The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old August 1, 2005, 05:05 AM   #1
CyberSEAL

First Class III Weapon - Question

So I've been thinking about getting my first class III weapon, probably going to be an MP5 or an M249 SAW. I live in Virginia and my local LEO's will sign off on it, my question is about the BATF inspection requirements. I have searched here and on other forums and have yet to find a definitive answer.

Can the BATF come to my home 24/7/365 and demand to inspect the weapon itself?
Old August 1, 2005, 12:09 PM   #2
boofus

If you buy the weapon as a private citizen or non-firearms related business... No, unless they go through due process and get a warrant from a judge.

If you buy the weapon for your federally licensed firearms business. Yes.

Have you even looked at the prices for those weapons? A transferable MP5 only goes for about $13,000. A transferable M249 would be well over $100,000. Hell you see prices for pre-sample M249s for $50,000-75,000 all the time.
Old August 1, 2005, 06:39 PM   #3
rugerdude

While I can't give any info, I must say that is makes me incredibly sad to see guns costing this much because of some stupid law. I mean, 100,000 dollars plus all the hoops you have to jump through............It makes me want to cry.

Not my quote but I agree completely.
Old August 1, 2005, 09:08 PM   #4
CyberSEAL

Uhhh, I've seen both 249's and MP5's for less than 10 grand, is that a dealer only price I'm seeing? I saw an M249 on gunbroker.com just a month or so ago for about 7 grand. I have some land that needs clearing, thought it would be good for that, lol.
Old August 1, 2005, 10:14 PM   #5
boofus

The price you are seeing is for Govt/Law Enforcement/Class 3 dealers.
Old August 1, 2005, 10:29 PM   #6
CyberSEAL

Sonofa... I can afford either at those prices but would never pay it on principle. Perhaps I'll get an FFL and deal with the inspection threat...
Old August 1, 2005, 11:01 PM   #7
wardog

I may be wrong, but from what I understand, becoming a class III dealer simply to get your own machine gun(s) is a felony. You actually have to have a store front and do business. Your home could be your business if you didn't have zoning restrictions.
Old August 2, 2005, 12:02 AM   #8
CyberSEAL

I don't think you have to have a storefront, I believe you are correct about performing business functions of some sort though. Good point, I've sold a few guns on gunbroker before, so I could continue doing that to justify my FFL. Maybe not thought, if anyone else has info on this it would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old August 2, 2005, 05:54 AM   #9
Hkmp5sd

The SOT to deal in machineguns is $1,000 per year. To get a post-86 sample, you will still need a letter from a law enforcement or government agency requesting a demostration of that firearm. You can get pre-86 dealer samples without the letter, but their cost is rapidly approaching that of transferrable machineguns. If you give up the SOT, you must get rid of any post-86 samples in your inventory.

If you want an MP5, pay the $10,000 to $15,000 for a transferrable gun. You will end up spending about that amount trying to start up a FFL/SOT business and then acquire a dealer sample.

NRA Life Member