The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 10, 2014, 07:19 PM   #1
CockNBama

Sore cheek

In striving for best fit, I adjusted my Maxus by maxing the drop and maxing the Cast On.

At the range, I shot better than I ever have before, but had a tender cheek after one box (of F2 Legend loads, I think 1 oz).

Anyone know why I could hit better but get hit harder?

Thanks
Old March 11, 2014, 09:45 AM   #2
g.willikers

Maybe the adjustments made the stock fit your body better, but now your cheek isn't staying on the stock with a decent "weld" fit.
Your head might be too tall for the stock, in the present arrangement.
Hard to tell, though, without a picture of you with the gun mounted as you would shoot it.
Old March 11, 2014, 02:42 PM   #3
BigJimP

Some has to see you shoot ...to tell you what's wrong...or what you're doing.

First step though.....put in a full choke / go to a pattern board....and at 21 yds or so, shoot at a 3" dot on the board (I'd recommend a quality factory shell / not reloads just to remove any issues). I'd fire 3 shells...to ensure consistency - before making any adjustment ....but the point is, the gun Fits...if it hits where you look. If its high or low ...make adjustments accordingly - so it hits where you look. You want the point of impact - to be on that dot .

You're checking for Point of Impact...not pattern size.

Your eye is the rear sight on a shotgun ...that's why all the stock dimensions are critical to "you"....vs me.../ cast on or off, drop at comb, drop at heel and length of pull...

( Make sure your face and cheek stay on the comb as you fire .../ and only shoot one shell at a time / but follow thru by releasing the trigger while still looking at the dot...don't flinch...)....
Old March 11, 2014, 09:30 PM   #4
idek

You say you maximized drop and cast. In other words, you've shifted the contact point between your shoulder as far out of alignment from the barrel as possible.

The more your butt pad lines up behind the barrel, the more the recoil will be straight back. The less the butt pad lines up behind the barrel, the more the gun will want to jump in the opposite direction. Drop the stock, the barrel will jump up more. Shift the stock right, the the barrel will twist left more.

I've put padded combs kits on a couple of my guns.
http://www.amazon.com/Beartooth-Stoc.../dp/B002L9G75K
I, too, need a good amount of stock drop, and these help mitigate the increased barrel jump.
Old March 13, 2014, 02:27 PM   #5
hoghunting

You may need to adjust the pitch, it sounds as if the toe of the recoil pad is making contact with your chest and the heel isn't. When fired, the shotgun rotates up until the heel makes contact, smacking your cheek on the way.
Old March 13, 2014, 02:56 PM   #6
Erno86

I have a padded strap-on cheek pad for my tactical shotgun, that I bought from Brownells. It helps in reducing the chance of a flinch.

--- George Orwell
Old March 13, 2014, 04:55 PM   #7
Bake

Big Jim, & Idek, are both right.

Try to avoid maxing any adjustment. The more you adjust, the more it will hit back.

The high adjustable rib, and the adjustable comb work well, because they allow the shotgun to recoil back in a straight line, and not twist & hit...