The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 29, 2009, 11:07 PM   #1
johnny-o

Need help identifying S&W 38

I hope I'm doing this right in the right place. This is the first time I have ever been on any forums. I recently inherited a S&W .38. I'm not sure how old it is or how much it's worth and was hoping to get some help. On the right side of the barrel 38 S&W ctg is stamped.Also on the right side near the trigger under where it says made in U.S.A. there is also some writing in spanish. On the butt there is a ring of some sort hanging and the serial #(I guess) which is 18D****. I own several other weapons(semi-autos,rifles,etc.) and was wondering if I should hold on to this one to pass on to my own son when he is old enough sicne i wont be using it. Any help with the age and/or value would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old August 30, 2009, 03:28 AM   #2
10-96

Well, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess there is a "10-8" stamped in the area in front of the cylinder area (where the crane meets the frame). And would it be possible that the loop thing (lanyard ring) is not centered but ruther towards the back of the flat part of the butt? If there are any other markings on the revolver those would be helpful. But, you likely have a Model 10-8 made in 1983. It could have been made for the Royal Hong Kong Police. If it is a 3" barrel, then it could be a New York State Dept of Motor Vehicles- or a Boston Police if it has a 4" heavy bbl.
Sorry, but that's the best I can do with what I have to go on. The 2008 Blue Book listed them at $100 for one in 60% condition up to $500 for one in 100% condition. Whether to keep it or not is up to you. I'm guessing you're fairly young and your children are a fair and distant ways from knowing where their fascinations and interests will lay in the next 20 to 40 years. The pistol is a good sturdy firearm with a quite capable chambering. Me? I'd keep it for a number of reasons. If (Lord forbid) your missus, mother, elderly father, frail daughter-in-law whatever wants and needs a easy shooting, mild recoil firearm- then you'd would have had a great weapon for such a loan. Oh, and the chambering is likely .38 Smith & Wesson Special Ctg (reglar old .38 Special). Don't turn your nose up at it as far as a shooter- they can be amazingly acurate on paper once you find that pet load. I love taking an old used and abused Pre-Model 10 and shooting circles around young pups with their brand spanking new out of the box whiz-bang high dollar semi autos.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old August 30, 2009, 10:58 AM   #3
johnny-o

Wow! You're good! It is stamped there, but it says 10-7. Also stamped near that is "A3" and under that are the numbers 43624 and you're right again.....the lanyard is towards the rear of the butt. Also on the back of the handle is "RHKP 2645".(ROYAL HONG KONG POLICE?).And it looks to be a 4 inch barrel. Again, thanks for sharing your knowledge. It is very interesting to me to learn the history of these type of things.
Old September 19, 2009, 05:48 PM   #4
gyvel

Are we sure that it is chambered for .38 Special? Earlier Hong Kong police guns were chambered for .38 S&W.
Old September 19, 2009, 06:11 PM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

RHKP changed to .38 Special in the late 1970s early 1980s.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 19, 2009, 06:34 PM   #6
BillCA

By the serial number, your gun was made circa 1983 and is a Model 10-7, Military & Police .38 Special.

The barrel markings should say .38 S&W Special CTG. The .38 S&W CTG is a shorter, fatter cartridge of lower power and S&W stopped making those in 1965.

The Royal Hong Kong police guns like these came equipped with a lanyard ring on the butt so that the gun would not be lost or easily taken in a close quarters scuffle. A short stout cord was attached to the ring and the other end anchored on the policeman's belt.

The marking 2645 RHKP is the ID number used by the RHK police to identify the gun. These are excellent practical revolvers that are simple, rugged, reliable and usually very accurate. Earlier guns have the thinner "pencil barrel" as shown above. Later models probably have the thicker "bull" barrel with no taper.

On the right side, the Spanish marking is "Marcas Registradas" which S&W put on their guns after WW-II to help reduce the incidence of copies being made in Spain.

There are several ways to preserve the gun for your son. The simplest is a periodic wiping down with a lightly oiled cloth to protect the exterior. But if you want to store it for a long term, a heavier grease should be applied to the bore, chambers and surface to prevent rust formation (due to humidity). Any good gunshop should be able to advise you on products like Rig Gun Grease or the use of VCI product (vapor corrosion inhibitors).

You might also consider investing in a few boxes of .38 Special ammunition to store along with the gun. By the time your son is old enough, ammo might be harder to come by or much more expensive. Ammo can be stored for decades without too much problem.
Old October 16, 2009, 06:21 PM   #7
Tunavitch

I have a similar piece

I have a Smith & Wesson 38 Cal. CTG. double action revolver with a 4" barrel. The side of the barrel reads - S&W 38 CTG -, the Serial No. is V636933, located on the butt next to the lanyard ring, and on the inside of the cylinder. It has a smooth stock and a black matte finish. On top next to the fixed sight it reads 6 U.S. PROPERTY G.H.D, on top fo the barrel it reads SMITH & WESSON SPRINGFIELD MASS. USA PATENTED FEB. 6 06 SEPT. 14 09 DEC. 29 14 From what I have found it is "Victory" revolver given to pilots and MP's. Can anyone give me anymore information on this piece? It's history, what it might be worth and what it was really used for? It is a great little weapon, in great shape and shoots straight as an arrow. . . Thanks!