The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 3, 2008, 02:53 PM   #1
ringworm

What makes the biggest difference

Whats going to make the biggest difference...
a .2 grain weight variation in the powder or
a 6 grain weight variation in the brass?
Old September 3, 2008, 03:36 PM   #2
Archie

A matter of percentage.

How much does the entire powder charge weigh?

How much does the entire case weigh?

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old September 3, 2008, 06:37 PM   #3
BigJimP

when you say "brass" I'm assuming you mean the weight of the case .... but there is no impact on performance from the weight of the case in a reload. I mix and match head stamp brands on cases all the time in my pistol reloads with no impact on performance.

But like other response - you need to clarify what you're talking about / 0.2 grain variation in powder - what caliber, what powder, what is your target load you're trying to get for a powder drop, and what is the minimum and maximum load in the book.

If by weight of brass - you mean the bullet ... What bullet, what caliber, what grain bullet. a 6 grain variation in a 230 gr RN bullet is only 3% but its more than I would like. A 6 grain variation in a 124 grain bullet is 5% and that is way too much tolerance. Too much variation in the bullet is an indication of quality control.
Old September 4, 2008, 06:40 AM   #4
ringworm

i mean variation in weight of brass case. when trimmed my federal match brass has, what i think, a pretty broad variation. if the brass is the same length then the heavier weight must be thicker. that would certainly effect pressure.
Old September 4, 2008, 07:05 AM   #5
Nnobby45

The case weight variation effects case capacity and therefore burning rate of powder.

The .02 gr. variation in powder charge is considerably better than factory standard, where 1/2 gr. variations can occur.

Your case variation example would be a 3% (within factory standard) variation and sorting your brass can easily get you into 1.5 gr. tolerence + or - from avg. I'm using an '06 case for an example.

In an '06 case, it would take 1/2 gr. variations in powder charge, or more before you could, maybe, see it on paper--- if you were a good shooter-- using an accurate hunting rifle. That's 1/2 gr. variations from average,which means there could be a full gr. difference in the extreme.

In a .223, the .2 gr. pwd. charge variation wouldn't be noticed, but the 6 gr. case variation would be too extreme, if even possible. Better to go % of average with 3% being ok, and within 1% a little too strict and unnecessary--- unless you're a benchrest kind of guy.

Handloaders don't have to put up with those variations. You can sort/weigh your brass to better than facory standard and load powder charges dead on the money if you weigh your charges.

I assume you're talking about rifle loading, but even if loading for pistol with those kind of variations, you wouldn't have match ammo, but you'd be ok for serious practice.