The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 30, 2010, 01:21 AM   #1
Georgian

Maverick 88 or NEF Pardner Protector?

Hey yall. I really wanna treat myself to another HD shotgun, and am on a budget. I'm really torn though..... I love the smooth action and light weight of the Maverick 88, but admire the PP for its heft and 870-esque characteristics. Does anyone have any guidance for me?

God Bless
Old March 30, 2010, 01:26 AM   #2
SigP6Carry

Well, you say "another" HD Shotgun, so I assume you already have one. What is your shotgun that you currently own? That could sway which one people recommend greatly.
Old March 30, 2010, 01:58 AM   #3
Georgian

I have an 870 and a Stoeger Coachgun, but would like another pump.

God Bless
Old March 30, 2010, 07:12 AM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I would choose any gun from a family owned/operated co. over one run by a "holdings" firm.

Plus I like the idea of american made over imported from 3rd world nations...
Brent
Old March 30, 2010, 11:56 AM   #5
SigP6Carry

Well, political and economic basis aside... I suggest the NEF since you already have an 870. There are some parts that are interchangeable, so it would make it convenient when you'll shopping for accessories.
Old March 30, 2010, 06:49 PM   #6
jmortimer

Pardner Protector imported by Remington is an 870 Clone with all parts interchangable except barrels need a spacer - Max100 is the expert on this gun. My gun shop recommend that I get one as I had a $200.00 credit - they said they have sold hundreds and have never had one returned for any reason. Great gun - great price. Remmington is doing us a favor by importing the Pardner Protector.
Old March 30, 2010, 07:36 PM   #7
oneounceload

Basically - Mexican vs Chinese - what's your preference?

I'm sure either will work for the most part, under most situations with some degree of reliability.........at least you would hope so.
Old March 30, 2010, 11:49 PM   #8
SigP6Carry

Honestly? I picked up a Mossberg 500 for less than $150 used. Look out for the used market. It's much more accommodating to the patient buyer than you think.

If you want new: I suggest the Maverick 88 just because I prefer the 500, myself. But if you like the 870 more? The NEF is a better choice.
Old March 31, 2010, 04:09 PM   #9
MAX100

I can't believe you would even consider a Mav 88 over a NEF H&R Protector. The Protector is a much more durable & versatile shotgun.

I don't like the fact that the Moss 500 & 88 shotguns have a closed sealed mag tube and a steel receiver on a tactical shotgun is always a better choice in my opinion.

GC
Old March 31, 2010, 09:04 PM   #10
SigP6Carry

I can. I believe that the Mossberg designed shotguns are infinitely better than weapons based on the Remington because.... wait, why do I think that? What?

Oh, wait, they're essentially the same. The only thing that's truly different between the NEF and the Mav, to me at least, is the action bar release. Beyond that: (to me) they're the same gun.
Old April 1, 2010, 12:03 PM   #11
jlv08

I like the Mossberg Persuader or 590, Or the NEF Pardner Protector. The nod going to the Protector.

The Pardner is a well built gun and the Chinese seem to have a fetish for building good weapons.

I had one in 12 Gauge in the form of the Pardner Pump field gun and it was a robustly constructed gun.

I traded it off as it was a bit heavy for me.

I have the Pardner Compact in 20 ga. with 21" barrel, in walnut and blue and just love the gun.

Any of those guns mentioned will do you right if you do your part.

As to tactical use....

All of the sage shotgunners here have said it way better than I could.
Old April 2, 2010, 09:55 PM   #12
Kmar40

Chinese have a fetish for making good weapons?

hahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahaha

Wow!

US made Maverick over china**** any day of the week. If you're gonna buy junk, at least hold out for Turkish, Yugo, or Brazilian.

If you want some fine chinese weaponry just let me know. I'll send you some of the heap of dung scopes I've bought.
Old April 3, 2010, 05:03 PM   #13
jlv08

The man was asking a decent question and I was giving him a decent answer. I have been messing with these guns for a while and also had a bunch of Chinese SKS rifles and not one has EVER malfunctioned.

But we are talking shotguns here, aren't we? NOT SCOPES!

I dare you to post and ask anyone who owns the Pardner Pump and who've used it for a while, whether they consider it junk. I DARE YOU TO ASK.

The fact is that the Chinese build weapons like they are serious about it.

The fact that you use language that is not supposed to be used on this forum to belittle someone posting on a subject shows you to be an uninformed, disrepectful individual.

Before you make nasty remarks to folks here you should arm yourself with facts and try to show folks here that you have some respect to others who are making a friendly comment to the original posters question.

The Maverick is a nice PRICEPOINT shotgun and it would serve anyone well.

The Pardner pump is an all steel, forged steel receiver, machined aluminum trigger housing, using real walnut, well made shotgun and beats the pants of anything from Turkey to Timbuktu in it's price range as far as third world offerings go.

I would not feel undergunned by either of the two but my PREFERENCE is the Pardner Pump. I have owned many Mossberg products.

I remember when people considered Mossbergs junk compared to the venerable Remington 870.

I would ask you to clean up you language as this is a family forum.

I'm surprised that the moderator hasn't called you on your nasty post.
Old April 3, 2010, 08:15 PM   #14
jmortimer

KMAR40 what a rude response - I hope that is not your I.Q. Ignorance is no excuse for rude behavior. The Pardner Protector imported by Remington is a fine gun with a well deserved reputation for reliability and easliy the best value for your $$$. Universal reports by actual owners are the same - absolute relibility and good/great quality. Sorry - the facts are tough things. How about an apology - something along the lines of "Sorry I'm ignorant of the actual facts and I am sorry for being rude."
Old April 3, 2010, 08:41 PM   #15
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
"Sorry I'm ignorant of the actual facts and I am sorry for being rude."
How about you first?
Quote:
The Pardner Protector imported by Remington
Now who is "ignorant of the actual facts"?

It is not imported by Remington! It is, in actual fact, imported by NEF...

Just because the same "holdings firm" acquired NEF under their Remington brand doesn't mean Remington has any hand in NEF (lord help NEF if they do) dealings!

And one more point of note... The NEF Pardner Pump was the same cheap 3rd world import long before the NEF name got bought by the holdings firm that also owns Remington.

As for
Quote:
is a fine gun with a well deserved reputation for reliability and easliy the best value for your $$$.
The few Pardner Chinese guns had the same rough ugly metal finish as the Rem Express... At least the Mav 88 has a smooth deep BLUED finish.

The Chinese do not have a reputation for making "fine arms"... NEVER HAVE AND NEVER WILL!!! They have a reputation of blowing out millions at a low cost with a low percentage of failures. The low percentage is based on the millions of guns compared to the lower but better production of the AMERICAN MADE guns... At least Mossberg makes their IMPORTED line obvious with the "Mossberg International" moniker... But all of their pumps are AMERICAN MADE.
Brent
Old April 3, 2010, 09:11 PM   #16
Kmar40

No dung from china has a well earned reputation for anything except being cheap in all the worst senses of the word.

You probably like NCStar also.
Old April 3, 2010, 09:19 PM   #17
TxGun

Mossberg receivers and stocks are produced in North Haven, CT. Barrels, triggers and bolt assemblies are produced in Torreon, Mexico from raw steel sent from the U.S. Then the formed parts are shipped from both locations to Eagle Pass, TX. and assembled into complete firearms. This is NOT just the process for Maverick firearms. It is the process for ALL Mossberg products. "American made"? Yes. With significant foreign parts? Also yes. Personally, I don't have a problem with it.
Old April 3, 2010, 09:25 PM   #18
noyes

China North Industries Corporation (NORINCO) has completed development of its new LG3 40 mm automatic grenade launcher (AGL) and is now marketing it globally.
Old April 3, 2010, 10:06 PM   #19
wvshootist

I will not make any negative comments about the Maverick pump shotgun because I have exactly zero experience with it.

Now on the other hand I do have a Pardner Protector and it has been nothing short of dependable. Its only negative would be that it is a little on the heavy side but then that would be good for clobbering bad guys.

Mine loads and ejects like it is supposed to and fires when I pull the trigger. I would guess that the Maverick does about as well and when I was looking for an HD shotgun I considered the Maverick also.

I really doubt if you would lose out which ever scatter gun you choose.

http://mountainperspectives.blogspot.com/
Old April 3, 2010, 10:06 PM   #20
jmortimer

Hogdogs - are you really that uninformed? Both the H&R site and the Marlin site specifically state that there is no H&R - it is wholly owned by Marlin which is wholly owned by Remington which is owned by Cerberus Capital Management. Remington calls the shots and Marlin/Remington/Cerberus import the Pardner Protector not H&R as it no longer exists - it is a brand name like Chevrolet or Lincoln.

Last edited by jmortimer; April 4, 2010 at 11:44 AM.
Old April 3, 2010, 10:19 PM   #21
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

But the fact remains... that same chinese gun is the one imported far previous to Marlin acquiring them or Remington getting it's quality dropping meat pounders on Marlin... The shame in it all is that marlin and H&R offerings will surely go down hill as the big green did.

H&R is more than a "brand" of remington... It was at one time an independent quality arms maker that chose to import a chinese pump rather than try to build an american gun competitive with other USA made guns...

A true "brand" of a company in the way you think of H&R would be Maverick by Mossberg... A brand created by Mossberg to offer lower priced guns without putting theMossberg name on it. Remington failed to do this in the 870 express line and many folks have no idea how sharp an old Wingmaster was.

So to be fair, from now on how about calling it the Pardner Protector imported by Cerebus.

Brent
Old April 3, 2010, 10:26 PM   #22
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
Both the H&R site and the Marlin site specifically state that there is no H&R
Quote:
H&R as it no longer exists - it is a brand name like Chevrolet or Lincoln. There is no H&R for a fact
Well I read the H&R site and found the following...

Quote:
In November of 2000, the Marlin Firearms Company purchased the assets of H&R 1871, Inc. Marketing its products under the brand names of Harrington & Richardson® and New England Firearms®, H&R 1871, LLC is currently the largest manufacturer of single shot shotguns and rifles in the world.
The above calls H&R the largest manufacturer of single shot shotguns and rifles... Hardly just an H&R badge on a Marlin/remington...
Brent
Old April 4, 2010, 06:24 AM   #23
jlv08

Well, Mavericks have parts made in Mexico, the greatest inporter of illegal imigrants and now responsible for the deaths of several Americans as of late.

Where's the outrage?

But I don't hear anyone spewing vitriol or coming off with bias towards folks who like what ever they choose for a shotgun, even if parts are coming from Mexico.

There are a few on this forum who will hijack a thread to spew discord and rant and rail without backing up their comments with facts.

It's real sad that people in here have to turn this great site into a sandlot and pick at folks who want to have a decent discussion about their shotgun of choice.

If you don't like watching the "View" change your TV channel.

If you don't like so and so in congress, vote him out.

If you don't like a Chinese or wherever made gun, Leave your nasty comments to yourselves.

Back your comments with facts instead of making yourselves look uninformed and coming off sound like the people who would take our right to firearms ownership away with unsupported facts and comments.

To conclude, I like all of the guns that were discussed in this thread and I defend the right of folks to pick and choose what they like based on facts.

I dare anyone to find out if the Pardner Pump is indeed the Chinese junk they say it is and by the way, the finish is more of a matte blue, well applied to the metal and way better than the rusting, right out of the box, Remington Expresses we had a while back.

Now THAT was a crappy finish!

By the way, as far as NCstar scopes go, ya gets what ya pays for.

There is junk that comes from China and there is some quality stuff that comes from China. Just look at your cell phone and see if it doesn't say "Made in China."

Last edited by jlv08; April 4, 2010 at 11:22 AM.
Old April 8, 2010, 01:51 PM   #24
nefprotector

I have both and I like the NEF better. The Maverick 88 is just not reliable enough for me. (jams alot) Or I could just have a lemon. I have never had one single problem with the NEF.
Old April 8, 2010, 02:34 PM   #25
namlot1979

Okay, the guy simply asked which of the two guns we thought we be best for him and his situation, not who can out quote each other. I do not own either gun but think you should only pay attention to the post by members who actually own and USE each gun and what their experiences have been. These posts are all turning into reruns of the same arguments over and over. It is simply pathetic!