The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old April 8, 2005, 04:55 PM   #1
USP45usp

Exactly what is and is not "firearms" related?

There have been many OT posts but one of mine, the "Dang Weather/Infections" post was firearms related, yet many of the ones that are OT are being left open.

So, if you please, a summary of what can, and cannot, be posted in relation to "firearms".

Wayne
Old April 8, 2005, 05:29 PM   #2
Mal H
Staff

Wayne, I can only give you my opinion of what is and what is not a firearms related topic. Other moderators may have a different opinion. We don't have a SOP Manual or Moderators Guidebook. We tend to drive these forums seat-of-the-pants. It seems to work well for the most part.

When I view a post or thread, I look for the single primary topic. Usually there is one specific topic that stands out, and there may be one or more secondary topics. If the primary topic is concerned with firearms, then I consider the entire post or thread firearms related. Now if the primary topic is not firearms related, but one of the secondary topics is, then a judgement call has to be made as to whether it should stay or go. Fairly simple and straightforward.

As for your weather/infection thread, about the only firearms relation I found was a single mention of going rifle shooting. The primary topic by a wide margin was your infection. IMO, the closure was proper for TFL.

Note that there will always be exceptions to this procedure (it's far from being a rule). A lot of judgment calls must be made. Some are good calls in the eyes of the membership, some are not. C'est la vie.
Old April 8, 2005, 05:57 PM   #3
USP45usp

Mal, sensop:

Okay, I understand now. Yes, I guess the primary on my post was being sick but I worded it wrong. I meant to say that I hate being sick (getting sick) when I've been wanting to go to the range and fire my rifles of which I have around 7 now that I've never had the chance to fire.

Since I know what everyone is looking for, I'll try to word my posts better so there is no misunderstanding that it is firearms related .

To tell you the truth, I kinda figured that I had written it wrong when all the replies were, "Hope you feel better". Was expecting more "sick" stories on folks looking to fire their new guns or things that have really kept them from doing range time that they were looking forward to it.

Thanks .

Wayne