The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 8, 2005, 12:55 AM   #1
Sierra_Nevada

Dixie gun works hawken kit problem

this is my first black powder rifle. it is a dixie gun works hawken kit (cap lock). i am trying to install the barrel. i have attached a barrel rib to the bottom of the barrel (supports cleaning rod). when i try to install the barrel assembly it does not fit. when i try to seat the barrel the rib rests on top of the brass nose cap instead of in front of it stopping the barrel. supposedly this kit is all inletted and ready to go. it seems that the rib is too long. the barrel sits fine if the rib is off. anyone tried this kit, had this type of problem, or any suggestions? i sent an e-mail to dixie tonight also. the rifle is just about ready to go. its just the rib holding me back!

thx!
Old August 8, 2005, 07:59 AM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Kits are rarely in their entirety "drop-in." You may have to fit it a bit by relieving the stock. Some folks use inletting black (available commercially) which is an oily composition that has black soot (so I think) mixed in. It is applied to the part to be fitted and when the part is fitted against the wood, leaves the black mark on the area of the wood to be removed. I tend to use the black tip marker for the same purpose.

Never having worked on a half-stock gun (or examined enough of them), I can't tell you how far the rib goes into the stock. For asethetics though, I would think that it should appear flush.
Old August 8, 2005, 11:46 PM   #3
arcticap

Shorten the rib?

If the rib is sitting on the brass nose cap, it sounds like the rib is too long and needs to be shortened a bit, yes? Can that be done without losing any
retaining screws? I hope so.