The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 17, 2002, 10:15 PM   #1
danm

Please help me pick a shotgun to buy.

Until this weekend I had two shotguns, a Rem 870 HD for it's intended purpose, and a Winchester semi-automatic for playing with clay targets.

I gave the Winchester away, and was happy to do so. I reunited a man with his dead father's shotgun, and likely his long dead grandfather's shotgun. His appreciation made it all worthwhile. He is a good brother in law and friend.

Now I want to replace the Winchester. And need to collect some opinions. I think this is the right place...

I prefer another semi-automatic, 12 gauge, and would like to keep the price in the $800 or under range. Used would be OK, but it would have to be in perfect shape (I want my son and grandsons(?) to cherish it someday). It should be OK for any clay type of shooting I may play with, but I do understand it can't be 'perfect' for any of the clay games. I don't hunt any more, but don't rule out the future possibility.

What say you?

Thanks,
DanM

Edited to add that I did read this whole forum before posting, and came away with the impression that the Beretta 391 might be one of the most highly regarded semi-automatics. However the only Beretta dealer in town happens to be the MSRP + 10% place (every town has one, right?)

Last edited by danm; April 17, 2002 at 10:36 PM.
Old April 18, 2002, 04:36 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

My hat's off to you, Dan. That was a generous and selfless gift you gave. Kudos....

The Berettas are, by those that know, considered the best thing out there. Walmart's 390 variant goes for a tad over $500, and should provide an heirloom for the next couple of generations.

Next up would be the 1100 and 11-87 autos from Remington. Not quite as durable at the Berettas, but still capable of long service. Unless you're a dedicated high volume shotgunner, a few new parts and some PM will ensure that these will outlast you and maybe a few more generations.

HTH...
Old April 18, 2002, 08:19 AM   #3
dw

I just bought a Beretta Urika al 391 from galyann's for 749. And had i know if i was a card holder i would have got a coupon in the mail for 10 percent of any firearm. Didnt' find out til later. Either way great gun. Mine has a composite stock and 28in barrels. Just my 2 cents
derek
Old April 18, 2002, 08:42 AM   #4
CMichael

A Browning or Benelli?

Michael
Old April 18, 2002, 11:19 AM   #5
ENC

I absolutley love my 11-87.

The beretta seems too small to me.
Old April 18, 2002, 11:37 AM   #6
Badger Arms

Browning or Remington. Both make excellent mid-grade shotguns. If you'd like to hand it down, I'd stick with either of these two. If you can, go with a recognized name and model like the 1100 or the Auto-5. These guns are well proven and smiths know and will probably always know what to do if they ever need work. I'd limit yourself to all steel. If you happen to get rust or ever decide to refinish, Aluminum is hard to do. Benelli and Beretta make some pretty good shotguns, but they don't ring the nastalgia bell like a good hump-backed Browning does. Of course, that means a used gun but theres 100's of thousands of these.
Old April 18, 2002, 12:18 PM   #7
PJR

I've owned both a Beretta 390 and an 11/87 Sporting Clays (much the same as the current 1100) and I would recommend both of them. I've also shot with a borrowed Beretta 391 and were I in the market for a semi auto this would be my first choice with the very similar 390 as second.

The Browning Gold doesn't do much for me in the handling department and while the Benelli's are excellent waterfowl guns, the recoil action makes them, and the now out-of-production Auto 5, less suitable for clay targets. The Auto 5 and the Benelli are very rarely seen on the clay courses.
Old April 18, 2002, 04:07 PM   #8
danm

Thanks guys. Keep em coming. Wow, if WallyWorld has Berettas that means I gotta get out more often. Would this be a non-standard model made especially for WalMart to sell cheaply? If so, do I care?

DanM
Old April 18, 2002, 05:13 PM   #9
K80Geoff

Then of course, if you can find one, the venerable Winchester super X is a great gun. (Not to be confused with the current super X2)
Old April 18, 2002, 06:23 PM   #10
klh8

Hey danm.I got me a wally-world beretta 390.Do take a look at.I believe you will probably take it home.
Old April 18, 2002, 06:24 PM   #11
dw

Danm,
I work for Wal-Mart and these are not specially made guns for wal-mart. You can buy almost anything you want form wal-mart. Just ask them to see there special order book and you will find anything. The 390 for $529that everyone is referring too should be on the shelf already along with an 11-87 premier for $599. Has anyone seen the remington 1100 sam walton specails??? They were originally made for associates only but now are available to the public. Just curious
derek
Old April 18, 2002, 06:39 PM   #12
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

DW, are the 1100s still available? What's the price? Thanks...
Old April 18, 2002, 06:39 PM   #13
Schmit
Staff Alumnus

I'm with Dave on this on... Beretta 1201. Have had one since the early 90s. LOVE. Everyone who has every shot it has fell in love... BUT SHE'S MINE IT TELL YA... MINE!!

"Notoriety is fleeting,
Anonymity is forever!"
Old April 18, 2002, 09:48 PM   #14
dw

Dave yeah the sam walton's are still available. I know my store is sitting on a 12, two 20's and a 28 ga. And from what i have heard there were only so many made but they havent stop anyone from ordering them yet...i believe the price to be 679 but i will have to check to make sure.
derek
Old April 18, 2002, 10:03 PM   #15
Remmy

I have a Beretta al 390 and a remington 870...i would recommend the 390 in a heartbeat, its great for sporting clays etc. The newer 391 would be the updated version so i guess that would be the one to get...
Old April 19, 2002, 04:36 AM   #16
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

DW,thanks, but I'm not sure we're talking about the same 1100 deal. Last year Walmart had a special on 1100s. These were 1100 "Expresses". They had matte finishes,synthetic furniture,12 gauge only ,came with one choke tube and were discounted at $328. A long thread here showed lots of TFLers taking advantage of this deal. I thought perhaps from your post that they were still available.
Old April 19, 2002, 08:02 AM   #17
dw

Yeah we are talking about two different guns. The ones i am talking about are limited edition guns engraved with a pic of sam walton and his signature. Haven't seen or heard anything about an express 1100 but i'll keep my ears open.
dw
Old April 19, 2002, 01:32 PM   #18
danm

Great info guys. Thanks again.

The mention of a Beretta model 1201 had me digging
through my Shooter's Bible's etc. Nice. But not
what I need right now. I have been unable to
find the distinctions, the differences, between the Beretta 390 and 391. Anyone have that information, or a URL.

Thanks
DanM
Old April 19, 2002, 04:16 PM   #19
Traveling Man

To DanM,

As the person who was on the receiving end of your gift for the Winchester Model 50 I want to tell you how truely grateful I am for it. You are a very generous and kind man, no matter what my sister says about you. Thanks again.
Old April 19, 2002, 10:11 PM   #20
Badger Arms

391 Field Guns
Here's a 390 page.
Old April 20, 2002, 07:48 PM   #21
Blackhorse

Beretta 686 onyx, beautiful gun, got mine NIB or right at 800.
Old April 28, 2002, 06:12 AM   #22
houndpup

Benelli/Franchi/Stoeger Best in the World

You will never forgive yourself if you don't at least go to www.benelliusa.com www.franchiusa.com and last but
not least www.stoegerindustries.com These three sites should open your eyes to a firearm worthy of a man of your charactor(sorry, can't spell today). For $750.00 you could have yourself a Franchi Model 612 with a satin walnut stock. I know that you said 800.00 was the most you wanted to spend but for just a few bucks more ($180.00) you could have the incredeiblely beatiful Benelli: Montefeltro or the time and again proven M1 Field. If you want a high quality autoloader at a great price check out the Stoeger Model 2000/ 2000 Deluxe. At just $499.00 for the 2000 and $620.00 for the Deluxe, you get a gun that will put a smile on your face every time you pick it up and go shooting. Stoeger and Franchi are both part of the Benelli group from Accokeek, MD.
Betwen my brother and myself we have two benelli Novas one M1 Field. My brother also uses a M1 Tactical as his choice as his Duty Shotgun, as well as HD. I tell you this, you can't go wrong with any of the above mentioned weapons. And you won't be like everyone else who went to Walley World to get his everyday off the shelf scatter gun. A true beliver in quality not quantity. Sorry, to Wal-Mart, I could not survive with out you and ment no disrespect. So, take a sec and log on and see what I'm going on so much about. Enjoy your search for your next family airloom.
Old April 28, 2002, 03:57 PM   #23
Drundel

Yo will be happy with a Beretta 391. I have an A5, 2-1100, a 390, and a 391. The 391 is the softest shooter by far, a great gun for doves and clays.

Texas A&M University
Proud member of the Fighting Class of '00