The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 14, 2010, 08:33 PM   #1
Big Tom

My Review on the Mossberg Mavereick 88 (20 Gauge)

My Review on the Mossberg Mavereick 88 (20 Gauge)

Okay, first let me say that I got this gun with ear plugs, universal cleaning kit,
and a box of 25 Remington 7 1/2 shot all for 177.00! Anyways back to the review, the gun has a very likeable feel to it. The recoil pad enforces that comfort. This gun is not of the highest quality and so it is highly recomended you keep it well oiled (which is not to say it isnt a reliable gun). It holds six shots in 2 3/4" and 5 in 3". It weights about 7 lbs and has a 26" modified barrel. I recommend this gun to people with a very limited budget. At the price you buy this gun for it is VERY good. The recoil is less then I had expected. You can also change barrels (other sold seperatly) from a 18, 20, 24, 26, 28, or slug as well. So if you want a gun you can go out and shoot dove, quail, pheasant, home defense, deer, or whatever else, his gun something I recommend. It iks much similar to the Mossberg 500. Anyways I am happy with it so check it out! And I know
this isnt the best review, but its the first one I ever did so....ya....this is my first gun too btw and I will be getting a Marlin 795ss and a New England Pardener hopefully this weekend. And you can bet I will be putting reviews up of them too. Anyways, thanks for reading!

Big Tom!
Old January 14, 2010, 09:59 PM   #2
the rifleer

i have the 500 in 20 gauge and love it too. its a fantastic shot gun that shoots the first time everytime, and you cant complain about that. Plus it fits me very well and i love everything about it.
Old January 14, 2010, 10:03 PM   #3
dougmoss12

i just got a mossburg mavrick 88 12 gauge three days ago i love the feel of it! im sure its gonna shoot pretty well :tup:
Old January 14, 2010, 11:35 PM   #4
nefprotector

So do you guys have the field gun or personal defense?
Old January 15, 2010, 01:11 AM   #5
the rifleer

I don't think that question was directed towards me, but mine came with two barrels, so kinda both. i usually use the long barrel because it has choke and i can shoot clays with it very well, but ideally for me the 18.5'' barrel would have a choke. i do some pretty unconventional skeet shooting, so a short barrel is nice because i can swing it faster, but obviously without a choke it isn't much use for shooting clays. it works, but not as well.
Old January 16, 2010, 02:45 PM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Congrats,Tom. The Maverick is a lot of shotgun for the money.

Enjoy.

Now, go wear it out. I dare ya....
Old January 16, 2010, 03:22 PM   #7
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
Now, go wear it out. I dare ya....
I double dawg dare ya...
Brent
Old January 19, 2010, 08:11 PM   #8
Big Tom

mossy500camo, My gun is the field version.

Dave McC, thanks!