The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 13, 2012, 09:41 AM   #51
Glenn E. Meyer

Told my wife about the 'dupa' - cracked her up.

As far as the holster working for you, it works till you shoot your dupa!
Old March 14, 2012, 09:59 PM   #52
NWGlocker

One of the local gun shop employees recommended the Serpa to me when I bought my first Glock. I bought the holster, used it for some of my first IDPA competitions and used it in a 2-day defensive handgun class. While I never had a problem with it and had no ND's, I stopped using it after 6 months. Here's my own reasoning:

Using the locking tab adds a complicated series of motions. The index finger is "activated", flexing on the tab/button. You draw the gun out of the holster and the finger is supposed to fall on the frame. You then have to relax the finger, move it to the trigger guard, and then flex it again. Flex-press-relax-flex into trigger guard.

Compare that to a non-locking holster. Your index/trigger finger is extended or already relaxed while you draw the gun, then it flexes into the trigger guard. 2 steps instead of multiple steps

In non-stressful situations and even competitions with my Serpa, I can get a proper grip on the gun, hit the tab, and the finger falls on the frame. I'm completing my draw stroke without a problem.

But what if I'm in a stressful, life-threatening situation? Maybe I won't get that proper grip. Maybe my hand will be just a little high or just a little low on the grip, forcing my finger to be a little off. I might forget to relax the finger when I pull out and I'm so adrenalin pumped that my entire shooting hand balls up...and the finger slips into the trigger guard a little too early. Or I might miss the tab altogether and I'm trying to tug and tug on my gun while it stays locked in the holster. Or maybe it'll clear the holster and the shot breaks when I want it to.

Others will be happy with the holster, and will never have a ND with it-- that's all great. I never had a ND with a Serpa, but I'm not willing to keep taking chances with it. Too many uncertainties.

Last edited by NWGlocker; March 17, 2012 at 11:01 PM.
Old March 17, 2012, 09:42 PM   #53
Glenn E. Meyer

Match today, a very skilled shooter and LEO had a new Serpa - had problems freeing the gun. Said he would have to practice quite a bit.

Thus, for someone who doesn't practice intensively, not the way to go, IMHO.
Old March 18, 2012, 07:08 PM   #54
kraigwy

No body should carry any pistol/revolver in any holster withwout practicing ............A LOT.

At least until it comes as a second nature.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 20, 2012, 08:54 AM   #55
booker_t

I have no problem with the Serpa, I own one for my Glock 20 and it's great.

The only downside is if you are rolling around in loose material, mud, snow, etc. The mechanism could become caked, requiring additional force that could lead to a mistake. If you're going into a messy environment, I'd say get a different holster.

Regarding the Tex Grubner incident, he's a moron. I'd say it to his face. He switched guns and switched holsters and went full speed ahead, when his fundamentals weren't in place. It was a "tactical timebomb" waiting to blow. It is a bad example for everybody and unfortunately, many follow in his (and similar peoples') footsteps.

I hate to be judgemental, but I am going to be for a minute because it needs to be said. For some reason, firearms, and gun sports, attract a lot of people who frankly should have a less dangerous hobby. People who are not naturally athletic or coordinated think that with a few practice runs in front of the mirror can draw and fire like Chris Costa in the DVDs. It's this "need for speed" that is going to continue to produce injuries and accidents. There are a dozen phrases about going slow, but when the clock is ticking nobody seems to care. They get caught up in the moment and forget to breathe, let alone how to properly operate their holster or maintain trigger finger discipline. That's why I only shoot at private clubs.

Thanks for the analysis Kraig, good stuff.