The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 10, 2013, 12:39 AM   #1
sirdiealot

small pistol primers

yes i know its prob been asked and asked but just got into reloading and was wondering where a person can find small pistol primers, and what is a fair price for them pre panic.
thanks
bob

...Wildly popular all over the world, mostly in countries where people don’t carry guns, and cops don’t have to actually shoot people with theirs.
Old February 10, 2013, 12:49 AM   #2
j357

Pre panic doesn't really matter at this point, but .04@ for less than 1k and $28 per 1k would be a fair price at LGS around here in the early fall 2012. Suggest you look at local gun shows and sign up for alerts on supplier websites of your choice today. You may be waiting for a month or more even if you can back order.
In the 'free market' today you could pay up to $60 per 1K.
Old February 10, 2013, 12:54 AM   #3
ScottRiqui

Around here, I was paying $31/1000 + tax last Fall. That's the same as what they cost me from Powder Valley if I order 5k at a time to dilute the HAZMAT shipping fee.
Old February 10, 2013, 02:23 AM   #4
sirdiealot

ok so at lgs 50 would be fair....luckily i can still buy 45acp and 40sw already loaded and i need the brass anyway so not a great big deal that i cant find the small primers...just wanted to make sure i wouldnt get taken or miss a good deal if i find some.
will it be alright to shoot lead through a 1911 or should i get copper coated bullets. also same question on a s&w sw40ve
thanks guys i love this forum

...Wildly popular all over the world, mostly in countries where people don’t carry guns, and cops don’t have to actually shoot people with theirs.
Old February 10, 2013, 03:58 AM   #5
david_r

Natchess got some in yesterday and as of 00:55 Pacific, they still have some. They will probably be sold out by the time you read this. They are limiting to two boxes per order which is great for people wanting to get some but sucks for the hazmat fee. Maybe you'll get lucky and they will still have some when you read this.
Old February 10, 2013, 08:30 AM   #6
Misssissippi Dave

Locally the price of primers was $30 per 1k about 6 months ago. Now it is $40 per 1k. I guess it depends on how much you need them and where you live as to the price you will have to pay.

I prefer Jacketed bullets for pistol ammo. It is easier to get the crimp right and you don't have to worry so much about getting the barrel slugged to make certain you get the right size lead bullet for them.
Old February 10, 2013, 02:06 PM   #7
billcarey

The way things are going, $50 per 1000 may be a good deal in many locations around the couintry. I just came back from a gun show in Florida and there was only one 1000 box of large pistol primers available...for $80! Virtually no powder available either, except for a few odd cans from private sellers. I spoke with a company that makes cast bullets and sells all the other components. They said deliveries are scarce and when they come the supply is very short.

bc
Old February 10, 2013, 02:29 PM   #8
hounddawg

Natchez has CCI 500's on stock for 35 per 1K today. I expect Powder Valley, Midway, Grafs etc won't be too far behind on getting them instock

the largest of my neighborhood shops has never ran out of small pistols but Wolf were all they had at one time, they even had small rifle the last time I was there. Their prices are about $10 a K higher than online but that is the way they always are. Unless I was down to my last 50 primers no way I would overpay. I gotta feeling the price gougers are going to be sitting on a lot of primers in a month or so and I hope they end up losing money. If someone tried to sell me a box of primer for 50 bucks I would laugh in their face
Old February 10, 2013, 03:48 PM   #9
sirdiealot

cool, right now the only supplies i have are 1000 large pistol primers about 1/4lb powder and 150 pieces of brass for each caliber, so i need to buy brass anyway so will prob just buy factory ammo till i get to around 500rds each unless i find some brass for sale. have never actually loaded a round in my life but have all the stuff right now to load about (heres where you laugh at me) 20 rds of 45acp. but i have been taking it slow, reading, reading, watching youtube videos, reading again. want to do this right as most of the times when i shoot my 2 kids ages 6 yr old boy and 9yr old girl are with me out in the middle of nowhere. and i dont want anything to happen to me shooting bad ammo and the kids cant help or have something odd happen and instead of me the shooter of the reload one of the kids get hurt.
so i might me over paranoid or carefull but want everyone to have fun and no injuries