The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 24, 2007, 10:43 AM   #1
PTS1

Good units in Colorado

I am looking into getting a leftover license for elk in colorado. Does any one know which units are good hunting or which units to stay away from. Never been to Colorado so any advise is appreciated.
Old August 25, 2007, 04:59 PM   #2
Zombie Steve

I've always gone to 2 or 201, but I'm pretty sure all you'll find is private land there. For what it's worth, they are good areas / near Craig.
Old August 26, 2007, 05:08 PM   #3
taylorce1

Go to the Colorado DOW's web site, you will find out what leftover tags are available. It will say as well if they are private land only tags or public lands. There are a lot of leftover tags available in the Craig Meeker area as that is the largest concentration of elk in the State.

I hunted the Craig and Meeker area last year, doubt I'll ever do it again. Too many hunters, I was always running into orange, the elk were not comming buy so decided to move and couldn't go 100 yards in any direction and not run into another hunter. I probably would have filled my tags though if there hadn't been some other problems with that hunt as well, and had to come down out of the mountains due to an injury in the hunting party.
Old August 26, 2007, 06:06 PM   #4
Gbro

I agree with taylor..

I hunted over the counter my 1st time, and that was it for me. TOO MANY PEOPLE.
The limited hunts are the way to go, but the DOW is adding to those units too(I believe). The last time out i ran into way more hunters than in the previous 4 hunts put together. Still better than cover the counter unless you are hunting private property.

You will just have to chance one and see, I wouldn't post an area that i think is good on a forum. I also wouldn't steer you to a bad area either.
The surveys the DOW uses are published in outdoor Colorado, Use them how you will as i have never had any luck with them.
The surveys are random and i have never been called.
Old August 28, 2007, 10:02 PM   #5
Brian429

To those guys who are running into hunters everywhere, I'm assuming your talking about rifle seasons? Next year I'm looking into doing a hunt in the White River area but I'll probably be taking either my bow or muzzleloader.