The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 27, 2014, 03:59 PM   #1
old fart

will cylinder and/or crane drop in?

this is for a friend of mine, since i don't know i thought i would ask ya'll as he doesn't have internet. he seen how well my service six performed that he found a blue security six from 1984 at a local shop. when he got it yesterday i told him to do a complete take down and cleaning. he did but his 6 yr old slipped in and got his cylinder and crane assembly. now it's still ok but it doesn't look as good. the kid beat it against the cement porch and threw it as well. the crane isn't to bad but does have dings and scratches, the cylinder looks terrible and the ejector and rod aren't good at all. he found one on gun broker and wondered if he bought it will it drop in?, he doesn't want to involve a gunsmith he is wanting to bid on it soon, so thanks for any help asap.
Old July 27, 2014, 06:41 PM   #2
Roughedge

There's a good chance it will work but there's a small chance the timing may be off. Just have to get it and see , may have to do a little work on the hand if it dont. The kid would have a sore butt if he was mine.
Old July 27, 2014, 09:52 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Maybe. Ruger's machines are pretty good, but a cylinder has to fit at so many points that finding one that works right would require a bit of luck. Has your friend tried contacting Ruger?

Jim
Old July 28, 2014, 08:00 AM   #4
old fart

yes he called ruger, they said they have no more parts. all parts were released to various suppliers such as numrich, if they couldn't fix it then he could get a gp100 at a reduced price. they didn't say exactly how much but quoted somewhere around $350-$400. he gave $400 for his so he don't want to do that as he would have way too much in the gp100. but they said if they could fix it that it would be free all he woulkd have to do is ship to them, they told him they would return ship to him no charge. thanks
Old July 28, 2014, 08:24 AM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

They need to be fitted.
Old July 29, 2014, 03:55 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

"They need to be fitted."

Or not. I once had six or seven S&W Victory Models and an equal number of cranes and cylinders that I wanted to make complete guns from. (Someone apparently had decided to "demil" a bunch of guns by removing the cranes and cylinders and throwing everything in a box. A friend picked out the best looking frames and parts and brought them to me.)

But none of the cranes, cylinders and frames matched up. (S&W numbered the crane and frame and the cylinders had the serial number.) IIRC, I got three or four guns together with no problem, and the others took only minor fitting, mostly cutting the end of the barrel a bit. One took a swipe with a file on the cylinder arbor.

Actually, I was a bit surprised how well those guys, in the middle of a war, with Civil War era machinery and old tooling, kept to tolerances. Even the front of the cranes matched pretty well, or at least good enough to sell. That was good, because I had no desire to do any polishing and then have to remove all the Parkerizing and reblue them.

Jim