The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 13, 2015, 10:53 AM   #26
Pahoo

Very nice !!!

maillemaker
Good call and you did mention that the others came out fairly easy. All you needed to take care of this headache, was an aspirin. Thanks for the follow-up as I have been looking forward to see the fix. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old September 13, 2015, 02:59 PM   #27
maillemaker

Quote:
Good call and you did mention that the others came out fairly easy. All you needed to take care of this headache, was an aspirin.
Yup, I think the previous owner just didn't apply enough downward pressure when removing the nipples for cleaning and, thanks to the notoriously soft steel in these repros, just rounded them off.

Hopefully with the re-filed flats and the lithium grease applied to the threads they will come out easily enough next time. I really don't feel like dropping $40 on a set of nipples.

Steve
Old September 13, 2015, 04:08 PM   #28
gyvel

This would be my method: First, I would let the nipple soak with applications of "100% pure natural wintergreen oil" that you get from your local tree hugger health food store (not the Walgreens variety), then I would bore the nipple out enough to get an EZ Out into it.

As always, YMMV.
SIFE
Old September 13, 2015, 06:23 PM   #29
Pahoo

Options !!!

Quote:
lithium grease applied to the threads
You may want to go to a regular anti-seize product. ....

JMHO and;
Be Safe !!!
Old September 16, 2015, 09:22 AM   #30
4V50 Gary
Staff

Using the vise was neat. Way to go Steve.
Old September 16, 2015, 09:01 PM   #31
603doug

i had fasteners broke off in a crank and knew every easyout i have ever tried was one more thing to drill out. I chased down a Mac tool guy and he had this system you drill a hole and tap a spined rod into the hole then a special nut slid over the spine and you could back out the most miserable screw. It has all sizes and i have used it hundreds of times with success. Damn thing cost 75 bucks at the time but was well spent.
Old September 16, 2015, 11:05 PM   #32
Model12Win

Soak in WD-40 overnight. Then use a thing pair of needle nose pliers wrapper with leather to remove the nipples.
Old September 17, 2015, 03:45 AM   #33
mehavey

Op already fixed it by using (what can only be described as)
a very long dwell-time impact wrench.
Old September 17, 2015, 08:17 AM   #34
maillemaker

Thanks guys!

Quote:
a very long dwell-time impact wrench.

Steve
Old September 17, 2015, 08:57 AM   #35
foolzrushn

undersized?

Does your wrench still fit well enough to remove this filed nipple? It occurred to me that if it was too undersized, You might possibly file new flats 90 degrees from the old ones, that would fit your wrench.

Only if necessary of course. Really I don't tighten my nipples much at all. That might change if I lose one.

certified 'soap welder'
Old September 17, 2015, 10:17 AM   #36
Mike Irwin
Staff

In the future, a deep freeze can be your friend.

I've removed VERY thoroughly stuck screws and bolts in the past using penetrating oil and letting the part(s) sit in a freezer for several days.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 17, 2015, 11:54 AM   #37
maillemaker

Quote:
Does your wrench still fit well enough to remove this filed nipple? It occurred to me that if it was too undersized, You might possibly file new flats 90 degrees from the old ones, that would fit your wrench.

Only if necessary of course. Really I don't tighten my nipples much at all. That might change if I lose one.
I just used a file to dress up the shoulders. Should be enough bite now to remove them if I'm careful. Sadly I was not careful with the file on one of the nipples and now the side of the nipple has a very slight flat spot on it now - hopefully this does not become a gap to cause a chain fire! Really I need to buy a replacement set of nipples and will probably do so at some point.

I do not crank the nipples in extremely tight when I put them in, and I applied lithium grease to the threads before re-installing them, so hopefully they will now come out easily the next time.

You just have to be very careful when disassembling these Italian reproductions and use well-fitting, well-seated tools when working on them as it is easy to bugger screw heads, nipple shoulders, etc.

sTeve
Old September 18, 2015, 12:57 AM   #38
James K
Member In Memoriam

Rounded edges on nipples, and rounded off screw slots have the same cause; the driver/wrench was allowed to slip off the work.

So the removal of nipples with worn shoulders and screws with worn slots can be handled the same way. Use a short nipple wrench or screwdriver blade. Clamp it in the chuck of a drill press. Do not turn on the power. Clamp the work (suitably padded) in the drill press vise and bring the tool down onto the nipple or screw. Hold the chuck down with the drill press handle and turn the chuck by hand, working it back and forth.

If the screw or nipple doesn't respond to that treatment, especially after soaking in a penetrant, give up and drill the thing out.

Jim
Old September 18, 2015, 08:42 AM   #39
bedbugbilly

In years past, I've had original long guns with really battered nipples and shoulders so that they couldn't be removed with a nipple wrench. If all else fails, find a good machinist who can clamp it square in a drill press or mill - bore/drill the hole out large enough to use a very small "easy out". Gently drive the easy out into the bored hole and the gripping power of the easy out on the inside of the bored hole should allow you to use a small crescent/open end wrench to back out what remains of the nipple - which should be pretty much a threaded "sleeve".
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63