The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 27, 2013, 03:04 PM   #1
j.chappell

T/C Scout Rifle

I need a little help. I recently acquired a T/C Scout Rifle in 54cal. I took it to the range yesterday and with the first shot I had powder blow back into my face.

The rifle had been completely cleaned prior to this shooting session. I used 90gr of FF powder, 54cal sabot with appropriate sized 45cal bullet and cci no.11caps. Upon firing I felt something hit my face. I looked in the mirror of my pickup and noticed that it was un-burnt powder. Also the cap had all but been blown apart from firing.

Can anyone tell me what might be going on?

Thanks,

J.
Old December 27, 2013, 05:15 PM   #2
Chestnut Forge

Try replacing the nipple. My Hawken did the same thing when I got it. It re-cocked when fired and blew cap fragments and powder in my face.
Old December 27, 2013, 07:11 PM   #3
Pahoo

Look at the side-vents

I have been wondering when someone was going to post on the TC Scout. ..
Have you noticed the side-vents on the frame. They are slanted, forward and outward and suspect that this is where you are getting the blow-back from. For this M/L, this is normal but a turn-off for some folks. Also, the nipple is special. Although this is technically an In-Line, the flow from the nipple vent does not go straight through to the main chamber. .....

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Catego...UG-TC-SCOUT-11

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; December 27, 2013 at 07:26 PM.
Old December 27, 2013, 07:59 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

Replace the nipple first.

You may have to replace the mainspring too if replacing the nipple doesn't work.

Third thing to do is to reduce the powder charge. How much powder are you using?