The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 5, 2012, 08:35 PM   #1
acehigh

Gun show or Local dealer?

I am leaning towards purchasing a Glock 19, local dealers are selling it between $550 - $579.99 around me.

There is a gun show about 60 miles away from me this weekend, could I expect a big price difference between purchasing from the local dealers vs. going to the show?

This will be in NY.

Thanks
Old November 5, 2012, 09:30 PM   #2
Jo6pak

I wouldnt expect alot of savings (if any) at the gunshow.

Shop local. Find a good local shop and start contacts there. Often if you are a loyal customer, they will return the favor in the future thru deals and special service.
Old November 5, 2012, 09:35 PM   #3
Elmer

If it's a Gen 4 19, there's a chance you may have issues with it. Buy it from a good dealer and they should take care of it for you.
Old November 5, 2012, 09:40 PM   #4
ritepath

Nope probably the same prices...gun shows are basically for comparing all the models you're interested in without any sales pressure. Or finding variants of a model you're interested in that you may or may not find in stock at your LGS.
Old November 5, 2012, 10:23 PM   #5
acehigh

Great, thanks for the replies. Local it is, now I can save my gas
Old November 5, 2012, 11:40 PM   #6
chris in va

Find a used one and save yourself a hundred bucks. They won't be any different than a new gun.
Old November 6, 2012, 08:40 AM   #7
Hunter Customs

Quote:
Shop local. Find a good local shop and start contacts there. Often if you are a loyal customer, they will return the favor in the future thru deals and special service.
Very good advice from Jo6pak, most local shops are service oriented, gun shows and large box stores are not.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old November 6, 2012, 09:11 AM   #8
breakingcontact

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritepath View Post
Nope probably the same prices...gun shows are basically for comparing all the models you're interested in without any sales pressure. Or finding variants of a model you're interested in that you may or may not find in stock at your LGS.
This
Old November 6, 2012, 05:08 PM   #9
TailGator

The last gun show I attended had prices at or above MSRP. Like you said, you are most likely to waste your gas, your time, and your admission fee. Buying from someone local will get you as good a price and make you known to your local shop. Online shopping can often get you a better deal, but different gun shops take positive and negative views of doing transfers for you.
Old November 6, 2012, 05:38 PM   #10
johnwilliamson062

Double post
Old November 6, 2012, 05:40 PM   #11
johnwilliamson062

Around me you pay $10 to get in the door of a gun show.
Gas and depreciation on a vehicle for 60 miles is $30, so another $60 there. I would be VERY surprised if you save $70 on a $600 gun at the gun show. Maybe $10-15.

You can play one dealer off another if you are comfortable with that sort of thing. I lived in places where all trade is done in similar open markets for long enough that I am, but even then you won't save much.

You go to a gun show for the other stuff.
Finding a large crowd of people who say things like "excuse me" is worth it IMO.
Old November 6, 2012, 05:49 PM   #12
Newton24b

well dont forget one little fact, well two little facts.

yes your local store may not be able to order everything you want, but most can take a delivery from say budsguns website purchases.

if you have an issue with the gun, you may not be happy realizing that the gun dealer at the show traveled 70 miles to the show you traveled 60 miles to atend.
Old November 7, 2012, 07:48 AM   #13
breakingcontact

I wouldn't drive a long way for most gun shows.

They are great for buying odds and ends and particular for comparing different models.

I have bought at gun shows, but it was from large dealers with good prices.

Increasingly I just buy online and pay the LGS to handle the transfer.

If the LGS is close on price or will work with me I'll buy there but I won't pay a bunch more just to feel good about supporting the LGS.
Old November 7, 2012, 09:31 AM   #14
Hunter Customs

I can't speak for gun shows in other parts of the country but around here the gun shows I've seen are like flea markets, very few guns and gun related items.
As a matter of fact I see more guns at flea markets then I do at gun shows.

The last show I attended in Kansas City here's what I saw, burger picking jerkey vendor, toy vendors, jewelry vendors, what not vendors, clothes vendors, miscelleanous junk vendors and a few tables of gun and gun related item vendors.

It cost $16.00 for my grandson and me to get in the show plus the gas to drive the 150 mile round trip to and from the show, never again.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old November 10, 2012, 08:07 AM   #15
Walt Sherrill

The main reason for going to a gun show rather than a local dealer would be inventory: a good gun show with a lot of tables may just have the gun you want, while the dealer (or local dealers) might not.

Except for that, I'd buy locally if I could. Prices at dealers can vary from much higher than the gun show, to consistently less. It all depends on the dealer's volume, philosophy, the guns he or she carries, etc.
Old November 10, 2012, 09:59 AM   #16
whip1

It's a Glock. Not exactly a rare item. Local or online will have what your looking for.
Old November 12, 2012, 08:32 AM   #17
Skans

Glocks can be purchased at gunshows cheaper than at stores. This is a no-brainer, as far as I'm concerned - gunshow for me. Like the above poster said, it's a Glock - not much to go wrong with a new Glock. As far as used Glocks go, so long as someone hasn't taken a sodering gun to the grip, you're probably good to go.
Old November 12, 2012, 09:10 AM   #18
FP2000H

Depends on the dealer

At one of the gun shows that comes through my area, the dealers will offer a cash discount. Some of the prices were reasonable. Sales tax still diminishes the bargain (plus the entry & parking fee), and you would be doing well not to overpay. The selection is what it's about. Being able to find/see/handle a gun that you might otherwise not see in your local dealer's store and purchase it is why you go to a gun show.

At the very least, you can handle some guns and see which ones might be going on your wish list.
Old November 12, 2012, 09:22 AM   #19
baddarryl

I like to hit gun shows to fondle a lot of different guns, find what I like, then either find it in town or have a local dealer order it. I like the support of the LGS' too. At least around here the one gun show that hits town twice a year always has the same dealers and several are from this area anyway. I do get ammo there sometimes though.
Old November 14, 2012, 12:32 PM   #20
Gen3Glock22

There shouldn't be any more gen 4 Glock 19 with the issues. it's one of the popular guns in the 9 mm. My cousin local dealer wouldnt order any thing gen 4 when They first came out. That guns sells for 528.00 by him in the FDE, gen 3.

With the extra mag you get with the gen 4 your local dealers don't seem out of hand in their price. Gen 4 comes with 3 mags, gen 3, two.

http://www.skunkriverarms.com/_2_G19_FDE_9mm.JPG
Old November 15, 2012, 05:09 PM   #21
mhuxtable

Seems gun show prices on new guns are a good bit higher than you'd find at a LGS. You may find a deal on used stuff, but as far as new, you'd probably be better off shopping local.
Old November 15, 2012, 07:30 PM   #22
ClydeFrog

world wide web....

I'd use a few online sources like www.JGsales.com www.gunsamerica.com www.gilbertsguns.com www.cheaperthandirt.com .

Compare prices & shop around. I'd bought 3 pistols from GunsAmerica.com. They offer a lot & are free to join.

Clyde
Old November 16, 2012, 03:08 AM   #23
stickhauler

Our local version, Bill Goodman's, who travels around the Mid-West, usually the vendors prices are higher than local gun shops. I agree with an earlier post, find a good local shop. Build up a relationship with them. You'll find that after you do so, you can usually get them to sell at prices at or near on-line sellers. AND, if something is wrong with the firearm you buy, they'll stand behind what you bought.

If you buy from an on-line vendor, you're still going to have to get the firearm sent into an FFL in your state.