The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 30, 2009, 10:34 AM   #1
4T4MAG

Governments Backdoor To Gun Control!

Finally, Here in Utah a Congressional District Rep is trying to pass a bill that would mandate that the Department of Defense must sell the once fired or used brass rather than destroy it. It seems the way to have a backdoor way of gun control is to limit ammo. I hope this bill gains support.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=6322396

Last edited by 4T4MAG; April 30, 2009 at 04:06 PM.
Old April 30, 2009, 10:40 AM   #2
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

Pass the spam, although very well disguised....
Old April 30, 2009, 02:28 PM   #3
Don H

This is the correct link to the story: http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=6322396

Quote:
Chaffetz bill targets DOD over sales of used shell casings
April 30, 2009

WASHINGTON D.C. - Utah's 3rd Congressional District Rep. Jason Chaffetz is upset because he thinks the government found a back-door method of gun control.

He contends instead of restricting guns, the federal government targeted bullets.

Usually the Department of Defense sells more than 100 million used shell casings a year to companies that reload them and sell them to the public. But in March, the D.O.D. announced it was going to destroy the casings.

Chaffetz says that move would take millions of bullets off the market.

"That, to me, is a back-door way of gun control. They were trying to drive up the price of ammunition thinking there would be less ammunition sold," he said.

Four days later, a press release basically offered a retraction. It said, "Upon review, the Defense Logistics Agency has determined the cartridge cases could be appropriately placed in a category of government property allowing for their release for sale."

According to the Daily Herald, munitions makers say it was the Obama administration bowing to the public outcry.

Chaffetz now is introducing legislation to keep the casings coming. The Herald reports the measure would say: "The Secretary of Defense may not implement any policy that would prevent or place undue restriction on the continued sale of intact spent military brass ammunition casings to domestic manufacturers of small arms ammunition."
Old April 30, 2009, 04:04 PM   #4
4T4MAG

Sorry for the mis type in the link. Tis not my intention to post spam.
Old April 30, 2009, 09:31 PM   #5
crowbeaner

It seems to this neophyte reprobate that with an 11 TRILLION DOLLAR national debt that the government should sell everything they can to those of us that have a few pennies of usable spending money left.
Old May 8, 2009, 02:46 PM   #6
Te Anau

BTTT
Old May 9, 2009, 07:38 AM   #7
apr1775

Thankfully the order was resinded about a week later. In all this government hype about going "green", they'd do away with the ultimate recycling program. Other than getting the casings from a military shooting range to my reloading bench, there is no "carbon footprint". Just a minimum amount of processing, which my arm provides the power to work the press, the case gets recycled numerous times. Shredding and smelting the cases consumes way more energy.

Companies such as Georgia Arms make much of their business from reloading military casings, and during a time of high unemployment, why put more people out of work?