The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 13, 2010, 12:27 AM   #1
stegmaier

Saiga 12 question

Just purchased a Saiga 12, anyone know how to install the gas piston in the thing, I read the manual and it discribes a 1 or a 2 position, but no other info at all, unless I'm missing it. when I bought the gun the shop owner said it was ready to go, but when I got home and opened the box their was this piece rolling around in the box that looks like it could be a gas piston. This is the first automatic weapon that I've ever bought, I'm usually a SXS and single shot rifle shooter, unless you count a 10/22 my wife got me for christmas around 20 years ago. I would hate to fire the Saiga if that is the piston and it should be installed in the gun.....................stegmaier
Old August 13, 2010, 04:34 AM   #2
rjrivero

Saiga

The gas piston looks like a flat disk. This is what a standard piston looks like.

In order to check your piston, you need to remove the gas plug. That's the disk with the 1 and 2 on it. Position 1 is for high brass rounds, including slugs and buckshot. Position 2 is for low brass or bird shot.

You want to push down the locking detent, and turn the gas plug to the appropriate setting. You remove the gas plug by holding the detent down and unscrewing the plug.

Put the gun barrel down and the gas plug *should* fall out. The stock plug is symmetrical and can go in either way.

The gas plug you found in the box may indeed be the original gas plug. A lot of folks will switch out the gas plug and the muzzle break to items that are made in the USA in order to bring the gun into compliance with 922(r) so they can use high capacity magazines in them.

Technically, the Saiga is a SEMI-Automatic shotgun. Enjoy shooting it. I have a blast with mine.....sorry about the bad pun.

Hope this helps.

RJ

PS. You need to be careful with that Saiga. You'll find out that "Saiga" is Russian for "Starter Kit."

Last edited by rjrivero; August 13, 2010 at 04:43 AM.
Old August 13, 2010, 11:45 AM   #3
tcox4freedom

Good instructions RJ-

You may want to check out the Saiga Forum. You can find a BUNCH of good stuff there to help you out.
Old August 13, 2010, 12:43 PM   #4
stegmaier

Thanks for the help guys, turns out it was a tool kit that was included with the weapon, DUH, well I never claimed to be smart, and I didn't figure out how to open the tool kit yet, but I do appreciate the help thanks again........stegmaier