The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 22, 2009, 08:50 PM   #1
alienbogey

There Are Many NP3'd Pistols.......

.....but this one is mine:

Recently received back from Robar.

Old April 23, 2009, 12:33 AM   #2
l8apex

Looks great, you will notice that the pistol will require a lot less lube now. My 226 has the same finish and has done great over the past 10 years. Yes 10 years ago Robar finished my 226. I will post some pics if I have them, enjoy!
Old April 23, 2009, 01:53 AM   #3
ChicagoTex

Quote:
Yes 10 years ago Robar finished my 226. I will post some pics if I have them, enjoy!
I'd like to see what that looks like now. I understand NP3 is supposed to be one of the most durable finishes around but every gun I've seen with an NP3 finish on it had been recently done. I'd like to see what 10 years of wear looks like.

Good call on refinishing the P7, it's a shame the factory bluing holds up so poorly...
Old April 23, 2009, 06:34 PM   #4
Bond007

Very nice! I keep thinking about sending mine in but then I worry I would miss the black. Guess I'll need to pick up another one then....
Old April 24, 2009, 07:15 AM   #5
FALshootist

I don't have a picture of it, but I've got a 92 or 93 Beretta 92 centurion LEO gun I ordered fron the factory that still looks great.

NP3 is a good finish with excellent lubrication properties. the gun cleans very easy.

However, the finish is bassically nickel impregnated with teflon (its dark gray and not shiny). So its not as hard or corossion resistant as hard chrome.

I'm real happy with the gun and only wish I had ordered it as a G model (decocker only)

Now I carrry Glocks which are even more corrosion resistant and have the same trigger pull every time.

Back to your origional question its a good finish and I think you'll probably like it.
Old April 24, 2009, 09:13 AM   #6
Te Anau

Cost???
Old April 24, 2009, 09:17 AM   #7
Chipperman

Very nice. I'm considering doing my P7M13 when the finish gets worn down a little more.
Old April 24, 2009, 10:31 AM   #8
Dobe

I looks nice. I have been thinking about having one of mine NP3'ed. I hear its really slippery. I have one handgun that I had Black T'ed. It is a nice finish too, but the slide can be a little slippery.
Old April 24, 2009, 11:00 AM   #9
kazanski612

Beautiful! Question about NP3-ing, if that's a term: does it help for corrosion-resistance for those guns we're carrying everyday?

For those guns that don't have a chrome slide (i.e. are "blue"), it seems like the NP3 finish would really help protect them against perspiration. Maybe?
Old April 24, 2009, 11:21 AM   #10
Dobe

Yes, it is corrosion resistant.
Old April 24, 2009, 12:43 PM   #11
alienbogey

Cost was a little over $300 for the complete NP3 and two extra magazines over the one included in the set price, plus $20 charge to mask the P7's barrel because it doesn't disassemble like most semi-auto's.

Also, that price was after a 15% discount that Robar offered in February. They run specials like that several times a year.

A big reason I had it done was for corrosion resistance - it's my warm weather carry piece, very often in a SmartCarry.
Old April 24, 2009, 09:12 PM   #12
JED1177

KIMBER ULTRA CDP in NP3

This NP3 finish is right at 9 years old. Carried everyday and looks like it did the day it was done. To the touch, it feels like it is lubed which contributed greatly to the flawless operation. Hard to explain, but it's not particularly slippery. Maybe the 30 lines per inch on the front strap and the checkered mainspring housing defeat the good vs.bad grip issue.

Old April 24, 2009, 09:14 PM   #13
DarthTedd

Great looking piece!!

Quote:
very often in a SmartCarry
Also, another SmartCarry user ... good times!
Old April 24, 2009, 10:37 PM   #14
ChicagoTex

JED,

Thanks for the pics, I now feel I have a much better handle on just HOW wear-resistant NP3 is... and I think I like it!
Old April 25, 2009, 06:46 PM   #15
Evan-0-Matic

This looks promising...

So...i had no idea that something like this exsisted, haha. I'm pretty new to the gun world, and i was wondering...does the company coat Beretta M9's?
Would it be a good idea to do this to a Beretta in the first place? (just looking for opinions here i suppose)...

I took a look at there website but couldn't find a list of what guns they work on?

Also, does the 'coat' add to the demensions of the gun? Do you still have to lub the rails and such after cleaning?

My Beretta is my duty gun by the way (armored-car driver/ runner) and i've only had the gun for a few weeks now and already it's showing some wear ...so that's why i'm looking into this....thanks guys!
Old April 25, 2009, 06:55 PM   #16
ChicagoTex

Quote:
does the company coat Beretta M9's?
Would it be a good idea to do this to a Beretta in the first place? (just looking for opinions here i suppose)...
Robar will coat anything you want them you want them to.

Quote:
Also, does the 'coat' add to the demensions of the gun? Do you still have to lub the rails and such after cleaning?
The dimensional difference, if any, would be extremely minor, and should not impact performance or fit significantly. While NP3 is a somewhat self-lubricating finish, standard lubrication of your firearm is still required.

The biggest problem you're going to run into is if you send your Beretta in, it's gonna be out of your hands for 2 or 3 weeks. Do you have an alternate duty gun for that time period?

While NP3 is nice, I wouldn't be concerned about finish wear on a duty gun - duty guns tend to get roughed up a bit - as long as it works, who cares?
Old April 26, 2009, 01:01 PM   #17
Evan-0-Matic

indeed...

I might be able to use one of the 'loaner' .38 revolvers we have laying around base. It's what i used my first 4 or five weeks on the job.

I mainly want to get the 'coating' on the slide, barrel, and hammer....since all of them espeacially the hammer...have already shown a ptotential to rust. This is happening because the factory 'bluing' has chipped in a few places (espeacially the hammer) and is now exposed to rain, and sweat.

The frame is doing fine...so i figure i'll get those three pieces and all internals while i'm at it (just to be sure)...i love my Beretta, and really do not want to have to replace it because of rust, haha.

Anyway, It might look pretty sweet too
Old April 26, 2009, 02:25 PM   #18
l8apex

Heres the 226 former EDC. The finish is over a decade old.

Old April 26, 2009, 03:11 PM   #19
Evan-0-Matic

very nice!

That's what i was thinking for my Beretta M9.

Thanks for posting the pic!