The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 8, 2001, 08:38 AM   #1
David Scott

Seems there are two popular methods of anchoring an IWB holster. One is leather loops that go around the belt, the other is the metal spring clip. All the articles and pictures about holsters in the gun mags, and you hardly ever see the "pros" using a spring clipped IWB. I have a High Noon IWB holster with a spring clip that works just fine, so why is there an apparent prejudice against spring clips in the gunny press?
Old February 8, 2001, 09:30 AM   #2
Scott Evans
Staff Alumnus

For a tactical “purest” an enclosed loop is preferred as there is no chance of the holster becoming detached from the belt thus eliminating the possibility of drawing your holster along with your gun. A bad scenario in a life threatening situation. Also many of the clip holsters use a generic size clip that is intended to fit a broad range of belt widths. This allows movement or "slop" if you are wearing a 1.5” belt and your clip is designed to fit up to 2”. After saying all that … a properly designed clip (one that can not inadvertently be pulled off the belt and that also fits your belt) is a useful feature. Just be selective as most clips fall short of this by sacrificing ease of use for security.

MOLON LABE !

I’m a G-CODE holster fan !
www.range5.com
Old February 8, 2001, 10:05 PM   #3
Jim V

More than one "gun pro".....

has said good things about Lou Alessi's TALON clip. It is not a metal clip but some type of plastic, IIRC, that grabs on to the material/belt and hangs on until you want it to let go.