The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 25, 2002, 04:37 AM   #1
Stalker

12ga. shotgun for competition/defense

I'm looking for a 12ga. shotgun for competition & home defense. what brands & models do you guys recommend? thanks in advance!
Old April 25, 2002, 06:07 AM   #2
rusher

I bought a Beretta 1201FP which is basically the same design as the bennelli M1 and the cost is about 1/3 to 1/2 of the cost and heck from what I hear the two plants sit right across the street from each other ....or are they next door from each other....who cares.....

The 1201FP I have is great for home defense cuz unless I'm sho veling rounds packed with dirt rather than powder I dont have a problem.

Now as far as competion are you talking skeet or a 3 gun type of shooting?

Rusher
Old April 25, 2002, 09:49 AM   #3
norielX

I usually search before I post a new thread. I can go for weeks just searching on topics! As for competition shotguns, I really have no idea if you're talking about clay games. Three gun matches usually feature the Remington 1100 or 11-87, Benelli M1, and various pumps. Just do a search, some of these guys get pretty specific in their gun setups, too.
Old April 25, 2002, 08:51 PM   #4
Stalker

Thanks for the replies! keep 'em comming! Im talkin' about 3 gun matches.
Old April 25, 2002, 09:11 PM   #5
HKguy9

Stalker, depends on your budget. If you have $1000, get a semi-auto. They may not be as 'mechanically reliable' (pumps less likely to jam) but they may be more 'user friendly' (i.e. you may shortstroke a pump under stress).

If you only have $500 or less to spend, I would invest in a pump. I find pumps faster to load for the competitions (less springs and things in the way), but semi-autos faster (obviously) to shoot.
Old April 26, 2002, 09:58 AM   #6
norielX

Stalker, I see you're in the PI...

My dad is planning on geting some land there, and I was just curious on what the gun laws are like there (basically what's legal to own), where he can get a handgun/longarm, and if there are any gun shows over there?

What are the prices over there? I like the Remington 1100 ( I have one) because it's softer recoiling than the benelli's, and that helps when you're trying to get others into shotgunning.
Old April 26, 2002, 08:45 PM   #7
Mannlicher

I have always like the old single barrel 12 ga shotguns. you can reload them quickly, by holding extra shells between your fingers or gums.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan