The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 17, 2015, 07:47 PM   #1
PA32Mark

Need a little help ID'ing this ammo

I recently picked up a batch of loose 7.62x39 ammo, a big green metal GI ammo can completely full of it, got it really cheap. It had a torn off "White Box" ammo label thrown in the can with all the loose ammo, but I have no way of knowing for sure if it indeed is the good "White Box" ammo, or the cardboard end flap was just thrown in the can with the loose rounds. I think it is Federal good clean (non-corrosive and re-loadable) ammo, but I just wanted to confirm with you knowledgeable folks. Did Federal make the "White Box" stuff? Could one of you smart folks take a look at the pic and tell me what you think? I've got one nice 7.62x39 rifle and do not want to shoot crappy or corrosive ammo in it. Many thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 762x39_WhatIsThis.JPG (50.9 KB, 38 views)
Old August 17, 2015, 07:55 PM   #2
ammo.crafter

unknown ammo

Head stamp looks like Federal Cartridge Co.
Old August 17, 2015, 10:14 PM   #3
Jay24bal

Federal is the headstamp, and they make American Eagle, so the ammo may very well be what the box end says it is.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old August 18, 2015, 12:34 PM   #4
precision_shooter

I googled the part no: A76239A, looks like federal still uses that same part no for the newly packaged (red/black box) American Eagle 7.62x39 ammo. Headstamp is Federal. All indicators point to it being old Federal American Eagle ammo. So it should be non-corrosive, and may yield decent accuracy.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old August 19, 2015, 04:19 AM   #5
bamaranger

deal

I think you got a deal!!!