The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 27, 2015, 07:34 AM   #1
georgiacatweazle

Any particular makes to avoid for 45LC pistols ?

I'm thinking about either another BP steel frame or factory 45LC such as the usual 'cattleman' style etc.
in the case of current manufacted 45LC, Uberti / Cimarron, Traditions, Heritage etc, are there any that are just too 'blah' or too cheaply constructed that dictates avoiding ?
I would like to spend in the region of $300-$350, maybe a smidge more, not overkeen on the basic matt-black armscor looking ones. the cimarron appear to be the best and have nice looking blueing.
i'm figuring you cannot really go wrong with a 45LC these days.
objective is to have a range toy for now, then maybe next year do some SASS.
would like to have anything be able to do double duty with defensive ammo too.

thanks
Old August 27, 2015, 07:45 AM   #2
Doc Hoy

Not going to get much for under 400.00

I have four Ubertis one of which is a Smokewagon from Taylor's. I am not a purist and can't really see much difference between the Italian Ubertis and the Taylor's. One of them is an Iver Johnson-Uberti and that pistol is quite good in terms of quality even though it has some years on it.

I shoot .45 LC, .38 SP/.357 and .44 Magnum and get a lot of emotion out of everything but the .38 SP

(All bp loads)

I am not a CASS or a competition guy so the people in the group who are more discriminating in their standards will have better info.

My only thought is that even if you are buying used, you may have to go up substantially from 350.00
Old August 27, 2015, 08:02 AM   #3
georgiacatweazle

So basically any of the main brands are good to go.

I have a few leads on some 45LC from around $325 to $375 new.
Old August 27, 2015, 01:26 PM   #4
Doc Hoy

I saw prices like that..

..On the Parkerized versions. Not on blued pistols.

You might wanna snap one of those up.
Old August 27, 2015, 01:59 PM   #5
georgiacatweazle

yep i think i will
Old August 27, 2015, 07:59 PM   #6
bedbugbilly

Cmarron and Taylor are still Uberti - imported under their name. Heritage is Pietta . . . .

The "parkerized" as some call them are bead blasted . . . the Uberti Hombre is a good example. Nothing wrong with them . . . they have a good reputation as far as being good quality shooters. The Hombre is only listed on Uberti's site in the 4 3/4" for 45 Colt and 357.

If you want a different barrel length - i.e.5 1/2 or 7 1/2" (or a 4 3/4" is available as well) then you're going to have to go with a "Cattleman" - either with steel trigger guard and back strap or they are also available with Brass as well.

Be aware that there are some being sold through Sprotsmen's Warehouse, etc. but from what I'm hearing, they are the models with the cross bar safety - not the "traditional" style without that. All depends on how close you want one to an original Colt SAA and what barrel length you want.

I purchased my Uberti Bisley thorough my LGS that I use. They ordered it through Uberti - gave me a decent price that was below MSRP with a two week delivery time as Uberti (USA) had it in stock. I haven't dealt with Cimarron or Taylor so can't speak as to first hand knowledge on how they are to deal with. As my LGS said . . . a Uberti is a Uberti . . doesn't make a difference if it comes from Uberti, Taylor, or Cimarron. The main difference between the companies is on what caliber/configuration they order them in when they import them.

I'm very pleased with my Ubertis and my Bisley, while in 357, is high quality, well put together and shoots fantastic.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old August 27, 2015, 08:49 PM   #7
Crunchy Frog

Not to dissuade you from buying what you want, but most competition shooters are using .38 caliber because they are much less expensive to feed and they are easier to shoot quickly. There's no scoring advantage for the larger caliber. I know lots of new shooters who showed up with .45s, only to sell them off later to buy .38s.
Old August 28, 2015, 06:01 AM   #8
georgiacatweazle

Thanks for the info there. I don't need to worry about expense of ammo, reload everything. so 38 is not much different than 45.
i would prefer a cross bar safety or some other hammer safety, if i have 6 chambers, i'd like them all filled up :-) the god of guns made all those holes to be used otherwise he/she would have made cylinders with 7 holes :-)
Old August 28, 2015, 07:10 AM   #9
Doc Hoy

Ruger Vaquero

Excellent quality.

Question is, "Do they allow them in CASS?"

I don't shoot for competition so I don't know.
Old September 15, 2015, 01:41 AM   #10
Bugsbunny45

Great choice on the vaquero.

The ruger is the gun of choice when you get into cas. I have 38 spc and 45 long colt 2 in each caliber. The chrome finish is extra nice and they shoot like a dream..
Old September 15, 2015, 05:23 AM   #11
Doc Hoy

Yesterday had an opportunity......

....to examine a "Traditions" 4.75 inch Cattleman in .45LC at Bass Proshop. Case harden finish on frame and blued steel. Nice pistol. 479.00.

They would not unlock the trigger so I couldn't play with it. Appearance is good.

Probly wouldn't be right for CAS but it sure is an attractive pistol with 4.75 inch barrel.

Last edited by Doc Hoy; September 15, 2015 at 05:28 AM.
Old September 15, 2015, 08:06 AM   #12
drobs

The best deal to be had were the NIB $250 Uberti Hombre's that were on Gunbroker a couple years ago. I should've bought 2 of each caliber.

Alas only bought one in 357 mag.
Old September 15, 2015, 09:41 AM   #13
BlackPowderBen

I saw a uberti cattleman used for $325 and a remington 1875 outlaw for $375 one time also a uberti cattleman frisco for $300 lightly used, so you can probally find a deal somewhere
Old September 15, 2015, 10:06 AM   #14
foolzrushn

drobs

think you should consider getting some color film packs for your Polaroid.

certified 'soap welder'
Old September 15, 2015, 01:05 PM   #15
salvadore

Throats on my Uberti .45 Colt are .452.