The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 11, 2008, 04:11 PM   #1
Pahoo

M/L "stuff" at Wal-Mart.

Interesting to see that our local Super Wal-Mart, is putting M/L componets and rifles on it's shelves. That is in addition to all the other ammo. What a shocker to see Triple-7 for $29.00 a pound. Last year I paid $11.00 at the end of the season and two years ago, paid $8.00. Still carrying Pyrodex as well and glad to see this and sure with they would bring back the breech loaders. Life's not fair ....

Be Safe !!!
Old August 11, 2008, 06:12 PM   #2
fastforty

Our local stores clearanced all of their ML stuff a LONG time ago (a couple years before they quit selling firearms in Kali). Most of the stuff they had that retailed for up to 12-14 bucks was marked down to 1-3 dollars (I've got crates full of bullets, sabots, wads, bore butter, etc etc). Since then, their firearms accessaries have been slowly diminishing but they still maintain a pretty good selection of modern ammo. I'd love to see them stock their sporting goods department the way they do in the other 49 states, but it doesn't look like that will ever happen.

When they pulled long arms off the shelves, they posted a notice that the "issue" would be resolved in 2 weeks. Six months later, the same notice was still posted & they filled the racks with bb guns. Now, no racks remain in stores here The reason it ticked me off so much was that I had eyeballed one of the little Cricket rifles for my (then) 8 y/o daughter. Went back the next day to get it & the store was under Commie Rule (no more guns). WalMart sold those rifles for $99 & they retailed for $179. Bass Pro Shop had them for $220 when we went on vacation that year. I better shut up now, LOL (my dd has her rifle, & I paid $99 for it ).
Old August 11, 2008, 08:14 PM   #3
Gunruner

Our newest Wal-Mart hasn't any black powder stuff at all and they told me they wouldn't be carrying any? We are in WV! Lots of muzzleloading here, strange....................Mike
Old August 12, 2008, 03:56 AM   #4
Shotgun Willy

The local Wallyworld here in Oklahoma did away with their gun counter a couple of years ago. Last week, like last year about this time, they set out a half dozen low-end in-lines, and some supplies. Their prices on Borebutter and Pyrodex aren't that great. However, about the end of hunting season, the Pyrodex RS goes to about $11, and the BB to $4. That's when I'll stock up again.
Old August 12, 2008, 12:29 PM   #5
Wild Bill Bucks

Local Wally here has small supply of stuff, but they are getting $34.00 for pyrodex pellets, and $36.00 for 777. I can buy my ( loose) powders cheaper from my local gun shop at around $20.00 per pound for either.

I have access to 5 different wally's within 50 miles from where I live, and every one of them has different prices on just about everything. Funny how my local super store seems to be higher than any of the others.

I also buy after the season is over when they close out all the ML products. That way I don't have to take my vasoline with me.
Old August 12, 2008, 04:51 PM   #6
Hawg

Bout the only M/L supplies I buy at WM is Pyrodex. Most of their stuff now is for inlines. That should change because of the new hunting laws here. Inlines should start disappearing from the shelves starting this deer season. Unfortunately that probably means WM won't sell any M/L supplies.
Old August 13, 2008, 10:06 AM   #7
Pahoo

Quote:
That should change because of the new hunting laws here.
Interesting and will have to look into this as I rarely shoot 209 primers, even in my in-lines. !!!

Be Safe !!!
Old August 13, 2008, 11:22 AM   #8
Hawg

Last year MS. allowed centerfire single shot breech loading rifles .38 and above with either bp or smokeless. The only requirement was it have an external hammer. H&R(NEF)Handi Rifles in 45-70 and 450 Marlin were hot sellers last year. This year I heard they're dropping the caliber limit to 35 which will include the 35 Whelen. Scopes are allowed too. The MS. DWFP site hasn't been updated for this years season yet but I got it from a reliable source. Most of the hunters I know hate bp and only use it to lengthen their hunting. Last year Wal Mart(around here) only kept one or two inlines in stock at any given time and no sidelocks. I imagine in MS. inlines are going the way of the 8 track. As much as I despise inlines I'd rather see them in the woods during primitive weapons season than cartridge rifles shooting smokeless rounds. I mean c'mon, what's primitive about a scoped 35 Whelen?
Old August 13, 2008, 02:10 PM   #9
Pahoo

Amazing how the state's "Carp-Cops" come up with this stuff and usually it's to increase lincense sales. Now we have too many deer and fewer hunters. All over the Midwest, they are increasing City, County Parks and State parks, to "Special Hunts" (mostly Bow). I can see M/L's will be next. Last year they had gut-piles on bike paths and mothers trying to sheild their kids from wounded deer and blood trails. All too often they implement these actions and then have problems with enforcement and procedures.

Most in-lines do not have hammers as they are called "strikers". I can see that most in-lines won't be sold. This year, our local Wal-Marts are only carrying in-lines with starter kits, in blister packs. Last year they carried T.C. Omegas that have exposed hammers and are still classified as in-lines. Go figure !!!

Hawg, thanks for the info and probably heads up!!

Be Safe !!!
Old August 16, 2008, 03:37 PM   #10
ELMOUSMC

Check out this site:addictedtoblackpowder.com
Old August 16, 2008, 03:42 PM   #11
ELMOUSMC

OOps forgot to add:Jon Blackert 1-815-542-6287
He does business as:Crater fireworks,blasting and black powder
Old August 16, 2008, 03:47 PM   #12
Pahoo

ELMOUSMC

Thanks for the info. .... Pahoo

Be Safe !!!
Old August 16, 2008, 04:28 PM   #13
sundance44s

The Walmart here only stocks muzzle loading stuff right before the deer season ...then by Jan ..it all goes on sale because they don`t want to stock it through the year ...so Pyrodex goes for 9 bucks a can and caps go for 2 bucks a tin ...I try to stock up on the caps then ...Remington caps for 2 bucks a tin ...Kinds odd they don`t want to stock it ..go figure .
Old August 16, 2008, 04:45 PM   #14
Pahoo

sundance44s,
I know what you mean and I won't to bring it to their attention. Last year I bought some musket caps in their discount aisle and then a month later, they were on the shelf at the regular price, for the season. I also bought two more #11 brass cappers for $3.00 each. I have paid as little at $8.00 for containers of 777. They now expect me when they discount their M/L stuff. I have donated some of this material to conservation groups.

Be Safe !!!
Old August 17, 2008, 12:33 AM   #15
Shotgun Willy

I was in Walmart a little while ago, and checked out their ML stuff, for grins. Last year they stocked #11 Remington caps. This year they're stocking Winchester #11. I didn't even know Win. did percussion caps.
Old August 17, 2008, 10:57 PM   #16
Gaucho Gringo

It is too bad that Bi-Mart is only a regional, employee owned chain of stores in the Pacific Northwest. They are very gun friendly, having a larger amount of guns and accessories than any Wal-mart I have ever been in. As far as regular prices Triple 7 is $19.99, Pyrodex is $13.99, and Pyrodex RS is $15.99. They usually put their gun related items on sale every 4 or 5 weeks. All powders are $2.00 off and items like caps and balls are similarly discounted. All of their other firearm related items are similarly discounted and I buy my smokeless powders and primers when they are on sale. They will also special order almost any firearm made and have the catalogs instore. I try to purchase as much as I can to patronize a gun friendly chain even though they don't have everything, there are 3 of their stores within 5 miles of me.
Old August 18, 2008, 10:30 AM   #17
Pahoo

Yes, sadly Wal-Mart has caved in on a lot of issues. They are still a good place to shop but most are short on hunting and gun related material. Sure wish we had one of those Bi-Marts locally as those are darn good prices. If you live in Oregon, my compliments as I feel they are one state that has "stuff" together on hunter/shooter support.

Be Safe !!!
Old September 14, 2008, 10:30 PM   #18
redbird2

M/L stuff @ Walmart

I was trying a few weeks ago to locate the New FPB from Hornady. I contacted 3 Walmart's in Northern Michigan; in Traverse City, Petosky & Gaylord. Each carried no ML items at that time. The next day I mentioned to a muzzleloadong buddy of mine. He told me that a week earlier he had visited a Walmart store in West Bracnh, MI and they had an extensive blackpowder section. Rifles and accessories. Go figure!!!!! I have no idea what is going on with Wally World!!!
Old September 16, 2008, 01:52 PM   #19
sundance44s

We need to change their name to Wackey World ..
Old September 22, 2008, 07:27 PM   #20
RoaringBull

M/L stuff at Wal-Mart? Boy that must be nice.......most of them down here are trying to get rid of firearms all together.