The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 26, 2002, 10:06 AM   #1
norielX

What I've learned from this forum...

I've been reading this forum for the past couple of years, and I finally got a shotgun this month (which was followed by two more shotguns a couple of weeks later).

I've got to commend you guys on the useful info you've posted regarding form, shotgun recommendations, ammo, and practice! I've practiced and applied Dave McC's recommendations of form, and I must say that my first day out firing my Nova and 870 were relatively pain free. I shot around 100 rounds that day, and I feel like I can up the count to 200 the next time. It sure does help when you start out with 7/8 oz walmart stuff! I have no flinch, and have no problem creating huge holes on the paper.

I used to be a handgun guy, but I've found the perfect one for me, the 1911. Now I'm just buying SG's like crazy! These shotguns are the most addicting thing! I can't have enough!
Old April 26, 2002, 01:19 PM   #2
wm1300defender

AGREED

Agreed- A 12 Gauge pump action is a pleasure to shoot, I enjoy it, no matter what the brand is.
The 12 Gauge Pump is ideal for home defense, if loaded properly, you don't have to worry about accidentally killing a neighbor a mile down the road, or over in the next neighborhood.

Now go out and bury one underground----just in case-----, and have at least one at home at the ready.
StevieB.
Old April 26, 2002, 05:28 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Thanks, it's nice to know I'm part of something good. This is a great forum.

A suggestion...

Stick to ONE shotgun until you have the "Chops" down. Then you can mess with others.

I've an opinion that when one selects a GP shotgun,one should stick to same. It could save someone from fumbling in the wrong place for a safety or slide release at a terribly bad time.

It's one of the reasons I have 4 870s in 12 gauge, set up for everything from trap to emergencies.