18, 2012, 08:05 PM   #1
Slugo

Big Jim, I'm looking at a Benelli Sport II...

12g/28" with about 100 rounds through it. Owner is asking $1200 delivered. Any thoughts or recommendations appreciated, by any of you knowledgeable with this particular model.

Thanks...
Old August 18, 2012, 08:42 PM   #2
oneounceload

You flipping? Because I remember you saying you were going strictly to 20 gauge

Dude, you change your mind more than my wife changes her hair color.....
Old August 18, 2012, 09:21 PM   #3
Slugo

if I get it for the right price, I'll play with it, then dump. Unless, I really like the gun. Never owned a Benelli auto...
Old August 19, 2012, 02:30 AM   #4
TheKlawMan

Slugo, He is asking 1200 for a gun with an 1800 MSRP. That is only 600 off of list. What is the street price of a new one? GunsAmerica wants 1689. Does 489 leave much room for a flip at a profit? If you want to have fun with the gun and am not looking to make any profit, go for it.
Old August 19, 2012, 03:09 AM   #5
Slugo

TKM, as long as I can recoup my investment on this one, I would be OK with it. Also, I'm offering $1000 even on the gun which if the seller accepts, gives me a cushion...
Old August 19, 2012, 07:17 AM   #6
PJR

I've run a couple hundred rounds through a borrowed Benelli Cordoba which is the same gun just with a different finish. My only gripe about it was the trigger pull which was very heavy and long even compared to my Beretta 391.

The one I used was reliable, handled well and I liked it but not so much that I'd buy one.
Old August 19, 2012, 11:54 AM   #7
TheKlawMan

Sounds good Slugo. When I upgraded to the XS Skeet from the 870 Express, I was very interested in the Super Sport.
Old August 19, 2012, 02:23 PM   #8
BigJimP

Sounds like a fair price Slugo ....in my area, new, they're selling for about $1,900.../ist is $ 2150 or so now ...and the last used one I saw was about $ 1,350.

Not that you haven't ...but I'd take it apart and check it. Look for obvious abuse.....once you take the forend nut off...and slide forend off...take barrel off - hold the bolt release back...and the top of the reciever comes off as a separate piece. At that point you can slide the whole bolt group out...and if you punch out one pin ...you can drop the whole trigger group out. If owner lets you / or shows you ...bolt group comes apart in about 10 seconds...pull out bolt retraction lever, depress and remove stud holding firing pin in ..remove firing pin ...and pull pin and remove bolt head..and check the recoil spring inside the bolt assembly ...( make sure it clean / no burrs...) ...check the rails make sure no burrs.../ same thing on trigger group ....easy to do / easy to check.

check the barrel to receiver connection ...should be clean and lubed...

Gun should come with 5 chokes ( Cyc, IC, Mod, IM, Full ) and crio barrel gives me a little tighter pattern than my other guns so I shoot one less choke than normal in this gun ( so Cyc for Skeet, IC for 16 yd Trap, etc..and sporting IC mostly )...

Gun is real light ...so I find the 28" barrel a little too short and too light ...but at 6'5" and 290 lbs ...I like heavier and longer guns..../ but for resale the 28" in this gun is not preferred / longer sight plane on a 7 lb gun helps smoothe out the swing on it ...and its only 0.1 lb heavier I think. It was available in 12ga in 28" or 30" ....and it should have the longest LOP insert in stock and the comb insert that is level with the rest of the comb ..giving it some drop at comb ...there are 2 other recoil pads you can buy and 2 other comb pads you can buy ( about $100 each ) and recoil pads for lefties as well ... Personally, I like the highest of the comb pads...makes it virtually a parallel comb gun.

Same gun is available in 20ga...but only in 28" barrel ...and it feels way too short for me.../ good training gun for the kids...

My 12ga gun will cycle any shell as long as its 1200 fps ....7/8 oz, 1 oz, doesn't matter....but to make sure it does that ...gun needs to be clean and well lubed. But they shoot so clean ...I've run my gun for 1,000 shells or so over a weekend, without cleaning, and no cycling issues. However, it only takes 10 min to disassemble it --- clean and lube it ---and put it back into battery. In my 20ga - all I've shot in it is 2 3/4" reloads at 7/8 oz and 1200 fps...

There are not many around used ....but at $ 1250 used / even if you were able to ask up to $ 1,400 for it used ....there are a lot of gas guns on the market your potential buyers will buy new ...for less money - and pretty nice guns from Beretta or Browning as an example. I don't know that you can make a profit off it ...vs buy it and keep it, if you want one. I think on this gun in particular ....because of price, its a small market / a lot of guys would like one ...but not at $ 1,250 plus...they go to something else...

Check out the specs online ...Benelli has a good website....and they have an upgraded model on the super sport now too ...I forget what they call it right now.

I like my supersports a lot ...I use them primarily as rain guns / or travel guns ...or training guns ...or when my rebuilt shoulder is bad and I don't want to shoot a 28ga or something lighter. The supersports are both semi-autos I'll keep long term ( mine are about 8 yrs old now I think ). I bought the 12ga first ...after I fractured my shoulder blade...and I couldn't shoot my 12ga 8 1/2 lb O/U Brownings ...so I needed something lighter ...and some kind of semi-auto to compete that summer in sporting clays...and it allowed me to do that /while I was healing. I still shoot it 4 or 5 times a yr...just because...or when it rains. I travel with it ...because it does a lot of things well....some clays, some hunting, some Trap or whatever...and I only need to take 1 gun on airlines ...and its not a $5,000 gun that I would cry over, if it got beat up by airlines...

that's my 2 cents

Last edited by BigJimP; August 19, 2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old August 19, 2012, 02:34 PM   #9
Slugo

Jim, it only has 100 rounds through it! Owner purchased it NIB a few months ago. Everything is there, case, chokes, all accessories, etc.
Old August 19, 2012, 02:38 PM   #10
BigJimP

sure, I understand ....but 100 rds or 10,000 rds thru it ( if it was taken care of ) ....you won't be able to get any more for it used...

If you trust the guy and its really only 100 rds ...then maybe you don't have to check it ....

but why is he selling it ...when did he buy it ...did he buy it, like I did, for around $1,000 8 yrs ago ...??? and why doesn't he want to keep it ???
Old August 19, 2012, 02:46 PM   #11
BigJimP

Wait a minute..... ....the Sport II ( I misread your original note ) .....ignore everything I wrote before ....my mistake !!

brand new Sport II is listing at $1789 or so ....and probably selling for around $ 1,500 new....

this is a whole different beast than the Super sport model ...the wood stock on the Sport II means you have no comfort tech system in it....so its going to give you way more recoil than a gas gun ....where the synthetic stocked benelli's with the comfort tech in them ...give you about the same recoil as a gas gun / and a lighter gun....

At $ 1,250 the Sport II is not a good buy ..for resale ...in my opinion. That's full retail used on it .../ and my hunch is he's selling it because it was beating the stuffing out of him with that wood stock....

A Benelli with a wood stock / or any stock ....without the Comfort Tech system in it...is not a good gun in my view.....

Last edited by BigJimP; August 19, 2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old August 19, 2012, 05:01 PM   #12
RUT

>>and my hunch is he's selling it because it was beating the stuffing out of him with that wood stock....<<

Not necessarily so. I've been using a Sport ll for the last six years for sporting clays, and it in no way "beats the stuffing out of me". I've put countless thousands of rounds through it, and the only mods I've done are installing a Kick-Eez butt pad and a C&H 8 oz. recoil reducer. In fact, I like it so much I have the same gun in 20 ga. If this gun is as nice as you say then I wouldn't hesitate to pay ~$1250.00 for it. They are dead reliable and about as easy to breakdown & clean as it gets. Good luck!
Old August 19, 2012, 10:29 PM   #13
Slugo

I used to shoot the old model that came with two Kevlar ribs, a high and a low. All wood furniture and I never had a recoil problem with the gun. Only problem I had with the gun were the ribs, they would loosen up every now and then and it was distracting. I would never consider a black plastic gun, unless I was going duck hunting on the Susquehanna River...
Old August 20, 2012, 11:13 AM   #14
BigJimP

Oh come on now....my grandkids think the SuperSport is very cool...( you could use a little bit of cool in your life ...!! )....

http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...9&d=1226958132

as a rule, I hate plastic guns too ...especially handguns...but the SuperSport is ok ..( even if it is a little ugly )....
Old August 20, 2012, 12:54 PM   #15
oneounceload

Slugo - as an aside - friend is selling a 425 in 20 with 30" tubes - if interested, PM me - Midas chokes and leather/canvas case - should go well with the others
Old August 20, 2012, 01:52 PM   #16
Slugo

1oz, send info to me direct; asking price, condition, pictures, etc. Thanks...

[email protected]
Old August 20, 2012, 02:30 PM   #17
oneounceload

email sent
Old August 20, 2012, 08:56 PM   #18
BigJimP

Oh, come on ...show the rest of us too ....we like pictures too ....( I won't steal it from him, I promise )....
Old August 20, 2012, 09:00 PM   #19
Slugo

BJP, you wouldn't like it. It's really a Mossy shotty!!! LOLOL...
Old August 21, 2012, 10:28 AM   #20
BigJimP

ok, never mind....
Old August 21, 2012, 10:44 AM   #21
oneounceload

Sorry Jim, only have a flyer - nice wood, nice looking gun, if I was in the market for something like this, the price is right, and it would already be in MY safe
Old August 21, 2012, 11:19 AM   #22
BigJimP

I didn't really want a 425 ....I was just yanking Slugo's chain....

....but I do think of the 325, 425, 525, 625, and now 725 series of the Citori's....the 425 came closer to fitting me than any of the others..../ but I'm not in the market for anymore shotguns unless my shoulder gets a lot worse....then I might even go to a --- Budda forgive me...--- a Gas Gun ----god, that was hard to say ....
Old August 21, 2012, 07:05 PM   #23
Slugo

BJP, other than some simple scroll work the 325, 425, 525 and 625 are basically the same gun. If one fits, they all fit. The new 725 carries different dimensions and weight...
Old August 22, 2012, 07:27 AM   #24
PJR

Most Brownings are the same but the Browning 325 IIRC has a different method of barrel construction. It has chopper lump barrels. Later models have mono-bloc. Chopper lump barrels are more expensive to make and found more often on higher end guns. Although largely a trivial issue it does make the 325 a little more desirable.

http://www.hallowellco.com/lumps.htm
Old August 22, 2012, 08:59 AM   #25
Slugo

PJR, you're exactly right. But the size and feel of the guns are exactly the same...