The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 2, 2009, 11:00 PM   #1
fatboy02

Inconsistant crimp dia.

Need some help I could not find a specific answer in the search.

I have reloaded around 1500 .45 round and they have all fired flawlessly in my full size colt 1911 with Heinie barrel. My problem is I just bought a Colt Defender and some of my reloaded JHP and FMJ the crimp is a little off and the gun will not go into battery. It is maybe 1 out of each 7 round mag.

What should I be looking at is it my set up or maybe I am not pulling the lever with consistant pressure?

I noticed it while checking my rounds but it was a very small difference (sorry I am not at home and do not have a caliper handy) and my full size has not had a problem. Any help is appreciated.
Old June 2, 2009, 11:20 PM   #2
bullspotter

Need some more info, is your brass all the same headstamp, i find that loading diff brass will change how tight the crimp is, thicker brass will crrimp tighter sooner then thin, Might be if you have a light crimp on a thicker brass, then get a thin walled brass, it migh not crimp enough to take all the flair out, also your new gun might be slightly tighter then the full size, and that might cause the problem with not enough crimp. Are all the rounds that wont work the same headstamp? what are you crimmping them to? What bullets are you using and what col you have?
Old June 2, 2009, 11:30 PM   #3
Nnobby45

Your newbie mistake was loading a bunch of ammo without using your bbl. as a simple gage. The round should "plop" right in below flush with the bbl. hood, and then fall right out. The correct OAL for HP's is different than for round nose. Use your manual.

When you taper crimp (not roll crimp) the diameter at the case mouth should be just like it is on a factory round.

If you're experiencing one problem per mag, then it sounds like a relatively small adjustment will fix the problem.

A good trick is to back out the crimp die, or stem, and then run a factory round up there so you feel no crimping. Then adjust the die down real snug finger tight so you aren't actually crimping it any more. Size your ammo and make any small adjustments necessary.

TIP: I'd make sure my sized cases are sized properly before I start loading them. Again, use the bbl. as a gage and test a few first.

My HST 230 JHP's I carry measure .471. Either .471 or .472 are fine. Most manuals use .472. For softer lead SWC's, they should measure .468 or .469.

The information you need to make your ammo the right dimensions is right in your manual with re: to OAL and case diameter after crimping.

Range brass of different makes, lengths and brass diameter can have a slight of effect in my experience, but not that much. Check your ammo with your caliper, use your bbl. as a gage, and if the dimensions aren't correct, then run all 1500 rds. thru your crimp die after you properly adjusted it. Then consider that a lesson learned.

Failure to go into battery can also be caused by ammo that is too long and the bullet is engaging the rifling before the slide is closed.

Hard Ball ammo shouldn't exceed 1.270. HP ammo is shorter OAL. Federal HST JHP .45ACP measures 1.230. Factory Harball ammo us normally about 1.260. Sometimes the max OAL listed by the ammo can be too long for some magazines.

Last edited by Nnobby45; June 3, 2009 at 12:04 AM.
Old June 3, 2009, 07:14 AM   #4
fatboy02

I am using mixed range brass but from checking the rounds it is happening to rounds of the same headstamp. The 1500 rounds were not for this colt Defender they were loaded for my full size and have all fired fine.

I travel for a living and found this Colt Defender at a shop near where I was working and bought it I had 200 reloads with me and bought 100 factory rounds to test the gun a local range. I always carry some ammo just in case I find a range near where I am working. All of the factory ammo fired with no issues at all. I really like this compact .45 it is very accurate for a 3" bbl.
Old June 3, 2009, 08:03 AM   #5
wncchester

" The correct OAL for HP's is different than for round nose. Use your manual."

Never mind the manual's OAL, use the weapon. If it feeds from the magazine AND chambers, it's fine. If not, fix it so it does.
Old June 3, 2009, 09:25 AM   #6
Cloudpeak

As Nnobby45 said,
Quote:
Failure to go into battery can also be caused by ammo that is too long and the bullet is engaging the rifling before the slide is closed.
Your Defender may have a shorter chamber or "leade" than your full size. 45 ammo loaded with 200gr SWC's (1.255 +/-" COAL) that worked in my Springfields would not work in my CBOB. The slide would not close. I seated rounds to 1.24" and they feed 100% in the Dan Wesson, now.

Also, you are taper crimping, right?
Old June 3, 2009, 01:21 PM   #7
fatboy02

Yes I am taper crimping. I do not think my problem is AOL because the majority are working fine. but some of the rounds the diameter where the bullet is seated is different some are slightly fatter than others. I will measure it tonight when I get home. I may have asked the question wrong originally but what I am looking for is why would my crimp diameter varry? I am sure it is just something that I am doing but not sure what. My AOL is consistant at

I will reset up my seat/crimp die tonight, thanks for the help so far
Old June 3, 2009, 03:23 PM   #8
drail

Most cases of inconsistent crimp are due to the cases are not the same length. The longer ones get more crimp and the shorter ones get less.
Old June 3, 2009, 04:27 PM   #9
Nnobby45

Quote:
I may have asked the question wrong originally but what I am looking for is why would my crimp diameter varry? I am sure it is just something that I am doing but not sure what. My AOL is consistant at

I will reset up my seat/crimp die tonight, thanks for the help so far
What in the world does AOL .124 mean? Maybe you mean average overall length 1.24.

What you're really looking for is why your ammo doesn't feed.

A Quick review:
If the case is properly sized, the OAL isn't too long, and you've set your crimp die properly, then the ammo will plop in your bbl. and fall right out. Take measurements. That's what the caliper if for. USE THE BBL. AS A GAGE. A rocket scientist one need not be.

Don't worry about a few thousandths variation in OAL. The diameter at the case mouth should not vary by more than .001.

Hardball works fine at from 1.155 to 1.165. The factory makes it that way for a reason, some of which is related to proper seating depth as well as proper feeding. 1.270 is max., but may be too long for some mag.s.

Quote:
Yes I am taper crimping. I do not think my problem is AOL because the majority are working fine.
If ALL of your ammo doesn't work, then something is definately wrong. If you experiment with OAL so that the case is even with the bbl. hood, then you've found the absolute max. OAL, since the bullet is engaging the rifling. Ammo so loaded will touch the rifling even though held by the extractor. Ammo loaded to normal OAL will be held by the extractor and headspace on neither the case rim nor the bullet.

Last edited by Nnobby45; June 3, 2009 at 04:40 PM.
Old June 3, 2009, 09:43 PM   #10
Steviewonder1

Crimp Die Issues??

There is no subsititute for "Chamber Checking" each reloaded round. You can do it one of two ways. Get the barrel you are shooting out of the gun, drop each bullit into it and let it fall out from all the way in with no pressure to go in, or get a Chamber Check Guage (available from several reloading suppliers) and do the same. If it won't drop in and fall out, discard the round. It will cause you problems in your gun.
I chamber check every one of my reloaded rounds since 1995.
Good Luck and Shoot and Reload Safely!!!
Old June 3, 2009, 10:32 PM   #11
Aldadentist

I have used the Lee Factory crimp die for years for 45 ACP to produce a crimp of .469 inches. It gives a very consistent crimp and I have found this crimp to feed in all my 45s. Unless your chamber is undersized this should work. Also check that the feed ramp is polished well and the angle is cut right. I had one that was out of spec once and it would hang up rounds until I sent it back and they redid the feed ramp.
Old June 3, 2009, 11:56 PM   #12
bullspotter

post # 4 Its the same headstamp brass huh??? What is the headstamp on it? A-MERC?????? Take the ones that dont work and measure the crimp and compare to the ones that plop into the gun, their is something a miss about the ones that dont work, need to find it!!
Old June 5, 2009, 09:24 PM   #13
fatboy02

Found the problem!!

Sorry I asked the question without all the information in front of me I was traveling for work.

I adjusted the crimp die to crimp properly I had it set wrong which was causing the inconsistant crimps. I checked with the calipers and the bbl test then re-crimped all of my rounds. I will hit the range this weekend.

Thanks for the help.
Old June 6, 2009, 08:17 PM   #14
fatboy02

FYI

Well the crimp adjustment did it, went to the range today and the Colt Defender ate everything I put in it, Hornandy HP/XTP, SWC, and FMJ. 500 rounds without a hickup.
Old June 8, 2009, 05:06 PM   #15
Nnobby45

Quote:
There is no subsititute for "Chamber Checking" each reloaded round.
Not a bad practice if it works for you. Sometimes I need to load and go shoot. Don't have time to check each round to be used for practice. Now, mind you, that's going back to my machine that's just the way I left after the last batch I shot.

The important thing, especially after just getting set up, is not load a whole bunch of rounds without at least checking the first few. Chamber gage or caliper will accomplish the task.