The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old November 13, 1999, 06:06 PM   #1
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

(note: All praise to Cornered Rat for the thread title.)

This morning, I took my friend Maureen to the range. She wanted to practice with her .410, and she wanted some exposure to heavier stuff.

Maureen had never fired a handgun or a 12-gauge before today.

Before we left, I drilled her (get your minds outta the gutter!) on the 4 Rules and the fundamentals. When you see the pix, you'll agree she's got stance and grip down perfectly.

When we got to the range, the RO's eyes bugged out and his jaw dropped. He doesn't get to see women like her often.

We set up a TQ19 silhouette and backed up to 10 feet. She got in a few shots with her peashooter and made that target *hurt*... then she fired a handgun for the first time in her life... my Glock 20C.

I fired it first so she could get an idea of how it would sound. She was a little nervous on the first shot, then got a HUGE grin. She told me when we got back that she sort of expected to literally get knocked on her arse. When it didn't happen - when she realized that she had her own handheld thunderstorm - all her nervousness and apprehension vanished.

The girl had no flinch or anticipation with full-house 10mm. Her trigger and breath control were flawless. With one all-too-brief session at the range, she shoots better than some old-timers. We would have stayed until dark, but she wanted to go to the symphony (my G*d, she's cultured as well!).

A gorgeous, armed, libertarian woman. And she's one of my best friends. I truly am lucky.
http://www.users.uswest.net/~coinneach/maureen2.jpg http://www.users.uswest.net/~coinneach/maureen3.jpg http://www.users.uswest.net/~coinneach/maureen4.jpg http://www.users.uswest.net/~coinneach/maureen5.jpg http://www.users.uswest.net/~coinneach/maureen6.jpg http://www.users.uswest.net/~coinneach/maureen7.jpg
------------------
"The right of no person to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person and property,
or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall be called in question.."
Article 11, Section 13, CO state constitution.
----------
Coinneach, CO CAN Operator

[This message has been edited by Coinneach (edited November 13, 1999).]
Old November 14, 1999, 12:20 AM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

I've taught quite a few women to shoot and it's really a great way to help them feel empowered. They go out, buy a gun, and if a BG tries something, too bad for the BG.

The Second Amendment - not just for men!

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Old November 14, 1999, 06:39 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Propose marriage ASAP(G)....
Old November 14, 1999, 06:56 AM   #4
Bulldog

Great job, Coinneach.

When are you gonna start her on the AR15?

[This message has been edited by Bulldog (edited November 14, 1999).]
Old November 14, 1999, 11:35 AM   #5
Patrick Seeber

Great Smile, Great Proportions, Likes to shoot? And she is one of your best friends?

Time to get busy, my friend...

You gonna invite your friends at TFL to the wedding???
Old November 14, 1999, 02:21 PM   #6
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

Bulldog, as soon as I get one.

Sorry, guys, but I don't think a loooong-term relationship is in the offing (damn the luck).

------------------
"The right of no person to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person and property,
or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall be called in question.."
----------

Old November 14, 1999, 03:16 PM   #7
Patrick Seeber

Hey Coinneach,

Remember, you ain't dead yet - Life is dynamic...

Zat really red hair? Perhaps it's a blessing in disguise... (grin) They can be FIREY! (LOL)

Best of Luck.
Old November 14, 1999, 05:13 PM   #8
damiano

Then invite us out there and we'll see if we can win her heart. Redheads make my head spin.

Old November 14, 1999, 05:31 PM   #9
boing

What? No pictures of you?
Old November 14, 1999, 06:20 PM   #10
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

Yup, really (*really*) red hair. Damiano, I'm right there with ya...

boing, don't make me question your masculinity .

Oh, all right... here's some pix of me at home. SAFETY DISCLAIMER: The camera was set up in front of a heavy steel plate and set on a timer. The guns were unloaded. At no time was my finger on the trigger. No animals were harmed in the making of this post.
http://www.users.uswest.net/~coinneach/me-n-glock.jpg
http://www.users.uswest.net/~coinnea...n-mossberg.jpg

------------------
----------

Old November 14, 1999, 09:57 PM   #11
boing

Eeeewwww....
Old November 15, 1999, 08:35 AM   #12
DAL

A true vision of loveliness. I'm speaking of the lady, of course--ha!

BTW Coinneach, were those range pictures taken out at Dragon Man's range?
DAL

------------------
Reading "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal," by Ayn Rand, should be required of every politician and in every high school.
Old November 15, 1999, 10:41 AM   #13
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

DAL, they were taken at Cactus Flats in Penrose. Dragon Man... feh. Last time I went there, there were a coupla bangers (blue doo-rags, strappy t-shirts, jeans 5 sizes too big hanging 3/4 of the way down their arses) blasting away with the obligatory AKs. Howard at CF wouldn't have let them get set up before chasing them off. 45 minute drive to Penrose, but it's worth it... very quiet, out-of-the-way place, $5 per day, and good company.

------------------
----------

Old November 15, 1999, 09:53 PM   #14
Futo Inu

"she wanted some exposure to heavier stuff."

Well, I hope you're proud of yourself, Coin, for leading her down that road. See, that's how it all starts - a .22 here, a .410 there, next thing you know she's on the hard stuff - 10mm!

Coin, seriously, now what's the hangup here, man? She's looking pretty good from where I sit. She's a shooter? And a real redhead? Yowsa. Hot tamales. Maybe I'll come visit my uncle in CO Sprgs, and you can introduce us....
Old November 16, 1999, 02:42 AM   #15
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Well done.
Well done indeed.

Very nice.

I think she could get a better grip on the pistol if her support hand was a little higher... I didnt make out a wedding ring either...

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Old November 16, 1999, 11:53 AM   #16
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

Futo, the way I see it, the .410 was a gateway gun... kinda like cough syrup leads to heroin.

George, we'll work on that grip next time. She was doing so well that I didn't want to change anything.

You guys should see the fan club she has going over on GT.

------------------
or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall be called into question.."
Old November 17, 1999, 02:46 AM   #17
Long Path

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>"We would have stayed until dark, but she wanted to go to the symphony (my G*d, she's cultured as well!).

A gorgeous, armed, libertarian woman. And she's one of my best friends. I truly am lucky.[/quote]

Nope. Nuh uh! I have NEVER been so very glad NOT to have such a friend as that!
My marriage is too important to have my wife furious at me for mooning over my "friend."! Heavens. There are things I didn't get a chance to get out of my system before I put that gold on my fourth left, and red hair was one of them...

I particularly like 6 and 7. And Coin? Stay behind the digital camera from now on, 'kay?

Best,
L.P.

------------------
Will you, too, be one who stands in the gap?

Matt

Old November 17, 1999, 01:27 PM   #18
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

My marriage is too important to have my wife furious at me for mooning over my "friend."!

Remind me to not get married then.

Stay behind the digital camera from now on, 'kay?

Roger that.

------------------
or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall be called into question.."
Old November 17, 1999, 08:10 PM   #19
Beano

Hi Coin, HI MAUREEN,

Was in Co Springs in '92, shot at The OTC Ranges on Fort Carson. Saw some tanks and an Apache (helo) or two but never anything like that. What did you say her number was?

Shotgun grip and stance need some work, although not bad at all for a Rank Beginner. I like the fact that even if she felt apprehension, she didn't show it. Loads of potential there. Weight distribution is biased too much to the left leg which, in turn, brings the hips too far forward. This, in turn, requires the torso to be slightly too "side on" to the target. She needs to be "squarer on". If the right stance is achieved, she will be more comfortable and will progress on to moving targets more easily. I've no doubt that she is blasting the fixed targets with no problems.

The shotgun has a field grip which she is holding too high. This does not allow trigger pull to be straight back, parallel to the top of the barrels. What will happen is that every now and again, she will jerk the trigger and gun upwards causing a miss over the top.

By the way, what is that thing she's holding (the .410)? It doesn't suit her at all. It's too short and looks like it may have too much drop. Hope it's a gateway gun and that she'll move on to a real gun soon. Make sure her next shotgun is a better fit and has a full pistol grip (it helps beginners a lot).

Start her on some clays, i.e. moving targets, and see what happens. Insist that she start "gun down". That way she can practise and develop her mount (gun mount, that is).

Must admit, Coin, you're a lucky man.

ENJOY SHOTGUNNING and try ISSF Skeet.
Old November 17, 1999, 10:46 PM   #20
Mal H
Staff

So Beano, now give us a critique of the Mona Lisa.

(Just kidding, of course. But you must have been looking at different pictures than I was, I saw absolutely nothing wrong with her form. )