The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 16, 2011, 10:14 PM   #26
pax

Quote:
The Benny Hill music, title "Do not do this" and being categorized as "comedy" didn't get noticed by anyone else?
A little backstory: the video was first posted as a very serious "come train with us!" advertisement on the school's YouTube channel. When several bloggers began mercilessly mocking the stupidity, it was linked by Glenn Reynolds at Instapundit. At that point, rather than continuing to tolerate the merciless laughter from the unwashed, the school pulled down the video.

But the internets are forever. Someone else had saved the video, and uploaded the version you see with the music. Of course it belongs in the comedy section. (sigh. I'm not laughing. Stupid idiot morons with guns make all of us look bad. Hardy har har.)

So that's the story. The video was indeed "serious" when it was posted.

pax
Old August 16, 2011, 11:58 PM   #27
Mr. James

Thank you, Mrs. Jackson,

As to these tools, that which is ridiculous deserves ridicule. In this case, it's the charitable thing to do - it might even save a life!!

"When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." —Frederic Bastiat
Old August 17, 2011, 12:06 AM   #28
TheNocturnus

Really? What a bunch of idiots. If 4 civilians find themselves breaching buildings and taking down multiple attackers like these "trainers" in the video are doing, they need to rethink their lives. This is not how a CCW holder should conduct themselves. Train to protect and defend not breach and destroy. There are law enforcement and military agencies that take care of the latter.
Brain (Use this one the most)
Old August 17, 2011, 06:56 AM   #29
Don P

Where is the little bald guy from Benny Hill?
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old August 17, 2011, 07:09 AM   #30
Stressfire

Quote:
I want to learn how to pull out my ninja knives and pose like the guy at the end
"Honey? Bring me my katana, will ya?"

That is just...nuts, not really sure how else to describe that...

They can't possibly be hitting with any accuracy...right?

Quote:
This is not how a CCW holder should conduct themselves
No kidding, I got 7-16 rounds (depending on carry) for me and mine. See no need to go all Diehard despite ownership of a Beretta, leave that to Willis & Shipwreck
Old August 17, 2011, 07:15 AM   #31
micromontenegro

Unbelievable
Old August 17, 2011, 07:17 AM   #32
teeroux

I still can't for the life understand why the pointman in a room clear would not shoot the threats but instead run toward them and let the other teamates wiz bullets by his head. I guess that would be a tactical human shield distraction manuver. Ninjas only please. Even them just doing some of their less dangerous drills was a joke. Fancy manuvering that is just a useless choriograph since they know exactly were each target is and what their partner's position and action is also going to do. No real world use.

I'd gladly take anyone who just has the basics down as back up, over those clowns.
Old August 17, 2011, 08:09 AM   #33
C0untZer0

If you go to their site their own promotional video is only slightly less outrageous than the Benny Hill dub.

That Beasley foists hmself off as "realistic" is incredible.

Can anyone tell me a scenario where you would stand back to back with someone - engaging enemies and then the two of you do a choregraphed spin and you put a double tap in the target your partner was formerly engaging and he puts a double tap in the targets you were engaging?

It's Hollywood.

If Beasley would have told me what all he was going to be doing before he started this venture I would have told him "You'll shoot your eye out..."

Last edited by C0untZer0; August 17, 2011 at 08:17 AM.
Old August 17, 2011, 08:39 AM   #34
Stressfire

Quote:
Can anyone tell me a scenario where you would stand back to back with someone - engaging enemies and then the two of you do a choregraphed spin and you put a double tap in the target your partner was formerly engaging and he puts a double tap in the targets you were engaging?
Wasn't that on Boondock Saints?
Old August 17, 2011, 08:53 AM   #35
Yankee Doodle

Wannabes.
Wanna be SWAT, wanna be SEALS, wanna be Rangers, wanna be Delta, wanna be Force Recon.
Gonna be injured or dead. Darwin, come back, all is forgiven.
Nuff Said.
Old August 17, 2011, 08:56 AM   #36
amflyer

This is about what my CCW class was like, except we all wore night-vision goggles and body armor...not to mention the .338 Lapua CQB and bayonet work.

I guess these folks feel comfortable with what they do. Silly them.
Old August 17, 2011, 09:19 AM   #37
teeroux

I wonder if that is where Gecko45 received his tactical training.
Old August 17, 2011, 02:39 PM   #38
Kimbertron

To me is seems this "special forces" training for the general public could put people in harms way by making them overconfident. I went to this schools website and the way the advertising was it seemed to make people believe if they went to this school they would be as bad ass as a Ranger, SEAL and so on. I have always been taught situational awareness (not just robot head turns) was most important. Also knowing your limitations. If i was in a bank and 5 guys with AK's came in demanding money and i had my ruger on me, i would do what they say let them take what they want and hope everyone leaves safely. I guess the point of my long winded comment is im curious what the classroom teachings are in schools that teach combat skills(not just this one but reputable ones as well). I think a school that teaches room clearing and things like that with reputable instructors would be a whole lot of fun for a week or weekend but as a average armed citizen with no law enforcement or military job i don't see it being very useful. Someone who has been to a school like this or has advanced military training might be able to correct me on what skill set might be useful to the average person.
Old August 17, 2011, 02:47 PM   #39
markj

Quote:
Not just no, but HELL NO.
Good, I would look very silly in them black clothes. Seemed to be a lot of folks shooting while others were moving into their line of fire.

I miss Benny Hill for sure he was one funny guy.
Old August 17, 2011, 02:58 PM   #40
BlackFeather

I just want to know what knives those were...

[Insert random irrelevant religious quote here]
Old August 17, 2011, 03:01 PM   #41
Nnobby45

Quote:
Ran across an incredibly scary video of some "training" recently.

Well, it was entertaining in a morbid sort of way. Kinda like watching any of a number of death defying entertainment stunts.

At least I hope no one mistakes this for legitimate firearms training.
Old August 17, 2011, 04:48 PM   #42
Hiker 1

Ranger, SEALs, Delta, etc. do not train this way. This is lunacy.
Old August 17, 2011, 05:40 PM   #43
Archer 9505

?

Who are they?
Old August 17, 2011, 05:52 PM   #44
jimmythegeek

which do I take first?

The 3 week Ninjitsu course has evening classes, so that's convenient.

But I wonder if an afternoon with these people would get me up to speed a little faster. I could be a commando in a weekend, then work on being a ninja. Pretty sure the ninja school curriculum is mostly hazing for the first two weeks, to make certain we're serious.
Old August 17, 2011, 07:31 PM   #45
Glockgrabber

Im all for more real world training, and especially training like from tactical response and suarez international. But this is over board, i never do this with anyone, not even any of my shooting buds who i have trained with alot. i showed this to a special forces friend and he about s*** himself laughing at these mall ninjas.
Old August 17, 2011, 07:57 PM   #46
Jo6pak

Heck, I wouldn't even do that with paintball guns. At that range even those would hurt like hell.
Old August 17, 2011, 08:26 PM   #47
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
So that's the story. The video was indeed "serious" when it was posted.
I can vouch for that. A friend who runs a local academy got a solicitation from this outfit a couple of weeks back.

Like everyone else, he flinched and asked "is this serious?" Like everyone else, his blood ran cold when he realized it was.
Old August 17, 2011, 08:29 PM   #48
skoro

American Defense Enterprises

Anyone else ever notice that so many shady businesses use the term "enterprises?"
Old August 17, 2011, 08:40 PM   #49
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Anyone else ever notice that so many shady businesses use the term "enterprises?"
What's wrong with Tom Servo's Retail Enterprises Training And Rapid Deployment? Somebody's gotta keep peace in front of Hot Topic when the new Twilight movie comes out. Sometimes somebody's gotta do it with extreme prejudice.
Old August 17, 2011, 08:56 PM   #50
sigcurious

I was curious and went to their website. They have a little video playing on the front page. At about 10 secs and 30 secs Mr. Beasley makes two very ummm... interesting statements, "We do dangerous things" (10sec) Yep sure seems like it. and "The objective is more important than your own life"(30sec) WHAT?!?

As a civilian keeping my life is the objective. Given the mallninjaness of it all, I seriously doubt they train anyone who is in a position where "the objective is more important than your own life" is even remotely true. Even in military and police situations I can think of few times where that statement is ultimately true. Furthermore when the tactics and training given, at least by what their video demonstrates, it seems more likely you would be injured by your comrade or yourself than the BG if you were to try and apply their methods.