The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old March 23, 2007, 02:19 PM   #51
Beckerich

you were nervous but i wud be too, i think if u had your hand on the gun and said " i have a gun" he would have backed off, a bit dangerous to go pointing it that soon.
Old March 23, 2007, 06:07 PM   #52
stephen426

Quote:
Think about carrying some intermediate self defense tool like pepper spray in addition to your pistol. In this situation I think that could have worked well; he comes closer after you tell him to stop, you spray him and thus buy time to drive away. Perhaps just holding up the spray would ward him off, and then you could have no risk of being charged with brandishing you pistol. I don't think you can be charged with brandishing or anything for holding up a pepper spray. (Can you?)
This is a great idea... provided that the bad guy is not armed. Pepper spray may impair his vision, but he will still be able to shoot in your general direction and possible hit you. I do like having non-lethal options, but be sure you are able to match or surpass the threat level that your opponent has presented.

I am seriously considering buying a taser for the wife since I can't convince her to carry a gun. Since tasers are "designed to be" non-lethal, she would have much less hesistation to zap someone that was acting in a threatening manner towards her. She fears that a gun can be taken away from her and used against her, which is a valid concern.
Old March 24, 2007, 05:41 AM   #53
threegun

Anytime a stranger approaches my car my gun is out and ready however hidden from the view of all including the stranger. If he walks up to my car and sees the gun oh well (it won't be pointing at him if not a serious threat yet). If you point early might be charged......If you wait to long might die allowing yourself to get behind in the reactionary curve. I say be in the middle gun drawn and ready but still hidden.
Old March 24, 2007, 09:03 AM   #54
Beckerich

or just tell him you have a gun, judging by your voice he would be able to tell you're serious if he keeps coming you know he wants trouble.
Old March 24, 2007, 10:46 AM   #55
stephen426

I hate to say it, but some of these guys are "not all there" and they are not scared by guns. In fact, some of these guys may see it as a challenge (like I said, some of them are not all there) These guys would pose as bums washing your windshield. When you roll down your window to either tell them no or give them some money, thats when they attack. This was especially bad around the downtown area.

I carried between my seat and the center console where it was only visible if you were close enough to the window. One guy backed off and asked if I was a cop. Another guy challenged me and said "what are you going to do? Shoot me?" It is a proven fact that a fair percentage of homeless have some mental health issues. DO NOT ASSUME THEY WILL REACT RATIONALLY!!!

Some good practices are...
1. Always be aware of your surroundings, especially in areas known for high crime rates. If possible, avoid these areas.

2. Leave enough room between you and the car infront of you so that you have room to manuever. If there are no cars and someone is approaching, you might consider running the light. Few officers would ticket even if they saw you. Of course you need to be very careful and you should only do it as a last resort.

3. Leave your windows rolled up. Consider adding smash proof tints on your car (made by 3M). I did this for my previous car.

4. Honk your horn to attract attention if you are boxed in. Criminals hate having lots of witnesses and may call off an attack if there is too much unwanted attention.

5. Practice drawing from where you keep your gun in the car (or from where you carry on your person). Drawing from an SOB holster is harder than you think when you are sitting down and strapped in. Be sure to unload the gun before you do this PLEASE!

6. Consider less than lethal options such as pepper spray and tasers. These guys may just be homeless guys trying to bum some change. Being poor and bumming change is not a crime in any city I know of.

If you guys have any other suggestions, feel free to add them. I hope this helps!
Old April 6, 2007, 05:20 AM   #56
nbk2000

You pull up to a light, with a car in front and back of you.

Dude walks up with no shirt on, hands in plain sight, asking for a light, cigarette in hand.

You pass him through the slightly rolled down window a pack of matches or he sticks the cigarette through and you light it with the car lighter.

He drops (matches/cigarette) and bends over to pick it up.

He comes back up with a pistol from an ankle holster. BANG!

Or, he picks up the piece of rebar that he previously laid down on the road at the centerline divider, right about where your car is stopped for the light, and smashes the window to drag you out.

You didn't notice the 'road debris' because you weren't going to drive over it, now did you?

A small sprayer of pepper GEL, not spray or foam, would be good for use from inside of the car, since there'd be virtually no effect to you, but that's only if they're being an annoyance.

If you decided to pull and have it in hand, it might be good to check a Chilton manual or such, so you know where the body work and mechanicals are located in the car door, so you can shoot through the parts of the door with nothing but sheet-metal and air between the bullet and the thug.

Though if you feel like shooting, it'd be better to roll down the window so you don't have to shoot through the door or blow out the window.

Depending on your gun, you may need to hold it a certain way to keep all the shell casings inside the car.

Oh, and wearing gloves whenever you load the gun to keep your fingerprints off the casings is helpful too.
Old April 6, 2007, 08:51 AM   #57
Mike P. Wagner

Quote:
Though if you feel like shooting, it'd be better to roll down the window so you don't have to shoot through the door or blow out the window.
I would think that this would make for a challenging self-defense argument, unless the person outside the window did have gun.

Quote:
Oh, and wearing gloves whenever you load the gun to keep your fingerprints off the casings is helpful too.
Why?

Mike
Old April 6, 2007, 12:40 PM   #58
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Depending on your gun, you may need to hold it a certain way to keep all the shell casings inside the car.

Agree with Mike. Why in the world would you do that if the shooting was justified, or are you contemplating premeditated murder?

In any case, TFL is not a school for teaching how to tamper with evidence.

Closed.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Closed Thread